Xbox 360 + Fuzion Frenzy + Emulator = Slow?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I have the Xbox360, I've got the old original xbox title, Fuzion Frenzy, which is a favorite multiplayer party game.

The emulation runs so slow on xbox360 as to be unplayable. I've heard mixed results on the xbox360 forums, but I wanted to know if anyone here had exp. the slowdown issues with the Fuzion Frenzy game on the xbox360 - or if my Xbox360 is just screwed up.

:confused:

A number of 360 games don't run at full speed under emulation, so there's probably nothing wrong with your system.

The 360 has completely different hardware, it's a fantastic feat that M is able to emulate the old hardware at all.

cb9fl said:
The 360 has completely different hardware, it's a fantastic feat that M is able to emulate the old hardware at all.

Fantastic, it is pathetic that they cant get these games running perfectly. To begin with, the 360 has roughly 13 times the processing power and 8 times the memory of the original xbox. Also, microsoft has all the tech documents on both systems. I've seen people write homebrew emulators which ran better than microsofts. And the people writing the homebrew stuff didnt have access to full tech specs like microsoft.

I'm not trying to flame the 360 or MS, I own a 360 myself, but frankly, its pathetic that they cant write a decent emulator for the console.

demingo said:
I've seen people write homebrew emulators which ran better than microsofts. And the people writing the homebrew stuff didnt have access to full tech specs like microsoft.
point me in the direction of a decent homebrew emulator for X-BOX 1

Zinn said:
point me in the direction of a decent homebrew emulator for X-BOX 1

Sorry, I didnt mean emulators of the xbox, i meant in general. For example, I had a working n64 emulator which ran full speed on my AMD 1ghz machine, with 512mb ram a few years ago. Now that n64 emulator, was coded with with only publicly available information on the N64, and onto a platform where the config varies from system to system (each pc is different). MS can direct code from their old console, to their new one, knowing the hardware will ALWAYS be the same, and also knowing the ins and outs of both consoles. And they still fail....

Pathetic

demingo said:
Fantastic, it is pathetic that they cant get these games running perfectly. To begin with, the 360 has roughly 13 times the processing power and 8 times the memory of the original xbox. Also, microsoft has all the tech documents on both systems. I've seen people write homebrew emulators which ran better than microsofts. And the people writing the homebrew stuff didnt have access to full tech specs like microsoft.

I'm not trying to flame the 360 or MS, I own a 360 myself, but frankly, its pathetic that they cant write a decent emulator for the console.

You are mistaken about the power difference of the XBox to the 360. It's really apples to oranges. XBox1 = out of order, XBox360 = in order (there's a big reason right there for some of the lag). XBox = x86, XBox360 = PPE (stripped power PC). XBox GPU = Nvidia GF3.5, X360 GPU = ATI R500. There are a lot of changes from one to the other, so there is no real power comparison, despite what MS would have you believe. In fact, unoptimized code on the X360 makes it run like an early P4 1.6ghz-class machine. And emulation would certainly fall under the category "unoptimized code".

Be impressed that they have anything running at all. Yeah, some of it may suck ass, but that doesn't mean it can't improve over time. It will. In the mean time, you probably shouldn't have sold/given away your XBox1, since you were probably told that emulation wouldn't be perfect (it never is!). :p

Exactly. Instead of talking out of your asshole and bashing M provide something back up your statements.

Going from the Xbox to the X360 isn't going from a PII to a P4. The complete architecture changed and thus, as I previously stated, providing emulation for a few games is fantastic.

Even more importantly, you purchased the system of your own volition knowing it had limited backwards compatibility. Their is NO law stating they have to support a single Xbox game.

demingo said:

why dont you try and find an Xbox 1 emulator for the pc that runs any game besides halo 1, and will run that game at 20 fps, oh thats right there isnt one, good job mocking MS for making something that actually works.

I understand the concept of emulation and your discussion wasn't really my question.

My question was...there are mixed reports of Fuzion Frenzy running fine (IGN did a test of all backwards compatibility titles and they ranked Fuzion Frenzy okay) and various reports on it running poorly from forum people. If the testing swings both ways maybe it's xbox 360 related?

I wanted to know if any of you other forum folk have the xbox360 and the fuzion frenzy and what your exp was.

My thinking is that IGN just didn't test the game very long at all because some mini games work much better than others. Though on my xbox I'd say 70% are slower than the original xbox (as in the games play much slower - something that you may not fully recognize if you weren't familiar with the original or didn't really test it thourougly) or worse yet so slow as to be unplayable - like prolly 33% of the 70%.

Games seem to vary a lot. Halo 2 runs REALLY well (as I'd guess they put a lot of time into it), but some games like Fusion Frenzy, or Ninja Gaiden Black in particular, run like DOGS.
I'd hope they improve over time, but I think the problem I have is that they implied that it was true backwards compatibility. The average joe doesn't understand that there's an architechtural difference. Joe average understands that the Xbox360 is supposedly 10X stronger than the original and he's wondering why his old games are running in slow motion.
He didn't have this problem with his PS1 games...so the Xbox360 must be weaker than they claim.
The whole thing makes MS look bad.

