XBMC 11.0 - Eden - FINAL

spankit

Limp Gawd
XBMC 11.0 - Eden
http://xbmc.org/

It has finally been released. I am in the process of upgrading all of my boxes to the new version. Here is to hoping that there will not be any library issues as I am running MySQL and a shared thumbnails directory.

Is there a way to manage the library in xbmc? I find that it misses files and folders that media browser picks up just fine.

Go into videos - folder view. select the movies it misses and click get info or something like that. It will let you chnage the search terms it uses to lookup metadata.

Is there a way to manage the library in xbmc? I find that it misses files and folders that media browser picks up just fine.

It also helps to have some sort of standard naming convention for your video and audio files. Mine never misses.

Hopefully they fixed the mkv fast forward make it crash bug that's been present in all the betas and rc's.

If you notice any missing then you should go find them on http://www.themoviedb.org/ then copy their actual name as it appears on that website and rename your file or your folder if you use folders.

Next time you update your library in XBMC it will find the movie then.

For library issues make sure that you have a standard naming scheme that the different databases understands.

TV shows for instance this works very well for me: TV Show Name - S**E** - Episode Name

Movies: Folder(called the same thing as the movie) - Movie Name(for the file in the folder)

looks slick. I've only really used Media Center mainly because of the live tv and dvr capabilities. Does XBMC have the ability to use tv tuners?

XBMC 11 is an absolute bitch to get working with cable card tuners though. I'm still using the WMC plugin to switch between the two. The ultimate HTPC would allow the use of a Ceton infinitv 4 in XBMC without having to worry about jumping through hurdles.

XBMC with couch potato, sickbeard, sabnzbd and Windows Media Center XBMC plugin work best still for cablecard users on Windows imo. I might try the VLC method but there is no possible way it could replace WMC.

Hows the Linux support for the E-350's? I need to build a small HTPC and was thinking of using one of them (also since all the Atom stuff is utterly underwhelming) and I'm debating between that and a more full WMC system using either the E-350, a FM1 based CPU or a cheap Celeron/Pentium Sandy Bridge system.

I want to use XBMC, but Netflix integration sucks balls compared to 7MC /w Mediabrowser.

Other then having to configure the playback side and some remote codes, I think it's pretty good.

Why not post on the forums there and ping the dev who wrote that addon (me) with feedback ideas so it can be made better for everyone. Keep in mind that the playback side must be done with DRM intact, which means using controls outside of xbmc.

Other then having to configure the playback side and some remote codes, I think it's pretty good.

Why not post on the forums there and ping the dev who wrote that addon (me) with feedback ideas so it can be made better for everyone. Keep in mind that the playback side must be done with DRM intact, which means using controls outside of xbmc.

They only advice I could give is make it more user friendly like in 7MC. I know that may not even be possible. Here is a little video showing off the Netflix plugin in for 7MC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWwgyw5UNf0

It's slick, functional, full featured, and user friendly. That video refers to the keyboard, but it works perfectly using a remote. I installed the new version of XMBC to give it a try. I'd tried it before, but was unhappy with it compared to 7MC /w Mediabrowser. My wife immediately complained that the Netflix plugin for XBMC being hard to use, and not displaying all the information in a friendly way as in 7MC. A lot of the data doesn't load. Categories doesn't load, as well as Recently Watched. And regardless of the view you choose, it's just not user friendly. It also loads an IE window to view the movies, and it pretty much renders the remote control useless. Unless there are some tricks or something to get it to work, it appears to be broken in it's current state.

I'm a major HTPC fanboy, and I've tried them all, and I have yet to find a setup better than a customized version of 7MC using Mediabrowser. By "customized", I'm referring to editing the startup screen to remove all the junk you don't want. My HTPC boots up into 7MC, and show's only 3 options on the screen.

Mediabrowser
Netflix
Settings

So it's super simple and easy to use.

They only advice I could give is make it more user friendly like in 7MC. I know that may not even be possible. Here is a little video showing off the Netflix plugin in for 7MC.

