X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

Remember it's PCIe 3.0 x8, with that bandwidth your Titan X has zero noticeable performance degradation.
Umh, well, i'd like to try !
If i lost "zero" performance on Titan X ...i'd like to buy:
- a great riser split
- a m2 pcie adapter (2 x m2)
So, what's your suggestions?
Thanks Lukedriftwood ! :)

Umh, well, i'd like to try !
If i lost "zero" performance on Titan X ...i'd like to buy:
- a great riser split
- a m2 pcie adapter (2 x m2)
So, what's your suggestions?
Thanks Lukedriftwood ! :)

Check the other thread "PCI-E Bifurcation" for more info :)

Reactions: D10S
like this
Check the other thread "PCI-E Bifurcation" for more info :)
Wow !!! Just discover this new word!!!
So...now i've a lot of read here and that...but seems to me, that a lot of people just want "PCI-E Bifurcation" for dual GPU...
...but, i'm really happy with my Titan, and CPU satisfy me a lot,
what i'd like...is more speed in write/read storage,
now i'm working on a stripped ride 0: 3 x ssd 950 Pro 1 TB, that give me 1150 write/ 1500 read
But a solution with this new way.... using the m2 slot with "
DN PCI-e 1X / 4x Card NGFF M.2"
and riser with a ssd m2 PCIe attached...would give me 4 m2 ?
It's possible???...and all this, of course, under OSX :nailbiting:

Wow !!! Just discover this new word!!!
So...now i've a lot of read here and that...but seems to me, that a lot of people just want "PCI-E Bifurcation" for dual GPU...
...but, i'm really happy with my Titan, and CPU satisfy me a lot,
what i'd like...is more speed in write/read storage,
now i'm working on a stripped ride 0: 3 x ssd 950 Pro 1 TB, that give me 1150 write/ 1500 read
But a solution with this new way.... using the m2 slot with "
DN PCI-e 1X / 4x Card NGFF M.2"
and riser with a ssd m2 PCIe attached...would give me 4 m2 ?
It's possible???...and all this, of course, under OSX :nailbiting:

It's possible but you cannot put those M.2 drives in RAID.

This board is selling in the UK for £270 odd these days. Is it still worth buying? Looking to do a workstation build and I can't bring myself to buy a prosumer Z270 board with no ECC support!

This board is selling in the UK for £270 odd these days. Is it still worth buying? Looking to do a workstation build and I can't bring myself to buy a prosumer Z270 board with no ECC support!

Yep totally worth it, if you dont have urgent need, X299 ITX is likely to come out later this year.

If you need the smallest X99 motherboard, this is the only one ...so in this case:
NO! it's no worth it...:)
...but if you can build your workstation with M-ATX or ATX board, so space and portability aren't a problem, you'll pay less and have a lot more, and in this case:
YES this ITX x99 board it's worth it! ;)

I hate to speculate, but multiple rumors are putting the AMD ryzen 8 core chips lower in price than the 6800k.

The X99 ITX asrock is a great motherboard, but if you are looking for more bang for your buck you may want to wait a month or so as Ryzen is getting launched soon. And there are confirmed ITX motherboards for their 8 core parts.

Edit: if you are going 10 core x99 then go right ahead as I'm pretty sure that'll beat just about everything.

The X99 ITX asrock is a great motherboard, but if you are looking for more bang for your buck you may want to wait a month or so as Ryzen is getting launched soon. And there are confirmed ITX motherboards for their 8 core parts.

Thanks, good advice. Been keeping an eye on Ryzen and AMD do seem more likely to add ECC to their CPU/chipsets. That said the only ITX board I've seen ready at launch is from Biostar...might have to wait a few months at least if I want an ITX board from one of the more reputable vendors - think Asus said they were waiting to see how popular AMD's new product is before building an ITX board... :(

I hate to speculate, but multiple rumors are putting the AMD ryzen 8 core chips lower in price than the 6800k.

Edit: if you are going 10 core x99 then go right ahead as I'm pretty sure that'll beat just about everything.
I think, a very good "bang of buck" right now are 5820K-5930K-5960X.
But this Haswell-E and the new Broadwell-E doesn't support ECC ram, correct?
So...Xeon+X99, if you need right now to build, and if you need a very small build: this is your motherboard.

