xbox 360 3 red lights AKA RROD (red ring of death)

flyinpolak

Limp Gawd
So i got an xbox from my neighbor since he just got the new one that was released...

he sold the hard drive so i need one of those but my big problem is the red ring of death that it throws on right when it starts...

and yep its the 3 red light one... i need a Real World solution to fix the system for good without calling microsoft .... console was built 2006 so im fairly certain its out of warranty.... or correct me if im wrong...

Please let me know... no im not going to hit it... no i dont feel like 'baking' it as some do to fix video cards that artifact.

i know this was caused by a failure of design by MS and those four thermal pads on the bottom under the mobo.... just wondering if anyone has a better way fo fixing that thermal grease electrical tape and eight pennies. **** got that from one youtube video ****

Last edited:
I need a Real World solution to fix the system for good without calling microsoft ....
Some people are lucky enough to get a working system after those methods you already listed. Others that performed them were still SOL.
So if you are looking for something 100%, good luck.

Some people are lucky enough to get a working system after those methods you already listed. Others that performed them were still SOL.
So if you are looking for something 100%, good luck.

so are you saying give MS a call or try the other ways of fixing the RROD first?

so are you saying give MS a call or try the other ways of fixing the RROD first?
There is no 100% solution outside of calling MS and see if it qualifies. If it doesn't then everything else is a gamble.
Doesn't hurt to try different methods to try an revive it, but if you want something guaranteed I'm afraid your out of luck.

There is no 100% solution outside of calling MS and see if it qualifies. If it doesn't then everything else is a gamble.
Doesn't hurt to try different methods to try an revive it, but if you want something guaranteed I'm afraid your out of luck.

ouuuch... well shit happens only got it for $50 anyway.... will try to give MS a call and if not do the dumb things people say fix it... found a good guide on what seems to be a legitimate way of fixing this system..

here is the link for anyone else that reads this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/step1/Re-installing-the-heatsinks/

You will need to heatgun the GPU. Heatgunning the GPU will reflow the solder for the GPU. Then you will need to replace the X clamps with bolts and washers.

Good write-ups for both can be found on google.

im sorry im not super technically inclined... do you have pictures of how to do this or a video that some one else has done?

I fixed my 360 I bought off ebay by removing the xclamps. Takes all of 30 minutes and a trip to Lowes or Home Depot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to heatgun the GPU. Heatgunning the GPU will reflow the solder for the GPU. Then you will need to replace the X clamps with bolts and washers.

Good write-ups for both can be found on google.

thanks!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1271373/360_three_rings_of_death_fix_real/

this one seemed pretty good to me, you'll have to find a guid on how to open up the xbox as they skip over that pretty fast.

i already have it opened and stripped to the mobo saw that vid but ill watch ti again

The power brick might just be a dud, I would try to switch that first.

ill try my friends but im almost certain it works fine.. light turns on and from the very start it has three red lights.. my friend said it overheated once previously and started doing this

id call ms and try really hard and see if they replace it

i did they denied it as its one year out of warranty and they want $100 for me to send in an a non warranty RMA

I fixed my 360 I bought off ebay by removing the xclamps. Takes all of 30 minutes and a trip to Lowes or Home Depot.

i am planning on doing this and seeing how it goes... still not too sure what the x clamps have to do with an overheat but none of the videos ive watch explain any of it.

Microsoft will fix it for ~50$ or something even if it is out of the warranty.

Microsoft will fix it for ~50$ or something even if it is out of the warranty.

$150, not $50, atleast in canada so I assume its the same for the US.

called them two days ago they said $100 via the internet site or $120 if i had him process it over the phone... though he did switch it to say im the original owner :D LOL

if it was $50 id say f*ck it and id send it in tomorrow... unless theres something i dont know about. I live in cali dont think that makes much difference though.... but my bud said the same thing $50 to have them fix it... lemme know how you found that out maybe they are just trying to screw me.

found these parts for others to help prevent future RROD and a very good fix kit (without tools if you already had them like me)

ram heatsinks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WGLSNW/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3DMEOGRJOXSM3

intercooler fan

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TSNCMO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AA9EOGH73W5ZF

xclamp substitution kit (bolts and washers needed to replace the x clamps)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00130AIQM/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3DMEOGRJOXSM3

if you do not have thermal paste i suggest buying that and possibly the thermal paste remover... i ahve access to industrial thermal paste for automated welding computer systems (reaching severe temps and probably better than arctic silver) so that isnt a need for me...

anyway hope that helps for anyone else reading this thread!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back