XBMC Audio problems - Maybe a codec issue?

AMD[H]unter

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, I got my HTPC set up, but I am having issues with getting sound for certain codecs. I did some searching around and some looking in my system, and see that under the Playback Devices in Windows 7 my ATI HD 4250 shows up. I look under "encoded formats" and see only Dolby Digital. I am using XBMC as my frontend for the box, and I am only able to get Dolby encoded video files to play. AAC and MP3 encoded files do not work. Do I have any course of action here?

I have tested certain files that don't work in XBMC with VLC and 7's Media Player and they do play, but not in 5.1. The Dolby encoded files I have in XBMC do play in 5.1

I'm confused here... Help a brother out? :p

Oh and I forgot to mention that I have an ATIHD5550 sitting here that I can use if I need to. Does anyone think it's an issue with the 4250? I'm just at a loss here.

XBMC apparently doesn't require any code packs. Also, it won't play any of my MP3's in my music library.

Well, I would try by installing some codecs then. I didn't have issues with XBMC or any other front end but I always install CCCP.

Ok, so I installed the HD5550 I had laying around and now I have sound with the MP3 and AAC encoded files. There's only one catch, though. It's in 2.0. It still will not play those files in 5.1; but Dolby files are still playing fine in 5.1. What's strange is that XBMC is using pass-through when playing Dolby stuff, and it is not using pass-through when playing MP3 and AAC.

Because those formats can't be bitstreamed. They're decoded by whatever application and sent as PCM to your TV/receiver.

Are these files actually encoded with multichannel information? If, for example, you are trying to play stereo MP3/AAC files, you will only get what it has - 2 channels. If you want more, you can use an upmixing matrix on your receiver to fake the other channels.

Are these files actually encoded with multichannel information? If, for example, you are trying to play stereo MP3/AAC files, you will only get what it has - 2 channels. If you want more, you can use an upmixing matrix on your receiver to fake the other channels.

Yes, the files I am trying to play are 5.1 encoded. I have some that are 2.1/2.0 also, but I know for a fact a few are 5.1.

Also, I'm curious...could I re-encode my files that are MP3/AAC into Dolby and be able to bitstream them? If so, I'd just do that and be done with this mess.

Ok, again, sorry for my dumb questions, but after searching I'm not clear on a good converter. Can you recommend me one? And also, I don't have an issue with video. That works fine. It's just the audio, so if there's a way to convert just the audio that would be nice.

Back