X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

Pretty much every single 2011-3 CPU works in this board (including ES ones). Even the quad socket variants (E5-46xx) are supported.

Awesome, thanks for reporting back! I'm going to flash to P1.20E to see where the Bifurcation option sits.

Alright, check out Advanced > Chipset > PCIE1 Port Config

Thanks!

Not there for me in 1.40 nor 1.50.

I must be looking in the wrong place, but can't seem to find the Cache voltage in HWinfo or Aida?? Can anyone help out?

If anybody is interested, I have finally got ESXi 6.0 working after a few too many hours of trial and error but mostly trusty Google and all those that have been down this path with other boards before me.

I picked ESXi 6.0 over 5.5 because 6.0 has a lot of new features including much more solid UEFI support and especially UEFI boot support from my Samsung SM951 in the M.2 slot. As it turns out, it was this UEFI support that slowed me down the most as I couldn't work out why the Host couldn't see any USB devices despite finding the USB controllers without any trouble.

I am afraid I haven't been very scientific and haven't had time to go back and try different combinations of settings but I can assure you that these settings work very well with more than acceptable benchmarking scores coming out of the clients that I am gradually bringing to life on my XEON E5-2676 V3 workhorse.

First BIOS settings where all the usual suspects need to be enabled/disabled:-
  • Advanced\CPU Configuration\Intel Virt. Tech. ENABLED
  • Advanced\Chipset Configuration\VT-d ENABLED
  • Boot Option UEFI BIOS
  • Fast Boot DISABLED
  • Boot\CSM DISABLED

The ones that took me the longest to work out were in the Advanced\USB Configuration
  • Intel USB 3.0 Mode Auto
  • Legacy USB support UEFI Setup Only
  • Legacy USB 3 Support ENABLED

After that the most helpful site I used was this one which taught me things about ESXi which I would never have learnt anywhere else. In particular, the following articles in no particular order:=

This got me started by explaining why I couldn't see any NIC's on my configuration

This selection of available ESXI packages let me pick and choose "missing" drivers in VIB file format.

And then this fabulous Customizer was simply icing on the cake to packaging it all together.

Full build details and links to my customised ISO installer will be in my next post.

Needless to say, all care no responsibility is all I can offer for this science project. I have no doubt that some of you will be much cleverer than me when it comes to ESXI but the overall good news is that it works!

Last edited:
Awesome work, this is a nice find and interesting increase for home lab efficiency.

As per my previous post, I have created a customized ESXi 6.0 build (VMKernel Release Build 3380124) for the X99E-itx/ac which includes support for both the I211-AT and I218V on-board NIC's, the NMVe M.2 slot, the EXSi Embedded Host Client and the latest Intel CPU microcode updates.

For those of you who might like to try out ESXi, my customized bootable ISO installer can be downloaded from here. For those that prefer to use a bootable USB, I use UNetbootin which can be downloaded from here

ESXi seems to find all the available installed devices and has pass through support (if required) for your Graphics card, USB controllers and devices, HD audio device, M.2 controller, on-board WiFi and both Gigabit Ethernet ports. So far I haven't tested all of these but can confirm that the pass through of my Intel AC 7260 WiFi card works fine in my Windows 10 Pro Client.

I am relatively new to ESXi and so would welcome any feedback in the form of suggestions, user experiences and suggested improvements.

For me at least, this SFX build has opened a whole new world in terms of the Server based demos I can now perform from my "little carry-on box". It is truly amazing!

Needless to say, I am very grateful for all the contributions that everybody has made to this thread. Only 1 month ago, I didn't think that a truly portable XEON Server was possible.

Last edited:
Sometimes hosting LAN-parties, I can embrace the desire for a portable server. Thanks again for the write-up and offering the ISO for everyone !

Where are you getting stuck fs454 ? Im running Yosemite and Windows 10 without issue.

Can you post a basic step by step on your process to getting Yosemite running and/or the utilities you used? Unibeast 5 or 6, or neither? The kexts used and tools used to inject them?

I've been following X99 guides on tonymacx86 including one where the user had a 2676V3, but I've been stuck at the initial installer boot process.

I can do this on one SSD, right? I have a 1TB SSD partitioned 240GB for OS X and the rest for Windows.

Thanks a ton.

I've tried GSkill Ripjaw V and Corsair Vengeance (both 3200) which aren't on the QVL list but work fine. I know others have tried Dominatora also.