Domingo said:
Games seem to vary a lot. Halo 2 runs REALLY well (as I'd guess they put a lot of time into it), but some games like Fusion Frenzy, or Ninja Gaiden Black in particular, run like DOGS.
I'd hope they improve over time, but I think the problem I have is that they implied that it was true backwards compatibility. The average joe doesn't understand that there's an architechtural difference. Joe average understands that the Xbox360 is supposedly 10X stronger than the original and he's wondering why his old games are running in slow motion.
He didn't have this problem with his PS1 games...so the Xbox360 must be weaker than they claim.
The whole thing makes MS look bad.

The problem is Microsoft's marketing. They claim the thing is a bazillion times more powerful than the original... when in reality, it's 3-4x more powerful at best. Yes it makes them look bad, but at the same time it's a feat that they have it working at all. The biggest games will get ironed out with time and work, if they decide to continue to put more work into it. And I'm sure they will, especially to satisfy people like the above.

JBark said:
Do you have the latest BC update installed? It came out in late Dec, so I'm guessing you've already got it.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm

That's all automatic with Live...It asks to update the system when I log in every once in a while and I do. I've not manually downloaded anything and burnt it to cd, but I shouldn't need to(that process is supposedly the optional process for those without live.)

To those who are backing up MS on the 360 emulation of the original xbox.

1. Yes, it is MUCH more powerful, and while the cpu types are different, there is still a huge jump in power.

2. Microsoft has full access to the inner working of both consoles and still cant code an emulator which works properly? I think thats a little sad.

3. We shouldn't even be having this discussion, as microsoft shouldn't have had to use emulation for the BC. It should have been in the hardware. So what they would have to pay nvidia a royalty, suck it up. Sony did it perfect with PS2 (maybe 5% or so of ps1 games dont run on ps2)

All that aside, what scares me the most about this forum. Is how people accept mediocre quality and try to convince themselves it's fantastic. Microsoft has made many errors with the Xbox 360, the way it handles Xbox 1 games is just one of them. The noise of the system is horrid. The overheating issue experienced by many is also quite dissapointing. The rushed launch and unfinished games.

Developers didnt have final dev kits for the xbox 360 until October or so. That is horrible. Trying to push a console only to beat sony out the door, and screwing the developers by forcing them to only half-ass guess at what the console can do. It shows when you play games like PD Zero and the slowdown appears. Or cheap ports like most of the sports games on the console. It can also be seen in the limited game selection. Most devs simply didnt have the time on real dev kits to program for the system.

Don't get me wrong. I like my 360 and play it a good amount. I think MS did an awesome job with Live and its the best thing they have going. But its really frustrating to see people so easily accept sub-par elements and then defend the very same company which is charging you $400 for that. If we grow to accept this kind of situation, we're only hurting ourselves as MS has no need to fix problems if people no longer care about them.

Take a step back, and really think about all the problems MS should have fixed BEFORE launch. They rushed the console to be the first next gen system, and to meet a holiday launch. Now, 6 months from today, the future for the xbox360 looks much brighter. Many top titles are being released, hopefully MS will continue to improve xbox 1 support, and some dashboard updates should add the features which should have been in since day 1. Until then, lets just make sure not to give too much credit where its not due.

I dont have any of the heat problems or noise problems here.
Sure its loud but its a 12x DVD DL drive expect that but once you get gaming you cant hear a thing. You are right though, I applaud MS's efforts only because they have said they will support the emulator in the 360 to completion. ATM the emulator in the 360 is trash. Even HALO has some slow downs when I play it and the fact is demingo, while harsh, is right. Other than that I love my 360 and they didnt flop all over the place like his post would make you think.,

Tell us how you really feel :)

Seriously, though, I really agree with a lot of what you're saying.
I love a lot of things about the 360, but there are a lot of glaring flaws, too.
Above all else, the framerates as a whole just don't cut it. This is both for new and older games. A lot of the time it feels like you're playing a PC game with the details cranked...but your hardware is one generation older than it should be to do so. Framerates are very much up and down. Maybe I'm spoiled and I like games at 60fps all the time, but in most games it feels like nothing is consistant. Framerates fluctuate WAY too much. In the racing games we see framerates go from 20fps to 80, to 30, to 15. Somewhere you'd think there would be some way to make things more consistant.
Maybe they haven't figured out the hardware yet, but this has never been the case with any other system releases. Condemned and DOA seem like the only games that really start at 50-60fps and stay there.
I *love* the whole setup for Xbox Live, the retro arcade, and just the general set-up of the system. It's just too bad the devs seem to be lost when it comes to programming for it.

I'm not a shill and I plan on getting the PS3 and Revolution, too. I just think that right now, the 360 is good, but not great. Too many good ideas and too poor of execution.

Dem's right, though. Gamers seem very polarized and feel the need to defend every purchase decision to the point of putting on blinders. Some of the issues with the 360 are pretty serious, but people like to defend MS because that's who got their money...and Sony suxxxorzzz!!! or something to that effect. It's not that bad on here, but all over the gaming boards you'll see people dismissing major issues just because they've already chosen a side.

Back