Xbox 360 from 2005 that is suffering from RRoD. Can it be saved?

Impressive! A 6 year run out of that console.

Time to get a slim!

Most impressive that it's lasted as long as it has. Most of the launch systems were dying within a year or two. The best way to fix it is to use a reflow station and flux, but professional equipment is very expensive. A friend of mine has such equipment and we've usually been successful bringing consoles back from the dead.

There are other "methods" you can use but they are far from permanent.

Last edited:
the reflow won't last for long, just get a slim and call it a day
you can get the kinect bundle for $299 and call it a day once you add ur hdd to it

the reflow won't last for long, just get a slim and call it a day
you can get the kinect bundle for $299 and call it a day once you add ur hdd to it

Better yet, just buy a used Jasper in very good condition so that he can use his existing hard drive. They're commonly about $150 for those that look like new.

Or if he wants to go the slim route, just buy a HDD caddy off of eBay and put the existing hard drive in there, and purchase a matte 4GB console for $200.

Not to be rude, but you don't know if he even wants a Kinect....

you can take it a apart and reapply some better quality TIM .. you might wanna check the capacitors though on your mobo before going to far .. an origianl 360 that I gave my little bro ..worked fine then started getting the red rings.. I opened his up and it had 5 bulging caps on it ..

Better yet, just buy a used Jasper in very good condition so that he can use his existing hard drive. They're commonly about $150 for those that look like new.

Or if he wants to go the slim route, just buy a HDD caddy off of eBay and put the existing hard drive in there, and purchase a matte 4GB console for $200.

Not to be rude, but you don't know if he even wants a Kinect....

why does he need a hdd caddy? I just notched out a peice of foam for mine lol and it works just fine and came with the 360 :).

I was just saying that since he has hdd, the best value bundle would be the kinect because it is $50 cheaper that way

why does he need a hdd caddy? I just notched out a peice of foam for mine lol and it works just fine and came with the 360 :).

I was just saying that since he has hdd, the best value bundle would be the kinect because it is $50 cheaper that way

If that works for you, awesome. I was just listing one way to go about it. And while the bundle is a decent deal, not eveyone is going to want a Kinect. :)

you can take it a apart and reapply some better quality TIM .. you might wanna check the capacitors though on your mobo before going to far .. an origianl 360 that I gave my little bro ..worked fine then started getting the red rings.. I opened his up and it had 5 bulging caps on it ..

I've done this on both my Falcon and Jasper 360s. Both are significantly cooler running after the fact, so...

+1 for Arctic Silver, etc over the stock Shin-Etsu putty.

It can be saved but it requires arcane rituals that will endanger your immortal soul and the sacrificining of chickens and goats. proceed at your own risk

haha i know your pain, ive got a launch console as well that just started rroding 2 months ago. I keep it alive by recreating the towel trick with my entertainment door. Closing it heats it up so much it re-melts the connections and fixes itself.

For now its working but eventually its not gonna fix it and im gonna have to buy a slim :p So far it re rrod's every 2 weeks or so and closing the door fixes it again lol.

haha i know your pain, ive got a launch console as well that just started rroding 2 months ago. I keep it alive by recreating the towel trick with my entertainment door. Closing it heats it up so much it re-melts the connections and fixes itself.

For now its working but eventually its not gonna fix it and im gonna have to buy a slim :p So far it re rrod's every 2 weeks or so and closing the door fixes it again lol.
Step up to that awesome walmart deal that's going on. 360s 4GB, 2 controllers, 3 months live gold, and $50 walmart gift card. $200

Step up to that awesome walmart deal that's going on. 360s 4GB, 2 controllers, 3 months live gold, and $50 walmart gift card. $200

It's a shame I have ethical concerns in shopping at Walmart. That does look like a good deal.

My launch 360 is still going strong, never has RRoDed. I never realized that it was special because of that. Was the RRoD issue really that widespread? I never noticed.

I probably just jinxed it.

I was planning on trying the x clamp fix. http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

Is there anything else I should know before digging in?

Microsoft should be able to cover you still. My Xbox 360 was bought in 2006ish and it died mid 2010. I decided to see if any warranty applied, and while their website says the following:

The warranty period for three flashing red lights and the E74 error is three years from the original purchase date of the console. If your console is out of the three-year warranty period, you can still receive console repair service for a fee.

They should be repair it for free. They did for mine, I just filled in the information got an RMA ticket, and the cost was 0.00, despite what their website said.

Give it a shot and see. Otherwise all of the above is good info too! :)

--
Amit

I use a guide similar to this when I have an xbox that can't be fixed by M$(for free) but I also heat the top of the board as well. Make sure you insulate the parts around the cpu and gpu (the heatgun will damage them) I use thick plastic with aluminum foil over it. Make sure you let the board cool for at least 45 mins before you heat the bottom side. (This method is extremely hillabilly).

If that worked then check the dash if it has the blades dash you should look into jtagging it. Any dash older then 8xxxx should be jtaggable.

After that I would look into doing the 12 volt fan mod, xclamp and add more fans over the cpu and gpu.

this place is a goldmine of information.

Back