Xbox 2? Any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topslop1

2[H]4U
Friend of mine is telling me about xbox. Says that there's going to be an ati graphics and amd cpu. Not sure I can trust him. Does anyone have any linkage that I can read up on xbox 2 ? Is it even in development?

if search weren't disabled I could help ya out....of course then you wouldn't be asking this either.

The ATI video card is a for sure. However I don't know anything beyond that and am too lazy to look for linkage.

Took me 2 seconds to google... 15 to post. Source: http://thenextbox.com/

- Xbox 2 possibly launching in 2005, before the PS3.

-Xbox 2 to be smaller than its predecessor.

-Early indications that Xbox 2 may be called 'Xbox Next'.

-Xbox 2 will be capable of editing video and images.

-The Xbox 2 processor will be built by IBM. This means that there is a chance that the Xbox 2 could contain an AMD, PowerPC or even a G5 processor.

-ATI will provide the graphics chip for Xbox 2. ATI have been chosen over Nvidia, who made the XGPU for Xbox 1. Interestingly, ATI will also make the graphics chip for the Gamecube 2.

-SiS have been confirmed as the makers of the Xbox 2 'Media Input/Output' technologies.

I'm wondering how they can go with an entirely different graphics archetecture and potentially an entirely different CPU archetecture and still make it backwards compatible like they claim to intend.

Last things I had read (don't remember where, may be the Qman) is that they were developing the processor themselves (well perhaps design is a better word) and that it would not include a hard drive because of cost.

IBM is handling the CPU.

It has been speculated by EGM's sources that the Xbox 2 might not include a hard-drive. It was also speculated that Nintendo was "close" to selling out and that Halo might be ported to other consoles.

"Speculation" is a nice summary for "We're pulling most of this out of our asses based on bits and pieces of things we've heard combined with a statement that will undoubtedly get hundreds of thousands interested in further developments"

Originally posted by cmosdos
-The Xbox 2 processor will be built by IBM. This means that there is a chance that the Xbox 2 could contain an AMD, PowerPC or even a G5 processor.

I thought the G5 and the powerPC where one in the same?

It is all rumors for now, but Developers are working with prefinal spec hardware to start making games for the next version of the Xbox(has been rumored to be called Xenon and Xbox Next-personally I like NexBox:D)

IBM is supplying CPU tech to all three(Xbox Next, PS3, and Nintendo's N5). They will not be making the same chip for all three.

Yes, they have dumped the nVidia in favor of ATI(rumored to be a yet unmentioned version of the Radeon Family). Also rumored to preform not only the GPU functionallity, but also DVD and "other" video tasks.

Live will return, so will its ethernet port. The harddrive will return(rumored to be in a bigger form so as to provide TIVO like functionality).

MS and SIS signed a contract for SIS to provide "media I/O technologies for future Xbox products and services". Whatever that means.

So here it is in a nutshell(thank OXM for this.)

Current Xbox........................................Possible Future Specs.
Pentium III 733....................................IBM Power PC G5 varient
nVidia GPU............................................Nextgen ATI Radeon varient
64mb Ram............................................256MB RAM
8gb HD.................................................60GB
Dashboard............................................New Dashboard w/ DVR
Built in Ethernet....................................same.
No Fan...................................................Fan
Big........................................................smaller than big.

Whatever the final specs, I suspect that it will be good, and I am getting one. I also suspect that if the final specs are even close to the rumored specs(especially the HD)the next XBOX with be pricey. But I don't mind since I remember buying the 3DO on launch day for 700.

Originally posted by cmosdos
Interestingly, ATI will also make the graphics chip for the Gamecube 2.

ati did the graphics card for the cube, so how is this interesting?

Originally posted by Acceptable_Risk
I'm wondering how they can go with an entirely different graphics archetecture and potentially an entirely different CPU archetecture and still make it backwards compatible like they claim to intend.

Emulation?

You'd figure if IBM is involved, they would use another Intel chip? :confused:

Originally posted by bigstusexy
Emulation?

I think that's what probably will happen, especially since microsoft bought Virtual PC not too long ago, which allows Mac users to runs PC OSes and Apps. This software would be very helpful for MS, if they planned on using an IBM Power chip.

Of course, I could just walk downstairs and take a look at XBox2 boards in the lab. Working at IBM has it's perks :)

Not that I'd be able to post anything anyway, since I'd prefer to keep my job :)

Originally posted by JSClark
You'd figure if IBM is involved, they would use another Intel chip? :confused:
:confused: That sentence makes no sense at all. But then again, neither do the new XBox specs.

As someone else mentioned, backward capability is going to be an issue. Not to mention the complication of the ease of XBox-to-PC game conversion (not that it was ever that easy). Can't say that I'm surprised by anything in any of these so-called leaked specs. It's no secret that MS has been trying to create the magical home convergence box for years. I'm not sure that if XBox 2 will get them any closer to that.

Why the heck make a Xbox 2 with no HD?

that's one of the MAIN things the xbox has going for it....

I hope that's just a rumor and isn't true.

Originally posted by Stiler
Why the heck make a Xbox 2 with no HD?

that's one of the MAIN things the xbox has going for it....

I hope that's just a rumor and isn't true.

If it doesn't have a hard drive, i'm sure it will have some other sort of built in storage memory device. But, most have said this box is meant to be able to record video and such like the PS3 will. So, a HD is most likely involved.

Like I said, EGM (Among other places) has a bad habit of spouting bullshit in correlation to "speculation"

I don't think it will surpass the $300 mark. Microsoft knows that there is heavy competition and that they might actually have a chance this time (In fact, they might start lower than that to surprise Sony...you never know).

