Xbone and PS4 are both HDMI only?

Poordevil

Gawd
Sucks be to me because my lovely XBR 910 HDCRT does not have a HDMI port. I have DVI. If I want to play on either of the new consoles I have to buy a new TV. You could say it's about time, but the 910 makes for a beautiful 1440x1080i display. My PC monitor is DVI. Why do you think both Microsoft and Sony restricted their consoles to HDMI only?

And then do audio through the optical out. Done! Solved!

DVI has some unused pins that can be used to carry audio (very rare). Have a old Biostar TA790 board that outputs audio and video from a DVI output to a HDMI in on a tiny old TV.

I use a HDMI / DVI cable and it works fine

Sound I just run from controller to line-in on my computer and it mixes to my headphones

I seem to have a choice here between buying a new TV that supports HDMI, or going the converter route. If there was a converter that got the most out of my XBR 910, that is improved the picture quality by allowing it to receive HDMI, then I would like to do that. I found this adapter called HD Fury that seems promising. However it is kind of expensive and requires an external power supply. http://www.hdfury.com/hdfury-output-vga-component-hdmi-and-dvi-d-from-the-ps4/

I seem to have a choice here between buying a new TV that supports HDMI, or going the converter route. If there was a converter that got the most out of my XBR 910, that is improved the picture quality by allowing it to receive HDMI, then I would like to do that. I found this adapter called HD Fury that seems promising. However it is kind of expensive and requires an external power supply. http://www.hdfury.com/hdfury-output-vga-component-hdmi-and-dvi-d-from-the-ps4/

I believe any HDMI to DVI that also passes audio is going to require external power. I haven't seen any that don't. Seen a few that just use a USB plug for power, but I'm guessing if your TV doesn't have HDMI, it doesn't have USB plugs either.

Hdmi to DVI works fine on Xbox one and use optical for audio it has a setting in setup for DVI

Probably work on ps4 too but I know its hdcp is kinda of bitchy compared to the Xbox in fact they have a on off for it to use external capture that is a limitation the Xbox does not have. Not sure if any of that matters.

DVI has some unused pins that can be used to carry audio (very rare). Have a old Biostar TA790 board that outputs audio and video from a DVI output to a HDMI in on a tiny old TV.

Its not that rare, cards in that past few years could do it. My GTX 275 worked with a DVI to HDMI adapter and a cable connected to my audio card.

However DVI will not carry audio over a DVI cable

Sucks be to me because my lovely XBR 910 HDCRT does not have a HDMI port. I have DVI. If I want to play on either of the new consoles I have to buy a new TV. You could say it's about time, but the 910 makes for a beautiful 1440x1080i display. My PC monitor is DVI. Why do you think both Microsoft and Sony restricted their consoles to HDMI only?

You'll need two things.

1. http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B005PWPUW6
2. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?se...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CLHAureX1MACFQiIaQodyXoATg

The first one is so you can get stereo audio from the Xbox to your TV. The XB1 has an optical audio output and you can use the above DAC to then hook it up to your TV. Of course, if you have a receiver then you can skip this item.

The second one is just your basic HDMI > DVI.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you use DVI you'll have to either turn off HDCP (you can on PS4, not sure about XBONE) or buy a HDMI -> DVI converter box that will strip out the HDCP. They are pretty common online.

If you use DVI you'll have to either turn off HDCP (you can on PS4, not sure about XBONE) or buy a HDMI -> DVI converter box that will strip out the HDCP. They are pretty common online.

Shouldn't that only effect Bluray movies?

Shouldn't that only effect Bluray movies?
HDCP only affects movie playback and video streaming. It has never affect playing games. Besides, DVI-D actually does support HDCP communication between an output device just like HDMI. Whether or not your HDMI -> DVI-D adapter maintains that communication is another question.

If you bought a video card in the last few years you may already have an DVI-D to Hdmi dongle laying around.

If you bought a video card in the last few years you may already have an DVI-D to Hdmi dongle laying around.

Actually I just upgraded to a GTX 780ti last month. They did include some kind of short connectors, but I don't think they have anything to do with DVI or HDMI. It seems to be a splitter of some kind that would pulg in to the card itself and maybe the mobo.

Any opinions on the HDFury adapter? It seems like a good product, but I dunno if a cheap converter would serve just as well or not.

HDCP only affects movie playback and video streaming. It has never affect playing games. Besides, DVI-D actually does support HDCP communication between an output device just like HDMI. Whether or not your HDMI -> DVI-D adapter maintains that communication is another question.

Although DVI-D supports HDCP, not all manufacturers implemented HDCP. This was especially true around 04-05.

I'm pretty sure that you would have to disable HDCP if you do not have a DVI connector/monitor capable of HDCP, even to play games.

When PS4 shipped there was a big stir over people not being able to record games due to HDCP being enabled. Sony finally added the ability to turn it off so people could record their gameplay.

Right I would need to get the audio seperate, DVI won't carry audio.

