XBLA - Goldeneye 007 (the N64 version) rumor

Defective

[H]ard|Gawd
Xbox Evolved (found the story on Kotaku), is saying they have reliable sources that the original Goldeneye is in the works to come to XBL Arcade (along with some other old Rare games). The companies involved to make the deal happen are Microsoft, MGM, and Activision (who currently holds the license to make Bond games).

If true, I can't wait.

That's pretty awesome. I was never any good at the original, but it was a blast to play multiplayer on. If they were to clean up the graphics (which they usually do with these), it's probably still worth goofing around on. Goldeneye was pretty much the first console shooter that played well enough to keep up with the PC ones.

The greatest part will be the multiplayer. 4 player with friends was just awesome with the N64. In fact, that is the only reason I own an N64. The day I bought it I also picked up 3 other controllers and Goldeneye.

hopes this pans out. Then i can finally see why everyone is so gag ga over this game after all these years.

hopes this pans out. Then i can finally see why everyone is so gag ga over this game after all these years.

Hehe, I think it's nostalgic value might be lost on you if you didn't play it before, but the most fun part of the game was the 4 player games with friends. The game options were great and having 4 players with proximity mines was absolutely hillarious. I'm hopping my friends and I can recreate the same experience over XBL and voice chat.

The single player version was very good for its time. Great level design, weapons, story, and difficulty options. I think if you can get past the dated graphics, it will still be alot of fun.

NICE!

Not that I have an XBOX but Goldeneye for N64 ruled back in the day. In fact that game has been sitting in my N64 for 5-7 years. If (when) I turn it back on it will be the first game I play

Hehe, I think it's nostalgic value might be lost on you if you didn't play it before, but the most fun part of the game was the 4 player games with friends. The game options were great and having 4 players with proximity mines was absolutely hillarious. I'm hopping my friends and I can recreate the same experience over XBL and voice chat.

The single player version was very good for its time. Great level design, weapons, story, and difficulty options. I think if you can get past the dated graphics, it will still be alot of fun.

Ya I can definately get past old graphics. I finished system shock 1 not too long ago and started system shock 2 and well....system shock 1 is uuuuuugly but a great game!

Not a graphics whores :D but definately can appreciate good graphics

actually this seems like something that would be perfect for the Wii's virtual arcade. . .

Unless it's already there. I haven't actually checked in a while.

Ya I can definately get past old graphics. I finished system shock 1 not too long ago and started system shock 2 and well....system shock 1 is uuuuuugly but a great game!

Not a graphics whores :D but definately can appreciate good graphics

SS1 and 2 are 2 of my favorite games EVER. I want SS3!!! anyways to the thread.. I loved goldeneye multiplayer!! Spends hours and hours everyday playing 4 player after school back in HS.

Goldeneye was the first "multiplayer" game I really got into. I still know those maps like the back of my hand from playing it so much at the neighbors house!

actually this seems like something that would be perfect for the Wii's virtual arcade. . .

Unless it's already there. I haven't actually checked in a while.

I see it better suited to XBLA, as Goldeneye was known for it's MP, and it would most definitely have MP over Xbox Live.

I could see Goldeneye being a big seller for 2008 if it hit the XBLA, no doubt. I doubt they will clean up the graphics, they didn't for Doom or Marathon, but that's no big deal I suppose, as long as they get the framerate locked in at 30 or 60 fps.

The article also states MS / Rare have plans to bring Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie to the XBLA as well, which makes sense.

It's because they didn't have pc's for half life/quake(2).

I did and I still though the experience was great. Half-Life came out the year after Goldeneye and Quake didn't have the same gameplay. It stands very well on it's own. It would have done well as a PC game also.

Stacks + rocketlaunchers + 4 players = pure entertainment. I really was hoping for this on the Wii, but if it gets released on XBLA I think the chances of that happening are quite slim :(

Stacks + rocketlaunchers + 4 players = pure entertainment. I really was hoping for this on the Wii, but if it gets released on XBLA I think the chances of that happening are quite slim :(

I think many people would want to see it on the Wii, but I think it is best off on the 360. The multiplayer aspect will be better realized on XBL. The 360 controller is also more FPS friendly than the Wii's classic controller.

I think many people would want to see it on the Wii, but I think it is best off on the 360. The multiplayer aspect will be better realized on XBL. The 360 controller is also more FPS friendly than the Wii's classic controller.

