X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

I've modeled a bracket to make it fit. I've only based my measurements from online images and forums so before I get it made I'm waiting for my TF to arrive. Happy to share the file if it works.
Oh that would be wonderful! I've been using a small tower cooler in the meantime, but my vrms would really do well with some top down cooling. Best of luck, hope all goes well!

I've modeled a bracket to make it fit. I've only based my measurements from online images and forums so before I get it made I'm waiting for my TF to arrive. Happy to share the file if it works.

I have a Dark Rock TF on a Gigabyte Z170 m-itx, it is a really good cooler but it is also really big. I can see one big problem on the Asrock X99, how close the socket is to the ram slots.

dark_rock_tf_ram_t.jpg

If you mount with the heat pipes in this or 90 degree orientation the heat pipes are probably not going to able to clear the ram.

30518_be%20quiet%20dark%20rock%20tf%20review%20-%20memory%20clearance.jpg

If mounted like this the lower heat sink will be the problem.

I wish you luck but I think you just don't have enough clearance with that motherboard.

I have a Dark Rock TF on a Gigabyte Z170 m-itx, it is a really good cooler but it is also really big. I can see one big problem on the Asrock X99, how close the socket is to the ram slots.

dark_rock_tf_ram_t.jpg

If you mount with the heat pipes in this or 90 degree orientation the heat pipes are probably not going to able to clear the ram.

30518_be%20quiet%20dark%20rock%20tf%20review%20-%20memory%20clearance.jpg

If mounted like this the lower heat sink will be the problem.

I wish you luck but I think you just don't have enough clearance with that motherboard.

Cheers for the pictures.

So there's 4 orientations to choose from and from my drawings only one scenario is possible. Two are immediately disqualified, as you say, by the lower heat sink covering one of the RAM slots. Facing the heatpipes down gives me plenty of clearance for my GPU but unfortunately looks like it would still make contact with the top panel of my NCase.

That leaves me with the last orientation, heatpipes facing up, which looks totally fine besides the fact that I might need to remove the backplate on the GPU, but we'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
The only "perfect" solution, to make it fit super cleanly, would be to bend the upper heat sink back on itself, toward the 6 heatpipes, thus centering the cooler. This would only be a last resort but I'm confident that's a possibility as well. The only other way would be removing a RAM stick or changing to a less height restricting ITX case, both of which I am not doing.

I won't be attempting anything until all my aircooling parts arrive and the bracket is made - as my system is currently on water.

Cheers for the pictures.

So there's 4 orientations to choose from and from my drawings only one scenario is possible. Two are immediately disqualified, as you say, by the lower heat sink covering one of the RAM slots. Facing the heatpipes down gives me plenty of clearance for my GPU but unfortunately looks like it would still make contact with the top panel of my NCase.

That leaves me with the last orientation, heatpipes facing up, which looks totally fine besides the fact that I might need to remove the backplate on the GPU, but we'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
The only "perfect" solution, to make it fit super cleanly, would be to bend the upper heat sink back on itself, toward the 6 heatpipes, thus centering the cooler. This would only be a last resort but I'm confident that's a possibility as well. The only other way would be removing a RAM stick or changing to a less height restricting ITX case, both of which I am not doing.

I won't be attempting anything until all my aircooling parts arrive and the bracket is made - as my system is currently on water.
Any word on if your brackets ended up working?

Hello, anyone here is using this board with a PCI riser? I'm having issues with a DeepCool one: precisely Whea Logger Event 17 even with PCE GEN 2 from BIOS...

Hello, anyone here is using this board with a PCI riser? I'm having issues with a DeepCool one: precisely Whea Logger Event 17 even with PCE GEN 2 from BIOS...
Hmm I plan to in the future. I know risers can be pretty finicky depending on the model. Best of luck

When I had this board in my S4 Mini chassis, i never had any issues with the NFC Riser (made by HDPlex). I can't remember the BIOS option i used though :(

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm up to date with the firmware so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Still have this issue? I just bought the 500GB Evo since it is $200 at Microcenter. About to install it, so Ill check once I do.

My x99 is still going strong after 2 years. I have updated the 980Ti to a Titan Xp inside a SG13 case on water.
Might be time for a x299 itx build but its hard to part with a 5960x.

My x99 is still going strong after 2 years. I have updated the 980Ti to a Titan Xp inside a SG13 case on water.
I'm sure there are some of us on X99 who would gladly upgrade to your 5960x :p

Yea I am monitoring prices. It’s hard to justify getting x299 since I just built the x99 in January. As soon as I can get the 2699 v5 for 2k on eBay I’ll probably do it.

