Xbox 360 as a Windows Media Extender

reductant

Limp Gawd
I have a few questions about using an Xbox 360 as a Windows Media Extender.

1: Can it stream 1080p content?

2: Can it stream a Blu-Ray disc that is playing on the Windows PC?

3: Can it stream all video streaming services off the PC if there is no native support on the 360?

4: Also, just curious, can you set up the PS3 to be a Media Extender as well?

ps3 and xbox end up doing the exact same thing. the server ends up doing way too much transcoding for my tastes. Considering power consumption and other things something like a WDTV is just better. Actual streaming of the files without transcoding is better than you may think.

if you have a ps3 why think about blu-ray stream? which I dont think can happen

I installed mymovies on my server running 2011 and also on my main PC. My PC would get the movies from the server and then stream/convert to my xbox 360 in 1080p with 5.1 What's great is that when you open media center on the 360 it has the movie covers and synopsis. You can also stream to either PS3 or 360 using ps3mediaserver.

ps3 and xbox end up doing the exact same thing. the server ends up doing way too much transcoding for my tastes. Considering power consumption and other things something like a WDTV is just better. Actual streaming of the files without transcoding is better than you may think.

if you have a ps3 why think about blu-ray stream? which I dont think can happen

If you are trying to watch live tv or recorded tv (using media center), the xbox is your only option at the moment.

If you are trying to watch live tv or recorded tv (using media center), the xbox is your only option at the moment.

Very true. But it does a fantastic job of it. Plus no more stupid cable boxes.

Is there anything similar to PMS for 360? I don't run WMP, just have all my media in shared folders, not sure how/if the 360 can run playback like that?

-N/M, googled it up, looks just as simple as on a PS3.

Is there anything similar to PMS for 360? I don't run WMP, just have all my media in shared folders, not sure how/if the 360 can run playback like that?

-N/M, googled it up, looks just as simple as on a PS3.

PMS works with the 360, although the kinect dashboard broke FWD and RWD last i checked.

Last edited:
would windows media center run faster over a cabled connection vs. wifi? i was messing around with it a few weeks ago and it was so laggy (using wifi) i didn't even think it was worth it.

would windows media center run faster over a cabled connection vs. wifi? i was messing around with it a few weeks ago and it was so laggy (using wifi) i didn't even think it was worth it.

I've been beaming TV over WiFi with no problems (except the wmc app locking up on my xbox :( ). But TV probably only 1080i and 720p. I would expect a cable to definitely resolve your problem though if it choking on 1080p.

Back