XBMC and Cable Card Tuner

The Lurker

Fully [H]
So apparently the guys over at the XBMC forums have figured out a way to get Cable Card tuners to work on XBMC. Its not perfect but it seems to be working.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119865

It seems they are leveraging the fact that FIOS does not secure their content with copy once, therefore as long as the DRM is authenticated at the hardware level the plugins and what not are able to display the content.

Has anyone tried it out?

that seems more like a band-aid fix, though I am glad to see work being conducted on the matter

Yea, its definitely not a transparent application like MCE but its better than nothing. It just sucks that MCE isnt moving with the times.

Anyone know how hard the development for MCE is versus XMBC?

XBMC uses python for addons so its really easy to pick up, but C/C++ for XBMC itself.

XBMC just got PVR function backed in but as a frontend, model would be using a backend that would handle the tv feeds then pass them to (multiple) xbmc client(s). It supports a wide range of backends, some being able to decode encrypted cable if you have the right hardware and a cable card.

XBMC uses python for addons so its really easy to pick up, but C/C++ for XBMC itself.

XBMC just got PVR function backed in but as a frontend, model would be using a backend that would handle the tv feeds then pass them to (multiple) xbmc client(s). It supports a wide range of backends, some being able to decode encrypted cable if you have the right hardware and a cable card.

it's also a pain in the ass to set up the XBMC backend and get everything working properly.

MythTV might be a batter backend for this. I once had it setup with my fiber provider in Sacramento, where all the content was delivered via IP (FTTH -> Ethernet around the house), and you could "tune in" to various ports via RTMP IIRC. It might function the same way by FIOS.

it's also a pain in the ass to set up the XBMC backend and get everything working properly.

XBMC was never meant for a backend, hence the amazingly customizable GUI. The Frontend is as easy as enabling PVR and inputting a few settings and connection info.

FIOS does not use IP to deliver the streams, the ONT box converts it to cable which is then sent to the boxes, the provided router/modem provided VOD and EPG to the cable boxes over MoCa or Ethernet. So to use any PVR system you would need a cable card and a tuner.

XBMC was never meant for a backend, hence the amazingly customizable GUI. The Frontend is as easy as enabling PVR and inputting a few settings and connection info.

FIOS does not use IP to deliver the streams, the ONT box converts it to cable which is then sent to the boxes, the provided router/modem provided VOD and EPG to the cable boxes over MoCa or Ethernet. So to use any PVR system you would need a cable card and a tuner.

I've tried following the instructions for NextPVR and MediaPortal and have not gotten it to work. I may be using the wrong backend if it's THAT easy. NextPVR won't pull any video, however I've found channels, and with mediaportals backend, XBMC loses connection constantly.

I have only experience with TvHeadend and MythTV. Also cant blame XBMC for the backends, problems maybe due to configuration errors on one end or the other, who knows, most of the backend plugins in XBMC have been tested heavily but there could still be problems, i mean PVR just got added to mainline branch with the last release.

Very interesting. I have a Ceton InfiniTV card lying around. Still need to get the bastard working on Cox Cable (this is the hard part).

I've tried following the instructions for NextPVR and MediaPortal and have not gotten it to work. I may be using the wrong backend if it's THAT easy. NextPVR won't pull any video, however I've found channels, and with mediaportals backend, XBMC loses connection constantly.

EXACT same issues I'm having. Flat out doesn't work

I have only experience with TvHeadend and MythTV. Also cant blame XBMC for the backends, problems maybe due to configuration errors on one end or the other, who knows, most of the backend plugins in XBMC have been tested heavily but there could still be problems, i mean PVR just got added to mainline branch with the last release.

I'm not going to use Linux to get XBMC to work properly. If they were "heavily tested" it would work. Everything points to people either giving up or going linux. It shouldn't be a feature if it doesn't really work or they need to update their wiki/web page to represent it accurately. If I went linux I would be stuck with XBMC only, and lose just about everything else I wanted in a media center...
*bummed* :(

If I went linux I would be stuck with XBMC only, and lose just about everything else I wanted in a media center...
*bummed* :(

You could always go the dual-boot route? At least to try to get it to work. I run my XBMC on a Linux laptop, but I know what you're saying. I do have a Windows box to play games, etc. Although now that there's a Steam client for Linux..

the differences between OS in XBMC are minimal and results should be the same across all platforms. I mean I have seen it run on a android tablet streaming TV and android is a very new platform and has a lot of issues with performance already. Like I said It just got main lined so there could still be issues. But there are a plenty of people that have it working so it may be an issue that is particular to your setup.

Back