Yea I am monitoring prices. It’s hard to justify getting x299 since I just built the x99 in January. As soon as I can get the 2699 v5 for 2k on eBay I’ll probably do it.
Yeah I would have probably jumped on X299 if not for my X99 system I built a year ago (black friday spending habits) I can almost stomach the price of Asrock's new ITX board just because how cool it is. Almost

Yeah I would have probably jumped on X299 if not for my X99 system I built a year ago (black friday spending habits) I can almost stomach the price of Asrock's new ITX board just because how cool it is. Almost

Yea, 4 ram slots instead of 2, more M.2 drives. The price of the MB is inconsequential to the price of the CPUs to me.

Did anyone test out the new 3.70 BIOS yet? I just wonder if it still have bitfurcation included, or if we need to ask for a new beta BIOS.

Did anyone test out the new 3.70 BIOS yet? I just wonder if it still have bitfurcation included, or if we need to ask for a new beta BIOS.
Didn't even realize there was a new one..! I'm at least glad to know they'd support it. Fair point about bifurcation. I'm thinking theres a chance some special bioses changes that were made might not be contained in the new revision (like 3.63)

As stupid as it sounds, I believe I've installed them with no issue but I'll check asap.

I believe this should be the Meltdown / Spectre BIOS fix. Not sure they would released an update otherwise?
But I am kind of locked into the two PCIe slots right now.

Guys, is it possible to install an L9x65 on this board using Noctua's Narrow ILM kit? Or will the cooler interfere with the memory and other stuff around the socket?

Reactions: D10S
like this
Guys, is it possible to install an L9x65 on this board using Noctua's Narrow ILM kit? Or will the cooler interfere with the memory and other stuff around the socket?
Hello QuantumBraced , I had mounted a Noctua NH-U9DX i4 and everything was ok,
I sincerely believe not, but Wednesday I get theL9x65 to test,
I still have the mobo X99 (which I must put on sale), I try to tell you....

IMG_6456 3.jpg

Hello QuantumBraced , I had mounted a Noctua NH-U9DX i4 and everything was ok,
I sincerely believe not, but Wednesday I get theL9x65 to test,
I still have the mobo X99 (which I must put on sale), I try to tell you....

View attachment 62086

Thanks! You know, based on further research, I'm almost certain now that it won't fit as it would interfere with the RAM. But if you could do a very quick test just laying it over the socket to verify, I'd much appreciate it :)

What will you be testing the L9x65 on? This clearly isn't for your A4-SFX project.

Last edited:
Reactions: D10S
like this
Thanks! You know, based on further research, I'm almost certain now that it won't fit as it would interfere with the RAM. But if you could do a very quick test just laying it over the socket to verify, I'd much appreciate it :)

What will you be testing the L9x65 on? This clearly isn't for your A4-SFX project.

Attachments

• IMG_8520.JPG
    IMG_8520.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 0
Anyone else here using a 1650 or 1680 v3 with this? My 1650v3 that runs x45 multiplier on gigabyte and EVGA x99 boards doesn't seem to overclock on this asrock board. I can set the multiplier to 45 but in the OS it never says it goes above 3.6 .

Am I missing something in the stocka bios?

I'm having some Bluetooth issues with my board and I'm wondering if my wireless card has gone bad. I've been using an Intel 7260 for the last few years, but it may have crapped out.

Will the 9260 fit this board? Looks like the pins are a little different but I think it would work. I'm confused by all the different form factors - PCIe half mini, m2...

I'm having some Bluetooth issues with my board and I'm wondering if my wireless card has gone bad. I've been using an Intel 7260 for the last few years, but it may have crapped out.

Will the 9260 fit this board? Looks like the pins are a little different but I think it would work. I'm confused by all the different form factors - PCIe half mini, m2...
Last I looked into it, this board uses mini-pcie (aka PCIE Mini Card)

It is a different form factor and key than M.2 and carries x1 pcie bandwidth

Last edited:
Laat I looked into it, this board uses mini-pcie (aka PCIE Mini Card)

It is a different form factor and key than M.2 and carries x1 pcie bandwidth

Ah yeah now that you mention it the 9260 doesn't appear to be available in PCIe half mini.

Wondering about this Broadcom card:

https://www.amazon.com/BCM94352HMB-802-11-867Mbps-WLAN-BT4-0/dp/B074Q2WDRM

It seems to have a good reputation for Bluetooth functionality, which is what I'm looking for.