Actually it does carry audio. You only need to worry about the audio if you'd like another device, not the TV, to play it.

Actually it does carry audio. You only need to worry about the audio if you'd like another device, not the TV, to play it.

The DVI port can carry audio but a DVI cable will not carry audio

He would need an converter box. There are no single cables that carry HDMI to DVI+Audio.

I have a couple. One is 10m long and it costs about 5 euro. The fuck are you guys talking about?

I just used a cheap monoprice DVI to HDMI cable in the past going from my HTPC to my HDTV CRT.
the ATI card I used at the time had audio on one of the DVI ports and audio went fine through the DVI-HDMI cable.
I think the card I had was a 3650 with Dual DVI, one DVI was Yellow and that had the audio on it, the other White DVI port only had video.

See! I knew this wasn't going to be as simple as it appears. A simple problem of the new consoles being HDMI out and having a TV with DVI in and getting all kinds of different solutions. The main problem is that DVI does not carry audio. So a HDMI to DVI converter cable will net you video only. There is a converter cable out there that will carry both audio and video, the HDFury. However to complicate things further all HD Fury cables will not carry both audio and video but the HD fury 2, 3 , 4 and Gamer 2 will carry audio. I just don't know if the HD Fury is the only cable out there that will support both video and audio. I am pretty sure the HD Fury is a quality product but it is an expensive cable. There may be cheaper solutions out there that would work just as well. Like a HDMI to DVI cable for video and a seperate cable to handle audio. Here is a link to this HDMI to DVI question I asked the HD fury web site. http://dme.ghost2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26361

I have a couple. One is 10m long and it costs about 5 euro. The fuck are you guys talking about?

Please show me this mythological cable you speak of. DVI will NOT carry audio. Can it have a 3.5mm digital cable running alongside it? Yes, but the DVI connection will not.

Please show me this mythological cable you speak of. DVI will NOT carry audio. Can it have a 3.5mm digital cable running alongside it? Yes, but the DVI connection will not.

I linked to the HDFury site in my post. Check it out and let us know what you think.To be honest I am clueless.That is why I started this thread.

Just get a cheap DVI to HDMI cable, plug the DVI connector in your video card, and the HDMI in your tv. See what happens. Gosh, I can't believe there are people that clueless on [H]. It's not the hardware, it's the software. Any relatively recent card would do. This is nothing new.

If you insist, I will record a video for you. Works like a charm on both Linux and Windows.

I linked to the HDFury site in my post. Check it out and let us know what you think.To be honest I am clueless.That is why I started this thread.

I have an XBR and tbh the HDFury thing seems overpriced. Any $5 DVI to HDMI Female connection should work. Then just get an optical to RCA connector and use that for sound, that shouldn't cost more than $10.

Infact, I'll test it out myself when I get home, I believe I still have a DVI to HDMI somewhere. I mainly use my XBR for retro games.

Just get a cheap DVI to HDMI cable, plug the DVI connector in your video card, and the HDMI in your tv. See what happens. Gosh, I can't believe there are people that clueless on [H]. It's not the hardware, it's the software. Any relatively recent card would do. This is nothing new.

If you insist, I will record a video for you. Works like a charm on both Linux and Windows.

I do insist, it will not work with a console. Also he's using an XBR, it's not going to work regardless if newer graphics cards support it because his TV is too old to do so.

To settle the DVI Audio debate: By spec, DVI has the ability to carry audio, and at times, it has been used. But more often then not, the circuitry isn't there in the device you are connecting to in order to actually use it.

Odds are, your TV has a "PC Audio" (3.5mm) input that gets used alongside HDMI, in which case, you'd need to do a HDMI to DVI conversion for video, then Optical to 3.5mm (TRS) for audio.

The TV he's using is an older HD CRT that does not do 3.5mm. So he will need an RCA adapter.

I know for a fact the DVI to HDMI cables I had carried audio.
the problem is going to be the TV not using the pins on it's DVI port for audio.
but he will get video.

I know for a fact the DVI to HDMI cables I had carried audio.
the problem is going to be the TV not using the pins on it's DVI port for audio.
but he will get video.

Yes some PC graphics cards do DVI+Audio to HDMI but as you said the monitor/TV has to have the support for audio or DVI. 90% of them don't.

The matter of the fact remains that even if his TV did, the console won't support it. It's not backwards compatible.

Last edited:
Yes some PC graphics cards do DVI+Audio to HDMI but as you said the monitor/TV has to have the support for audio or DVI. 90% of them don't.

The matter of the fact remains that even if his TV did, the console won't support it. It's not backwards compatible.

why would the console not send audio out of the HDMI port?

The second example is me, the OP, only for PC substitute PS4. So I gotta figure out the "best" way to get the audio going.

You're going to need a box to convert audio coming from the HDMI or Optical port into standard analog so you can get it into the TV using RCA. Either through a home theater receiver or a $30 converter box.

Back