X99 Socket 2011v3 MBO Asus

AJD1979

n00b
Hi.
Thank you in advance for your support.

I am currently in the process of building a new machine. After many years of work and all, I'm trying to build myself a kick*** system. I'm not a gamer, but want a fast machine. I am a programmer in Augmented Reality so I need power to compile programs quickly.

I figured that I would go with the new Intel i7 6800K processor which has a socket 2011-v3. After doing some research online, I found the Asus X99-Deluxe II Motherboard to be a great motherboard, but after reading some reviews I'm not sure if it's a good choice.

I wanted to pose the question out there if anyone has any recommendations on a good motherboard. I'm okay with spending up to $450 and am okay with other options from Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI and etc... but I do want something good.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Thanks Again,
AJ

I have built 5 CAD work stations with the ASUS X99-Deluxe II and all are functioning very well. I did use OCZ R400 PCIe NVMe drives. Not sure what programs you are using, but the I7-6850 might be a better choice as it runs a few Mghz faster for not a lot more money.

Thanks for ya'lls feedback. I'm not sure by spending an extra 150 bucks it's worth the upgrade to get very the 6850 vs 6800 but I'll see.

So I guess I'll stick with this Asus motherboard.

What about a good GPU or are you just connecting your external monitor to a hdmi port on the mbo? I was looking at the Asus GTX1060, but not sure. I want something with precise colors because of the work I do. My budget for the GPU is around 300 bucks. Any advice?

Thanks,
Ajay

You are better off putting more of your money towards a better gpu.

Unless you need something specific on the deluxe board I'd just go for one of the boards in the $200 range, again use that money you would have spent there on a gpu upgrade.

The 6850k sounds unecessary, just get the 6800k or 5820k.

Snyder thanks for your feedback.. I will most likely go for the 6800. What GPU you recommend? Motherboard? In your opinion.

I need something that handles compiling software, development of virtual reality and augmented reality applications.

Thanks in advance.

I think you will need a gpu, I don't think any X99 processors have cpu based graphics.

Back