xbox 360 20GB or Elite?

Tac

Limp Gawd
My plan is to pickup a 360 this weekend problem is I haven't decided on which one to get. I'm not loaded or anything but I could afford the Elite if i'm going to need the extra 100GB. So I'm asking all you 360 owners.

1. which 360 do you own?

2. how many GB do you have left on your HD?

3. Is the second heatsink only on the Elite?

1. 1 Elite, 2 Premiums
2. 100 on the Elite (with all Arcade games downloaded), 10GB each on the others.
3. On Elites made after July 07. Furthermore, the new heatsink doesn't prevent the red ring of death. (In my experience, anyway.)

1. Elite, upgraded from a Premium

2. About 100GB left on the HDD

3. Not sure if mine has the heatsink or not as I purchased mine in May of 07; nonetheless, the thing runs fine for the time being.

I have an elite and my bro has the pro. Just get the Pro 20GB.

The 20GB is more then enough for over 90% of xbox360 users.

The only situations where an elite is probably a better buy:
A. You plan to buy TV shows off market place. TV shows are large files and take a while to download. So, it would suck to delete them and redownload them to watch them.
B. You plan to use HDMI AND 5.1 surround sound because only the elite comes with the audio dongle. Not too important considering the image quality difference between HDMI and component cables is small to nil. HDMI cables do allow for DVD upscaling, though. You can still use HDMI with the pro model, but it will only output 2.1 sound. You need an optical cable for 5.1 sound and that requires the audio dongle when using HDMI.

1. Elite
2. ~100GB
3. Yes

The 20GB is more then enough for 90%+ over xbox360 users.

The only situation where an elite is probably a better buy:
A. You plan to buy TV shows off market place. TV shows are large files and take a while to download. So, it would suck to delete them and redownload them to watch them.
B. You plan to use HDMI AND 5.1 surround sound because only the elite comes with the audio dongle. Not too important considering the image quality difference between HDMI and component cables is small to nil. HDMI cables do allow for DVD upscaling, though. You can still use HDMI with the pro model, but it will only output 2.1 sound. You need an optical cable for 5.1 sound and that requires the audio dongle when using HDMI.

1. Elite
2. ~100GB
3. Yes
This ^^ is pretty much what I was going to post.

1) Elite
2) Roughly 60 gig left
3) Didn't bother to look if mine had the heatsink

I've been into computers a long time and have learned that going bigger on the HDD is always a good thing. I'm glad I did.

1. Prem.
2. 3gigs left but i have lots of demos.
3. All xboxs after july have the extra heatsink, prems, elites both.

i have the Premium

i have about 4.5GB free (i have almost all Arcade games downloaded and 4 or 5 demos and i havent cleaned it out in a while, could be more free if i did)

just make sure you get a July 07 manufactured or newer system and it should have the new heatsink

and BTW, whoever said the new heatsink doesnt prevent the RRoD needs to show some proof, because4 on internet forums everywhere i havent yet seen one with it get the RRoD, i am sure there are a few out there, but nothing is 100%, it's pretty much wiped it out

I have a Premium, and I think I have about 9.9 gigs left. I don't have any demos on my machine, at the moment, but have four Live Arcade games, and six videos. Four of those videos are television shows from the Marketplace. I have maybe four or five songs on the hard drive, and then various downloads/new maps for a couple games.

1) Elite
2) About 85 GB left, I've been whoring Marketplace for a while now. Lots of TV shows, game demos, etc.
3) I never had a problem with my premium overheating. The elite does seem much quieter though.

Are you going to use HDMI and if so are you going to use optical or regular rca sound? The elite comes with the connector for optical and RCA sound when using hdmi, I don't think the premium does. I think MS sales the connector for like $40 so if you need it just get the Elite.

Core with hard drive ( no premiums available at the time)
10GB more or less (I delete old content often)

I have the Premium- it's perfect for playing any 360 game, I have over 8 gig left still (because I delete crap like demos when I no longer want them)

Plus if you buy the Premium you have more $$ for games...duh!:D

I have the Premium- it's perfect for playing any 360 game, I have over 8 gig left still (because I delete crap like demos when I no longer want them)

Plus if you buy the Premium you have more $$ for games...duh!:D

why buy when you can rent through gamefly.

The 20GB is more then enough for over 90% of xbox360 users.

The only situations where an elite is probably a better buy:

1. Elite
2. ~100GB
3. Yes

not true if your tv will output the 5.1 audio to your receiver. You could also get an HDMI supporting receiver for the audio and then run whatever for video to the tv from the receivers output. last choice would be the dongle that has the hdmi output for video to the tv + the optical port for your receiver.

I want to thank all of you for helping me come to a decision. I going to go with the Pro since I'm not really going to be downloading TV shows. Figured I can save some green or get a game to go with it

Are you going to use HDMI and if so are you going to use optical or regular rca sound? The elite comes with the connector for optical and RCA sound when using hdmi, I don't think the premium does. I think MS sales the connector for like $40 so if you need it just get the Elite.

Unfortunately my TV was built in the stone age so I'll be using the component cables until I upgrade.

Unfortunately my TV was built in the stone age so I'll be using the component cables until I upgrade.

No worries the 360 doesn't benefit much for HDMI. The component or VGA cables look great on the 360. The PS3 on the other hand is noticeably different between hdmi and component.

No worries the 360 doesn't benefit much for HDMI. The component or VGA cables look great on the 360. The PS3 on the other hand is noticeably different between hdmi and component.

The difference for me between component and HDMI/VGA on the 360 is huge. (Might be something to do with all the other cables I have running alongside the component, though.)

The difference for me between component and HDMI/VGA on the 360 is huge. (Might be something to do with all the other cables I have running alongside the component, though.)

Probably has more to do with your HDTV and scaling issues between digital signal and analog signals. Some HDTV do one better than the other. My older CRT HDTV looks better with component cables. In general though the difference is minimal. Colors tend to vary with component cable because there's calibration involved, but deciding which one looks better is a toss up.

Probably has more to do with your HDTV and scaling issues between digital signal and analog signals. Some HDTV do one better than the other. My older CRT HDTV looks better with component cables. In general though the difference is minimal. Colors tend to vary with component cable because there's calibration involved, but deciding which one looks better is a toss up.

My PS3 looks fine over component at the same resolutions, though.

Back