Xbox 3 RRoD only on cold boot, gone after quick reset.

Mojo3k70

[H]ard|Gawd
About 4 days so I purchased a used 360 from a local pawn'ish shop, but I've encountered a very odd issue with it: When turned on for the first time (in a day), it will red ring on me however, all I have to do is turn off the console and turn it back on and it boots fine (don't even have to unplug it, just a quick double tab on the button and bam, it boots).

Once booted, I can game for hours without even a hiccup. I can even turn it off and on again and the rings are nowhere in sight. Again, ONLY at cold boot (IE leaving the system off for 3+ hours min). I've tried powering up without the HDD and made sure all connections are snug, but it is hard to diagnose the problem when it only happens once a day.

Any ideas as to what could be cauing this? Problem with dirty power or a bad fan perhaps? If it doesn't get worse, I can live with this issue with no problem as it just requires me to press the button one more time, but I have a feeling the RRoD only comes back with a vengeance.

Edit: I should alo say then when the system is on (red rings or not) the PSU is always green.

Last edited:
Check all connections and verify which of the 3 rings are lit up. 3 red rings does not always indicate a dead console, the sequence of the lights do. If I recall there are up to 6 issues that are indicated by 3 red rings... 1 of them being the video cable not plugged in all the way.

I hope the best for you, but buying a used 360 from a pawn shop was asking for issues.

I did take a view at that site not too long ago, however my problem is fixed in much fewer steps than on the site. Again just a simple flick of the power button again and she boots ( all connections are as firmly in place as they can be).. Like clockwork though, always happens on the first boot up of the day so I can eliminate any kind of heat problems. After that, the console runs perfect.

For reference the sections that light up and flash are
/
\ /

This issue really doesn't stop me from enjoying the console, i'm just concerned it will eventually crap out and I get stuck with perma red ring. Guess my option right now is monitor it and hope it doesn't get worse.

I thank you both for your assistance.

My old roomates Halo 3 xbox red ringed out of the box and its still playable.. Red Rings constantly for the last 3 years. :D

could be that when the xbox is cold the solder has a loose connection somewhere and when you start it up, the solder heats up and expands in that one loose spot allowing you to start the 360 just fine the second time but not the first time.

if you have another power supply try using it and see if it still red rings.

what error code is it giving you when it does red ring on initial startup?

my release day arcade did this. It did this for two years until it finally croaked, in which I then baked it. This was around 3-4 months ago and now it powers on the first push every time...

Well, after giving the secondary error code trick a try, it seems i'm faced with a 0110 error. (e20)

"Ram error, this is caused by a cold or bridged solder joint on one of the Ram chips".

Makes perfect sense with the whole cold boot thing. Guess I either bust out a heat gun or pray it doesn't get worse :eek:

Back