It's slick, functional, full featured, and user friendly. That video refers to the keyboard, but it works perfectly using a remote. I installed the new version of XMBC to give it a try. I'd tried it before, but was unhappy with it compared to 7MC /w Mediabrowser. My wife immediately complained that the Netflix plugin for XBMC being hard to use, and not displaying all the information in a friendly way as in 7MC. A lot of the data doesn't load. Categories doesn't load, as well as Recently Watched. And regardless of the view you choose, it's just not user friendly. It also loads an IE window to view the movies, and it pretty much renders the remote control useless. Unless there are some tricks or something to get it to work, it appears to be broken in it's current state.

I'm a major HTPC fanboy, and I've tried them all, and I have yet to find a setup better than a customized version of 7MC using Mediabrowser. By "customized", I'm referring to editing the startup screen to remove all the junk you don't want. My HTPC boots up into 7MC, and show's only 3 options on the screen.

Mediabrowser
Netflix
Settings

There is absolutely no competition between XBMC and Windows Media Center.

I used Media Center for many years (Since XP MCE) until a switch to XBMC, I would never look back.

The Netflix plugin for XBMC works decently enough that I don't see how that would stop you from from using XMBC considering everything else is better. Then again, Netflix itself is garbage anyways I dont see why anyone would use that either.

There is absolutely no competition between XBMC and Windows Media Center.

Then you obviously never used Mediabrowser. Might want to check it out. I've used both, and my current Medabrowser setup is more functional and WAY better looking than XBMC.

Then again, Netflix itself is garbage anyways I dont see why anyone would use that either.

Self absorbed, much?

Cool but XMBC still can't replace my custom MC7/Media Browser setup.

I'm torn. I LOVE some aspects of XBMC, but LOVE the look/feel of MediaBrowser on MC7.

How it has boiled down is that I use MC7 for Live TV (All 5 network stations I get). I use MediaBrowser for DVD playback. I use XBMC for the Video Add-Ons, and use one called "Free Cable" to watch streams of programs from many of the cable channels out there.

If I could get XBMC to look/function (Library-wise) like MediaBrowser, I'd switch to it for everything except Live TV. I also love how XBMC will take the 4:3 content that some of my DVD's are, and auto-stretch them to 16:9......something I have yet to figure out how to do on MC7 (if it can even be done).

Is it backward compatible. I don't want to rescan (and fix) my library again.

Also I have custom changes like using MPC-HC for video playback.

Is it backward compatible. I don't want to rescan (and fix) my library again.

Also I have custom changes like using MPC-HC for video playback.

Most of the plugins have been updated to the new version. Although I'm a fan of saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Could you elaborate on that that?

Certainly.

I have all of my movies in two libraries: 1) Movies\<Movie Name> 2) Kids\<Movie Name>

In Media Browser, I have the two libraries from the main screen. When I go to Kids, I see all of the Kids movies...when I go to Movies, I see everything else.

Maybe it is possible to set XBMC up like this, but I haven't been able to figure out how. In XBMC, if I want to use Library Mode (I like the layout better than Files, as it is more user/wife friendly), I have to set the main folder (Movies or Kids) as content: Movies. This then forces XBMC to scrape all of my movies, which is completely unneeded and unwanted, as I have both XBMC movie *.NFO and also Media Browser Movie.XML/MyMovie.XML.

Once I have XBMC set in Library Mode, I have no way to separate out the Kids Shows and Movies (again, that I've found)...everything is lumped into one main category. I've read how Smart Playlists can fix this, but I run into a problem here also. For the Smart Playlist, I set it as Path Contains <K:\Kids> and the other Smart Playlist as Path Contains <M:\Movies>. Neither populates. Either Smart Playlist always shows as containing no objects.

Another solution I have read about is to set each Library to its own profile. This isn't really ideal for me, as I need it to be Wife friendly, and she's not going to want to switch profiles in XBMC.

If I can make XBMC show that when I click on Video>Movies, I see "Kids" and "Movies", and then have whatever view I want within (we like CoverFlow style). If you can help me set that up, I'd be grateful.

The main advantage of XBMC is the Library more. Sure all scraped movies will be in there. But you hit the down arrow or backspace (which ever set up you have) and then search by genre (children's), actor, year, director, and so on.

Certainly.