Originally posted by Taylor Ratliff
The current has 2 fans. they are very quiet though, the DVD-Rom and HD are louder.
That depends on the revision. They all have a case fan in the back but the newer ones use a smaller-die GPU and have eliminated the heatsink fan.

Originally posted by Tiny

64mb Ram............................................256MB RAM
8gb HD.................................................60GB

why don't they just bump it up to 120gigs and a gig of ram and be done with it?

The emulation doesn't have to be software based it can be hardware, and as for video there might not have been too many non-standard API routines and even if they were I bet MS owns them and that they can have ATI build them into the new chip.

I just hope that there is an easy way to do things with it and no STUPID protection (yes there is a rant coming!) Not to mention system stability where they don't die.

<RANT>I understand protection your IP and the IP of you developers as well as your investment, HOWEVER WHY THE HELL do you have encryption and copy once protection on GAME SAVES!!! seriously, then there is no *supported way of transferring some game saves that way bigger than the memory cards that seem to be an after thought</RANT>

I have a whole Idea about a system that should be included called X-Direct (I'll type it out if anyone is interested in what I think)

Also I'd like to see the supported ability to do no frills on-line gaming without a monthly service but eh thats revenue

Why not just bump the price up $600 and call it a PC?

Consoles don't need that amount of resources. Console development is a bit more efficient than PC development...(That's an understatement, by the way).

Originally posted by HRslammR

Because they dont need to. I can guarentee you that when it launches, nothing will compete graphically (except the other consoles). PC will catch it in a few years, but it will take a few years.

I am just hoping for near-cutsceane quality like gameplay.

Originally posted by Cali3350
Because they dont need to. I can guarentee you that when it launches, nothing will compete graphically (except the other consoles). PC will catch it in a few years, but it will take a few years.

what the heck are you talking about? everybody and their momma knows that PC's have vastly superior resources to pump out the graphics. it's just that PC game developers aren't writing games that will greatly hammer the current hardware. PC developers have to dumb it down because not everybody's PC is 3ghz with a gig of ram and a 9800 pro. console game developers know what each console has and so can maximize it. that's the biggest difference.

not even mentioning that consoles have only one resolution that they're run at. and that's smaller than 640x480.

but a console does have only application to focus all of it's resources on at one time... if a PC could do that there would never again be a comparison.

what the heck are you talking about? everybody and their momma knows that PC's have vastly superior resources to pump out the graphics. it's just that PC game developers aren't writing games that will greatly hammer the current hardware. PC developers have to dumb it down because not everybody's PC is 3ghz with a gig of ram and a 9800 pro. console game developers know what each console has and so can maximize it. that's the biggest difference.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

not even mentioning that consoles have only one resolution that they're run at. and that's smaller than 640x480.

but a console does have only application to focus all of it's resources on at one time... if a PC could do that there would never again be a comparison.

So? Your pretty much saying the PC wont look as good for a while...exactly waht i said ;)

Originally posted by Cali3350
So? Your pretty much saying the PC wont look as good for a while...exactly waht i said ;)

no. that simply a PC can do today what a console will do in three years.

and please Neurofreeze, prove me wrong.

It's too bad that we can't have a pc that will only run 1 process for gaming like the consoles. You know it would be pretty cool if it was like, shutdown windows, and boot up into an entire new game that was its own operating system and all. Just a far out idea.

Originally posted by topslop1
It's too bad that we can't have a pc that will only run 1 process for gaming like the consoles. You know it would be pretty cool if it was like, shutdown windows, and boot up into an entire new game that was its own operating system and all. Just a far out idea.

Um.. Its called an xbox, you can get them for like $175.

Just Kidding.

no. that simply a PC can do today what a console will do in three years.
since nobody knows what games will look like in the future, lets look to the past. Can you honestly tell me that any PC game that came out in 98 looks better than Halo (2001)? Heck, boot up a 6 year old PC that was top of the line pack then, pop in Halo and show me the results, If it runs at 30fps constant in Full detail 640x480, I will gladly except your argument.

Originally posted by Naldo

since nobody knows what games will look like in the future, lets look to the past. Can you honestly tell me that any PC game that came out in 98 looks better than Halo (2001)? Heck, boot up a 6 year old PC that was top of the line pack then, pop in Halo and show me the results, If it runs at 30fps constant in Full detail 640x480, I will gladly except your argument.

mmmm maaaybe there. but i'm talking two years. not four or five.

With the level of AI involved, there weren't many PC games in 2001 that could rival Halo...

I cant believe some of you think the Next Gen consoles wont look better then the Pc games at the same time of their release. Hell, Xbox 2 is gonna have some sort of Power PC/G5 derivitive and R500 for Chistsakes. Its games are going to look great, in two years After its released PC's will catch and pass, just like this gen...and last gen...

Hopefully they will make most, if not all the games HD compatible. That was one of the selling points to me with the XBox but they never really followed through quite like I had hoped.

Originally posted by WickedAngel
Why not just bump the price up $600 and call it a PC?

Consoles don't need that amount of resources. Console development is a bit more efficient than PC development...(That's an understatement, by the way).

I can't even imagine the intensity of good quality control on a console game :eek:. Once it's released, there's no patches you can release for download to fix any bugs. I've always wondered what they do....

Once it's released, there's no patches you can release for download to fix any bugs. I've always wondered what they do....

Most developers program it right the first time...it's not as hard considering they're only developing for one platform (Meaning there really can't be any hardware conflicts unless you've truly fucked something up. Hello, Bethesda)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back