Xbox 360 Component Washed Out

daines1

Weaksauce
I have a Xbox 360 Elite and it is hooked up to my Westinghouse 37" 37w3 monitor via component cables.

I was playing Mass Effect last night and after finishing a long run, I turned my console off. When I started the console up again, I noticed the XBOX boot screen was REALLY faded and washed out. When Mass Effect loaded, it also seemed to effect the Microsoft splash screen at the beginning of the game.

I turned the system off and on again to see if it was a glitch. The same thing appeared. I opened the Xbox dashboard and noticed that it was also affected with the problem. I loaded up Halo 3 to make sure I was not just losing my sight and any map with white snow looked completely horrible.

I changed to the other Component ports on the monitor and the same thing happened. Anyone had this issue? I'm about to get a HDMI cable just to test it to make sure it isn't the cables or my monitor.

Just hoping someone's seen this problem before.

Daines1

I've only tried Component as of this post, but I will try HDMI soon.

I have black level set to default.

Daines1

Try other component video sources to check the monitor, obviously; DVD players/other consoles.

What you're describing...sounds like one of the ends, either monitor or console, is not terminated at 75 ohms but rather at 1k ohms...but only RF modulators/switches usually have that control.

I'll hook my original Xbox up component. (Think I still have to cable.)

The XBOX360 component cable has a switch on it regulating whether it is a Standard TV or HDTV. Wonder if that was fried somehow. Hopefully it is something simple.

Daines1

That could be it, I remember my Gamestop combo cables having that switch...it didn't affect the PS2 plug at all, so I assume it does some sort of select pin thing for the Xbox/360, or flips between 75/1000 termination.

The same thing happened to me on my Westinghouse 37w3. As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "He must have the 37w3."

In all honesty, I think the component inputs on our monitors died. I had my HD DVR box connected through component on my 37w3, and one day, I turned it on and everything was washed out. So I connected it through HDMI and forgot about it. Fast forward to when I picked up a PS3. Since I wanted to connect my PS3 through HDMI too, I figured before I shelled out $40 for a switch and cables, I would make sure that it was the component input that was FUBARed, and not the DVR box or the cables. I tried connecting my 360 through component (normally connected through VGA), and sure enough, it was washed out too :(

Long story short, I think the component inputs on our 37w3s are shot :(:( Bummer, I know, but at least I haven't really needed to use them

The same thing happened to me on my Westinghouse 37w3. As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "He must have the 37w3."

In all honesty, I think the component inputs on our monitors died. I had my HD DVR box connected through component on my 37w3, and one day, I turned it on and everything was washed out. So I connected it through HDMI and forgot about it. Fast forward to when I picked up a PS3. Since I wanted to connect my PS3 through HDMI too, I figured before I shelled out $40 for a switch and cables, I would make sure that it was the component input that was FUBARed, and not the DVR box or the cables. I tried connecting my 360 through component (normally connected through VGA), and sure enough, it was washed out too :(

Long story short, I think the component inputs on our 37w3s are shot :(:( Bummer, I know, but at least I haven't really needed to use them

Man that sucks!

I am still within my first year since purchase so I'm gonna call Westinghouse and see what they can do for me. I LOVE the monitor, but if that is the case, I'd hate to think it was a manufacturing flaw. Looks like it is. Thanks again for your input. I am really lucky to have Hardforum(ites) around to help me. Means a lot guys!

I'll let you know what the big W says.

Daines1

If it isn't under warranty and you feel confident, open up the display and look for (probably) blown diode/resistor/transistor near the component video inputs in question; good chance that a 5 cent SMD part has gone to hell, and you'll be forced to pay repair depot prices to get that fixed if you don't wnat to/can't solder in replacement.

Man that sucks!

I am still within my first year since purchase so I'm gonna call Westinghouse and see what they can do for me. I LOVE the monitor, but if that is the case, I'd hate to think it was a manufacturing flaw. Looks like it is. Thanks again for your input. I am really lucky to have Hardforum(ites) around to help me. Means a lot guys!

I'll let you know what the big W says.

Daines1

Please report back on what you find. Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news :(

Back