I think, a very good "bang of buck" right now are 5820K-5930K-5960X.
But this Haswell-E and the new Broadwell-E doesn't support ECC ram, correct?
So...Xeon+X99, if you need right now to build, and if you need a very small build: this is your motherboard.
The i7 on the X99 itx board can run up to 2x32GB ECC RAM with the right BIOS.

With a Xeon you can get up to 2x128GB! Take a look at this thread on p26, Chemist_slime has it up and running at 2400MHz.

Last edited:

With a Xeon you can get up to 2x128GB! Take a look at the Asrock X99 itx thread.
Perfect! Thanks Hermit!
Only Broadwell-E?
So, x99+i7 and 64GB or x99+Xeon and 256GB ! :)

Last edited:

With a Xeon you can get up to 2x128GB! Take a look at the Asrock X99 itx thread.
Only Xeons support ECC RAM, so you're limited to 32GB with the Core i7 line, seeing as the largest available DIMMs are 16GB sans ECC. I'm not sure where you got that information from.

Last edited:
See also: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ac-ssd-sm951-6-core-5820k-32gb-gtx970.169132/

I am definitely up for trying this, just to confirm it works :)

i7 CPUs can support up to 2x16GB ECC UDIMM RAM on Asrock X99 (operate in non-ECC mode), beyond that capacity all ECC RAMs are registered RDIMM which do not work with i7.

So for now i7 CPUs only work with maximum 32GB RAM, ECC or not. However I've heard very recently there's a 32GB single stick DDR4 RAM coming out.

i7 CPUs can support up to 2x16GB ECC UDIMM RAM on Asrock X99 (operate in non-ECC mode), beyond that capacity all ECC RAMs are registered RDIMM which do not work with i7.

So for now i7 CPUs only work with maximum 32GB RAM, ECC or not.
Not sure I follow as both examples used Registered RAM. Are you saying neither should have worked? Or, because one was 1x32GB, the other 2x16GB, they are at the maximum configuration?

Not sure I follow as both examples used Registered RAM. Are you saying neither should have worked? Or, because one was 1x32GB, the other 2x16GB, they are at the maximum configuration?

If you dig deeper and look closely, the Samsung 32GB and Kingston 2x16GB ECC RAMs you quoted are actually all unbuffered/unregistered.

Registered RAM simply do not work with desktop CPU at all.

It looks like the Kingstons are registered (http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21R15D4_16.pdf). The Samsung ones are LRDIMMs and use a buffer (http://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...m/ddr4-load-reduced-dimm/M386A4G40DM0?ia=2504).
What have I missed? :)

20170220093412.png

Told you to dig deeper :) Looks like a mismatch between the listing and the actual products shipped.

Let me reiterate, i7 CPUs do not work with registered RAMs.

View attachment 17385

Told you to dig deeper :) Looks like a mismatch between the listing and the actual products shipped.

Just to point out that the Xeon E5-1600 family are essentially the same as the i7s, but with ECC and RDIMM support. I think they are even supposed to be multiplier unlocked. So If someone really needs more RAM, then these might be worth considering.

View attachment 17385

Jeez, thats worrying that the Manufacturer hasn't corrected the listing, but it has only been 11days-CORRECTION: they have commented twice more in 2016 on this part incorrectly asserting that it is Registered. I've checked another Kingston listing and that spec definitely is Registered (http://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk...1R15D4/16&category_id=0&description=1&model=1)
So that leaves one wondering just what they are actually selling!?

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm planning a build with this board and the only thing that is left to decide is the RAM.
I will be using a 5820K cooled by the Noctua NH-U9DX i4. With this cooler I think I need to get RAM that is no higher than 33 ou 34 mm, as I will be using the cooler horizontally.

Now, the question that I have is related to frequency and timings. I would like to get 2 sticks of 8GB each that are between 2400 and (maybe) 3000MHz and with low latency (max CL15).
I've found some kits that meet this requirement (link to some) but none of them are listed as compatible in the Asrock memory support list.