I have all of my movies in two libraries: 1) Movies\<Movie Name> 2) Kids\<Movie Name>

In Media Browser, I have the two libraries from the main screen. When I go to Kids, I see all of the Kids movies...when I go to Movies, I see everything else.

Maybe it is possible to set XBMC up like this, but I haven't been able to figure out how. In XBMC, if I want to use Library Mode (I like the layout better than Files, as it is more user/wife friendly), I have to set the main folder (Movies or Kids) as content: Movies. This then forces XBMC to scrape all of my movies, which is completely unneeded and unwanted, as I have both XBMC movie *.NFO and also Media Browser Movie.XML/MyMovie.XML.

Once I have XBMC set in Library Mode, I have no way to separate out the Kids Shows and Movies (again, that I've found)...everything is lumped into one main category. I've read how Smart Playlists can fix this, but I run into a problem here also. For the Smart Playlist, I set it as Path Contains <K:\Kids> and the other Smart Playlist as Path Contains <M:\Movies>. Neither populates. Either Smart Playlist always shows as containing no objects.

Another solution I have read about is to set each Library to its own profile. This isn't really ideal for me, as I need it to be Wife friendly, and she's not going to want to switch profiles in XBMC.

If I can make XBMC show that when I click on Video>Movies, I see "Kids" and "Movies", and then have whatever view I want within (we like CoverFlow style). If you can help me set that up, I'd be grateful.

kids.jpg

That's pretty damn simple actually. With XBMC you can set a favorite to just about any hotspot or menu. Most of the themes you can download (AEON MQ2 is what I use) also let you completely customize the main screen. So you would go to video files enable library mode go to the Genre "Kids" or whatever and add that as a favorite. Then create a hotspot on the main screen and label it "Kids" you connect that hotspot to the favorite you created earlier and boom. You have your kids library and you have your Movies library even though they are in the same directory. Plus you can lock a view on the new hot spot you created... want coverflow on the Kids hotspot but not Movies?.... No problem XBMC will save each view.

Last edited:
One of the things I enjoy with XBMC over Media Browser is the cheaper and less robust hardware requirements, more skinning options, more addons, more customization if you delve into the xml, and a centralized library. Being able to utilize an SQL library and stop a show on one machine and resume on another is quite handy.

Media browser certainly is nice, especially if combined with something like MediaCenterMaster and it has a smaller learning curve, but ultimately I find XBMC to simply be more powerful and flexible for my needs.

How does the final release compare to MediaPortal? I'm running MediaPortal with the StreamedMP plugin, and realize I can setup XBMC to look the exact same (considering StreamedMP is a XBMC ported skin), but is it worth the hassle?

kids.jpg

That's pretty damn simple actually. With XBMC you can set a favorite to just about any hotspot or menu. Most of the themes you can download (AEON MQ2 is what I use) also let you completely customize the main screen. So you would go to video files enable library mode go to the Genre "Kids" or whatever and add that as a favorite. Then create a hotspot on the main screen and label it "Kids" you connect that hotspot to the favorite you created earlier and boom. You have your kids library and you have your Movies library even though they are in the same directory. Plus you can lock a view on the new hot spot you created... want coverflow on the Kids hotspot but not Movies?.... No problem XBMC will save each view.

I might be PMing you in a couple days as I try this out. Maybe my problem is simply that I am not using the right skin (I know some skins allow you to do more than others...currently using Confluence...aka Default).

Is there any way to enable library mode, but not have XBMC scrape? As I said, I have no interest in letting it do it (way too many incorrect entries, even though they are named correctly.....maybe it is because I don't use the year in my naming convention?). I've read that as long as XBMC sees the local file information (movie.nfo) it won't scrape from the internet. I didn't have the movie.nfo, but instead had set up XBMC to look for mymovies.xml (since I had that for every one of my movies from using MediaBrowser). It didn't always read it. I ultimately decided to use MediaCenterMaster, and have it scan all of my movies and add in the XBMC metadata, so I'll have duplicates (movie.nfo and mymovies.xml), but that doesn't really bother me. I think I would rather use XBMC as long as I can get it set up right....you can do more things with it (minus the live TV).

Does Aeon MQ2/3 allow for multiple background/fanart per movie? Or only one?