Actually I figured they'd retool it for the wii-mote. Maybe they still will, who knows? If you haven't played Metroid Prime 3 or MoH, you might be surprised at just how capable that control scheme is for shooters. Actually, it's quite a bit better than analog sticks, imo, but I digress.

The Wii is more than capable to do online play, it just hasn't been used all that well yet. They could create an online community for Goldeneye and maybe even retool (as the poster above mentioned) to use the Wiimote-- that would kick ass. Chances of it happening? Probably never, but we can dream.

All of you who are saying that people were goo goo ga ga over Goldeneye just because they didnt have a PC are idiots. Are you that gay for PCs that you have to dog on one of the most revolutionary games of our time? Goldeneye set the standards for how a FPS MP game was supposed to be. There is no doubt about that, it is still one of the best games ever made, and that will never change. I would bet that if they would of put Goldeneye on XBL, it wuld be the number one played game on live until the newness wore off. I challenge you to go back and play that game with three friends, and then tell me it wasnt fun. The game is still a blast, 12 years later.

I think alot of today's players will be disappointed with Goldeneye compared with today's game. It was killer back in the day though.

All of you who are saying that people were goo goo ga ga over Goldeneye just because they didnt have a PC are idiots. Are you that gay for PCs that you have to dog on one of the most revolutionary games of our time? Goldeneye set the standards for how a FPS MP game was supposed to be. There is no doubt about that, it is still one of the best games ever made, and that will never change. I would bet that if they would of put Goldeneye on XBL, it wuld be the number one played game on live until the newness wore off. I challenge you to go back and play that game with three friends, and then tell me it wasnt fun. The game is still a blast, 12 years later.

It set the standards for how an FPS MP game is supposed to be on a CONSOLE.. Not a PC. That title belongs to games like Quake and Counter Strike. As far as console shooters are concerned, there is no other beginning. It is the Alpha and Omega. There were a few ports of other FPS games before it (Doom on the Sega 32x and SNES, etc.) but nothing major. We all have Goldeneye to thank for games like Halo. Goldeneye revolutionized Console FPS gameplay, especially in the MP department.

This would carry a lot of nostalgic value for people. I myself would definitely buy it and play it with friends, especially if they implemented an online component to it. I myself was kind of a hybrid player, and I played more Quake and UT then Goldeneye. I did take a break though and play Goldeneye and other N64 games for a while in high school, and it is definitely nothing to laugh about. Seriously fun game.

Also, anybody play Snowboard Kids for N64 too? We had some major parties with that game too... Ahh the memories.

I think alot of today's players will be disappointed with Goldeneye compared with today's game. It was killer back in the day though.

I don't think so, really. The graphics are the only aspect that are dated. The gameplay and level design would still stand up.

It's sad that it has been cancelled. I'm going to write Rare, Microsoft, and Nintendo to complain. I hope that people complain enough to the involved players so they go back to talking about it.

It set the standards for how an FPS MP game is supposed to be on a CONSOLE.. Not a PC. That title belongs to games like Quake and Counter Strike. As far as console shooters are concerned, there is no other beginning. It is the Alpha and Omega. There were a few ports of other FPS games before it (Doom on the Sega 32x and SNES, etc.) but nothing major. We all have Goldeneye to thank for games like Halo. Goldeneye revolutionized Console FPS gameplay, especially in the MP department.

This would carry a lot of nostalgic value for people. I myself would definitely buy it and play it with friends, especially if they implemented an online component to it. I myself was kind of a hybrid player, and I played more Quake and UT then Goldeneye. I did take a break though and play Goldeneye and other N64 games for a while in high school, and it is definitely nothing to laugh about. Seriously fun game.

Also, anybody play Snowboard Kids for N64 too? We had some major parties with that game too... Ahh the memories.

Yeah, it was a console game and yes you are right, but Goldeneye did more than just influence console games. It was revolutionary in all gaming. I bet you would say that Counterstrike or Quake helped revolutionize console FPS wouldnt ya?

I am a fan of video games, not of just PC games or just console games, why cant everyone?

If someone picked it up for the first time then maybe. For those who have played it no most people would be happy to be able to play it over live. Hell people play doom over live now.

Same reason nintendo is selling a shit load of wii virtual console games. People want to replay the old games or in some cases play the games that led to the game they are playing for the first time.

Back