Should I buy and try to see if they work?

Stick with 2400 - 2666 max if you want to be safe. Anything above that is a potential risk as Haswell-E's IMC is weak and leads to incompatibility or - in extreme cases - IMC failure. Broadwell-E's IMC appears to be quite a bit more robust by comparison.

I just upgraded to a 960 EVO but I'm not getting the performance that I was expecting. My read speeds are 2249 MB/s and writes speeds are 1492 MB/s. I should be getting 3200 MB/s read speeds. I already upgraded to the latest UEFI/Bios. I checked Samsung Magician and I am running at PCIe Gen 3x4 so what gives?

I just upgraded to a 960 EVO but I'm not getting the performance that I was expecting. My read speeds are 2249 MB/s and writes speeds are 1492 MB/s. I should be getting 3200 MB/s read speeds. I already upgraded to the latest UEFI/Bios. I checked Samsung Magician and I am running at PCIe Gen 3x4 so what gives?

I have a 960evo 512gb and I ran the magician software after a few months of not running it and I got reads of 2043 and writes of 1604 after running it a few times

You piqued my interest since I thought mine used to be higher. However, I noticed my 960evos firmware was out of date. After updating to the latest though the magician software I got these results:

Read: 2419
Write: 1636

The 2nd time I ran it I scored below 2000 on the reads... This continued for the next few runs. Not sure what the issue is either.

I have a 960evo 512gb and I ran the magician software after a few months of not running it and I got reads of 2043 and writes of 1604 after running it a few times

You piqued my interest since I thought mine used to be higher. However, I noticed my 960evos firmware was out of date. After updating to the latest though the magician software I got these results:

Read: 2419
Write: 1636

The 2nd time I ran it I scored below 2000 on the reads... This continued for the next few runs. Not sure what the issue is either.

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm up to date with the firmware so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Just a notification for this thread: Newegg has the Asrock x99e-ITX/ac for $209.99 AR right now.. sale ends on 3/31/17.

If anyone needs a like new Dynatron T318 copper CPU cooler, I have one for sale. 20 bucks plus shipping.

just updated from bios 3.4 to 3.6 and my XMP DRAM profile is no longer stable :( has anyone else had this?

So if I get a narrow ilm mounting bracket for 2011 from noctua, i can use my nh-d15s with this motherboard? Would it block the pcie port?

So if I get a narrow ilm mounting bracket for 2011 from noctua, i can use my nh-d15s with this motherboard? Would it block the pcie port?
it wouldn't block the pcie port, but it wouldn't be able to fit in a case
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9IL0UvNDk5NTg2L29yaWdpbmFsL05vY3R1YV9OSC1EMTVfaW5zdGFsbGVkLmpwZw==

Guys, I am trying to mount the original Noctua C14 on my X99E-itx/ac board. I got the Noctua narrow ILM kit, but the screws don't clear 2 of the heatpipes, as people found out earlier in the thread. Luckily, the spring-loaded screws from the included Dynatron R24 cooler fit! Unfortunately, when I moved continents, I ditched all inessential weight, which included that cooler. And it didn't occur to me at the time to save the screws.

Long story short, if someone here has their Dynatron cooler and doesn't intend to use it, I will pay you $20 for its 4 mounting screws, including shipping. I live in the UK, but shipping shouldn't be more than $5 with the cheapest option. If you're interested, PM me.

Has anybody managed to fit a be quiet cooler on this board yet? Looking to get a Dark Rock TF.

Has anybody managed to fit a be quiet cooler on this board yet? Looking to get a Dark Rock TF.
I actually bought a TF for mine. Its still sitting nicely in its box.. Just never really decided to give it the propper effort to make it work. I'm all ears for anyone with suggestions on how to approach a reasonable solution to this.

I actually bought a TF for mine. Its still sitting nicely in its box.. Just never really decided to give it the propper effort to make it work. I'm all ears for anyone with suggestions on how to approach a reasonable solution to this.

I've modeled a bracket to make it fit. I've only based my measurements from online images and forums so before I get it made I'm waiting for my TF to arrive. Happy to share the file if it works.

Back