Last edited:
I might be PMing you in a couple days as I try this out. Maybe my problem is simply that I am not using the right skin (I know some skins allow you to do more than others...currently using Confluence...aka Default).

Is there any way to enable library mode, but not have XBMC scrape? As I said, I have no interest in letting it do it (way too many incorrect entries, even though they are named correctly.....maybe it is because I don't use the year in my naming convention?). I've read that as long as XBMC sees the local file information (movie.nfo) it won't scrape from the internet. I didn't have the movie.nfo, but instead had set up XBMC to look for mymovies.xml (since I had that for every one of my movies from using MediaBrowser). It didn't always read it. I ultimately decided to use MediaCenterMaster, and have it scan all of my movies and add in the XBMC metadata, so I'll have duplicates (movie.nfo and mymovies.xml), but that doesn't really bother me. I think I would rather use XBMC as long as I can get it set up right....you can do more things with it (minus the live TV).

Does Aeon MQ2/3 allow for multiple background/fanart per movie? Or only one?

K np. Although the Library Mode is just that a library of what you have scanned. You can isolate it as I did before. But anything it doesn't get you'll have to do manually which is a PITA. I don't know why it's getting your collection wrong. I have maybe had to adjust 9 movies out of over a hundred, which to me is pretty good. Anyway, hit me up if need be.

Mediabrowser
Netflix
Settings

I wouldn't call Netflix in WM7 full featured. There's still no subtitle support in WM7's Netflix. I always have to exit WM7 and switch to mouse and keyboard to run Netflix from an internet browser. A pain in the ass especially when I wish for a completely keyboard/mouse-less media center.

I think y'all are comparing apple to oranges. Personally i use both but if xbmc ever got live tv with cablecards working i would never use WMC again. media portal was great until I wanted to download tv shows movies etc.

personally XBMC with AQ3 is way better.

In my experience, there was not a ton of difference between Mediabrowser and XBMC for movies/tv shows.

For live TV, WM7 wins because of cablecard support.

For Netflix, WM7 wins because the XBMC add-on is pretty mediocre.

However, for MUSIC... XBMC absolutely blows WM7 out of the water. Not sure why people don't seem to talk about this part more. I don't use a cablecard, rarely use Netflix, but listen to a lot of music, therefore XBMC has been the better frontend for me.

Also, as far as I have seen, remote support on phones/tablets is far superior on XBMC (both Android and iOS), although I admit I have not looked at the WM7 offerings in awhile.

OK. I just setup a bedroom XMBC eden box, XP running the windows client.

So far I like it!!! I love that it plays back my ripped Blu-rays!!!
My only issue so far is I have to right click my movie and select Play. when I click the folder it opens it, and I see either the Video_TS or BDMV folders.
example:
//Movies/Spaceballs/Video_TS

Maybe i'm not using the scrapper correctly? I'm trying to use the My Movies scrapper, since thats what I used for the metadata.
what am I missing?

PS..... XMBC eden is very very close to replacing WM7+media browser for me. A few more hours of experiance with it, and I may fully switch over. If you havent tried it, you should. Just download the windows client and give it a whirl. If you dont like it you can always un-install. But if I get it working well then I have a use for all these XP licenses I have lying around!!!!!!! (not to mention XMBCbuntu to play with)

OK. I just setup a bedroom XMBC eden box, XP running the windows client.

So far I like it!!! I love that it plays back my ripped Blu-rays!!!
My only issue so far is I have to right click my movie and select Play. when I click the folder it opens it, and I see either the Video_TS or BDMV folders.
example:
//Movies/Spaceballs/Video_TS

Maybe i'm not using the scrapper correctly? I'm trying to use the My Movies scrapper, since thats what I used for the metadata.
what am I missing?

PS..... XMBC eden is very very close to replacing WM7+media browser for me. A few more hours of experiance with it, and I may fully switch over. If you havent tried it, you should. Just download the windows client and give it a whirl. If you dont like it you can always un-install. But if I get it working well then I have a use for all these XP licenses I have lying around!!!!!!! (not to mention XMBCbuntu to play with)

You must be under Video Files. After XBMC scans the files the movies will appear under Movies.

Back