X9SCL+-F BIOS update troubles

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
I am attempting to update the BIOS of mobo X9SCL+-F from rev 1.1a to the newest 2.0b

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCL_-F.cfm

I just went from an i3 2100-T to a new Xeon E3-1245 v2. The new CPU is on the supported hardware list however with a simple swap the machine constantly reboots. I assume it means I need to update the BIOS in order for the new CPU to work properly.

However I have having difficulties getting the BIOS update to work. The most success I've had was buring the BIOS file to a CD, boot to FreeDOS (from CD), swap out CDs and run the BIOS update that way. However I am getting errors preventing the update from succeeding.

These SuperMicro boards are difficult to update. Any suggestions?

You need your old CPU back first ... The BIOS need to be updated before the Xeon v2 will work.
After the old CPU made the upgrade you can put the new in.
I have a X9SCM-F with BIOS 2.0a and a Xeon v2 which works great; lucky me the new BIOS was installed when I bought it.

The foot note from the page you linked:
* Per Intel's spec, for platforms using C202/C204 PCH:
1) Intel i5/i7 CPUs are not supported
2) Intel E3-12x5 series processors which have integrated graphics support are not recommended.
** Supermicro X9SCL-F motherboard is using a dedicated graphic from Matrox G200eW.
*** BIOS rev. 2.0 or above is needed to support new E3-1200 v2 CPUs, which supports PCI-E 3.0 & DDR3 1600.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have been using the old CPU to flash.

I also saw that footnote (albeit too late). What does not recommended mean if the series is supported?

Double/redundant graphics. The board contain a Matrox GPU; the Xeon 12x5 a GPU within the CPU. Not sure if that can cause conflicts. You would need to choose one. Others here might have experience with that combination

Double/redundant graphics. The board contain a Matrox GPU; the Xeon 12x5 a GPU within the CPU. Not sure if that can cause conflicts. You would need to choose one. Others here might have experience with that combination

Oh ok, that just seems like I could disable one? I'll muck around with it.. thanks

Were you able to make your Xeon 12x5 & X9SCM build work J-Will?

I have a Xeon E3-1265L V2 and plan to purchase a Supermicro X9SCM-iiF if someone can confirm that this combo works (nervous about the Supermicro warning).

It works. I ended up having Supermicro work on it. The flash was not working for me, so I sent it in to have them perform the BIOS upgrade. It cost me shipping one way.

They're BIOS upgrade process is not very good, but their customer server is great IMO

Awesome, thanks J-Will.

My new board should have current F/W so I shouldn't have to mess with it.

F/W (BMC) and Bios are two different things. You may have to update the BIOS (and F/W).

Back