The description states the motherboard must open the USB bus for the Bluetooth function to work, so I need to figure out if that is the case on the X99e-ITX/AC

edit - just realized that's the same card that's included with the X99-ITX/AC. I didn't have great luck with it originally, so I replaced it with the 7260

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah yeah now that you mention it the 9260 doesn't appear to be available in PCIe half mini.

Wondering about this Broadcom card:

https://www.amazon.com/BCM94352HMB-802-11-867Mbps-WLAN-BT4-0/dp/B074Q2WDRM

It seems to have a good reputation for Bluetooth functionality, which is what I'm looking for.

The description states the motherboard must open the USB bus for the Bluetooth function to work, so I need to figure out if that is the case on the X99e-ITX/AC

edit - just realized that's the same card that's included with the X99-ITX/AC. I didn't have great luck with it originally, so I replaced it with the 7260

The x99e-itx does indeed route the USB pins on the miniPCIe slot, can confirm that from using a BCM94360CD card with it, which needs USB for bluetooth too. Perhaps not relevant for you since it's the stock card anyway, but just in case anyone else stumbles across the post in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up replacing the Intel 7260 with the original included Broadcom card. I downloaded the Bluetooth drivers from ASRock and am back in business.

My Bluetooth device was out of battery, so I also replaced the batteries in that. I think what was happening is the device was dying from low power, and for whatever reason the Intel drivers didn't know how to handle it, causing my computer to lock up. The Intel card never had an issue with other Bluetooth devices, but for whatever reason this one (Xbox One wireless controller) really tripped it up.

Dont update BIOS to latest if you have 5960x. Luckily our bios chips can be replaced by pulling them out. Ebay flashed with 1.60 saved me.

After 3 years with regular maintenance no complaints here aside from the BIOS flash. SM951 still reading/writing strong. I upgraded to a Titan V. Intel finally has another 8c/16t chip at half the price of my 5960x.

Last edited:
I tried 2x Samsung 64GB DDR4 ECC REG RAM(M393A8G40D40-CRB) on X99E-itx and it works perfectly.
You can achieve 128GB ram on X99E-itx/ac.

I have and issue with 64GB module on X99e-itx/ac motherboard.

It is reported above that this motherboard works with two 64GB stick marked M393A8G40D40-CRB. I found the photo of this module and it looks like this (note 2S4Rx4 rank):

M393A8G40D40.jpg

I have different 64GB module which looks like this (note 2DRx4 rank):

IMG_20181122_110706a.jpg

The latter one doesn't work in this mobo. I asked Asrock support for hints why some 64GB modules work while others don't. They replied to me this way:

Screenshot - 01.12.2018 - 21:04:15.png

And this is black magic to me. Could someone take a look at their answer and translate it to not-advanced-causual-computer-user language? Looking at their answer I still cannot figure out which ranks are supposed to work, which aren't and for which I should look on the market to minimize the risk of failure.

I would appreciate your help.

thank you,
geos

ps. I have 32GB LRDIMM module that looks like this:

IMG_20181122_110706b.jpg

and it works like a charm in this motherboard.

Just posting that the new Corsair line doesn't support the old asetek bracket. Don't waste your time. Had to go kraken x52 for an immediate fix.

Is it possible to have more than 32GB of RAM with a non-Xeon CPU in the X99e-itx/ac?
Most 32GB+ moduels are RDIMM or LRDIMM, which won't work with non-Xeon CPUs. There isn't any 32GB UDIMMS on the market as far as I know. Samsung recently released some 32GB SO-DIMM modules. IF they released a 32GB UDIMM, then in theory it might work. Or you could try with a SO-DIMM to DIMM adapter.

Most 32GB+ moduels are RDIMM or LRDIMM, which won't work with non-Xeon CPUs. There isn't any 32GB UDIMMS on the market as far as I know. Samsung recently released some 32GB SO-DIMM modules. IF they released a 32GB UDIMM, then in theory it might work. Or you could try with a SO-DIMM to DIMM adapter.

Thanks. I looked this up, and apparently Samsung also released 32GB UDIMMs.

See here: Samsung Adds 32 GB UDIMMs to Memory Lineup

I'm sure they'll be unavailable/extremely overpriced for a long time, but I'd be curious to see if they work in the board. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Thanks. I looked this up, and apparently Samsung also released 32GB UDIMMs.

See here: Samsung Adds 32 GB UDIMMs to Memory Lineup

I'm sure they'll be unavailable/extremely overpriced for a long time, but I'd be curious to see if they work in the board. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Another alternative would be to go with the EPC612D4I board, which has 4 SODIMM slots. That would give you even more capacity, and quad channel. Should work with non-Xeon CPUs, I think. Or go for X299.

Back