It should be OK:)

thanks for sharing your ISO

I have a spare x99 itx and thinking of trying esxi also, your post made me more eager to try.

is GPU pass trough working on your build?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I' ve just received a new sample of this board as replacement for the one which gave me the infamous whea logger event 17 error.

Now this motherboard won't boot at all! I've just installed it in the same exactly pc in which the old one was seated in with no luck.

Sometimes I can enter in the bios but can't do anything, like trying to update the bios which I presumed corrupted.

There is something I can do or do I need another RMA?

If this can help the motherboard give me 5 beeps and a black screen.

What ca I do?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I' ve just received a new sample of this board as replacement for the one which gave me the infamous whea logger event 17 error.

Now this motherboard won't boot at all! I've just installed it in the same exactly pc in which the old one was seated in with no luck.

Sometimes I can enter in the bios but can't do anything, like trying to update the bios which I presumed corrupted.

There is something I can do or do I need another RMA?

If this can help the motherboard give me 5 beeps and a black screen.

What ca I do?

Contact ASRock - ask them what 5 beeps means. It may be the CPU is actually the problem...

Nox

BTW how good is the wifi/BT module? It looks finicky to install and my preference is to stick a USB wifi stick in the USB port on occasion when I do need it if at all.

It's quite bad in my experience and the bluetooth module is the worst. I've replaced it with a asus usb ac56 which is pretty good.

Hey this is my first hardforum post so I apologize if I am messing anything up. I am having some issues with posting and was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. Also, apologies because I can't paste links yet while I am still a fresh new member.

Here is my parts list: Intel Core i7-5820K, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti - System Build - PCPartPicker. I also have the adapter bracket for the h75 and have everything all installed. When everything is all connected and good to go, I get no beeps from my motherboard speaker, but also no post. I have a sticker on the chipset that says p 1.2 which led me to believe that my bios didn't support my ram.

I went to the compatibility specs sheet for the motherboard and purchased this ram from amazon: amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMLUYPQ. I hoped it would solve my problems, but alas that didn't :/ I stripped my parts down and began to rebuild.

With nothing but the CPU, I get three beeps. Then with the CPU and a stick of ram I get ten beeps. Then, if I add the GPU in, I get five beeps. But in all instances, I get no video out the displayport despite fans spinning and pumps going. I also tried with my friend's evga gtx 780 but still to no avail. At this point, I'm thinking the CPU or the motherboard may be the issue, but still feel it is somehow tied to the bios version.

Do you have any advice on how to proceed? Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Hey this is my first hardforum post so I apologize if I am messing anything up. I am having some issues with posting and was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. Also, apologies because I can't paste links yet while I am still a fresh new member.

Here is my parts list: Intel Core i7-5820K, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti - System Build - PCPartPicker. I also have the adapter bracket for the h75 and have everything all installed. When everything is all connected and good to go, I get no beeps from my motherboard speaker, but also no post. I have a sticker on the chipset that says p 1.2 which led me to believe that my bios didn't support my ram.

I went to the compatibility specs sheet for the motherboard and purchased this ram from amazon: amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMLUYPQ. I hoped it would solve my problems, but alas that didn't :/ I stripped my parts down and began to rebuild.

With nothing but the CPU, I get three beeps. Then with the CPU and a stick of ram I get ten beeps. Then, if I add the GPU in, I get five beeps. But in all instances, I get no video out the displayport despite fans spinning and pumps going. I also tried with my friend's evga gtx 780 but still to no avail. At this point, I'm thinking the CPU or the motherboard may be the issue, but still feel it is somehow tied to the bios version.

Do you have any advice on how to proceed? Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I have a very similar system - same CPU and RAM, similar GPU and SSDs. So I can confirm that the RAM works with the board; BUT you need firmware version P1.40 or P1.50. My board also shipped with P1.20, so I too got a 4GB stick to upgrade the firmware. It might have even been the exact same part you linked to at Amazon. Does your board boot with the 4GB stick? If not I'd contact ASRock for more info about what the beeps mean, and whether you need to RMA the board. (Or, one more thought: You've checked it's not the monitor, right?)

I doubt its the CPU unless you dont have enough clean power. So its likely ram or motherboard. I bet its your 16gb ram sticks. I always have lower density ram when doing a system build unless it's specifically supported in the QVL in case problems like this come up. The only supported 16gb ram is RDIMM. I almost bought some 16gb ram sticks then chickened out to avoid lottery issues and went with 8gb rdimm.

I have narrowed it down to PSU, CPU, or Mobo. I tried my friends working evga 780 and that produces the exact same result in my machine. Also, my 980 ti hybrid posts in his machine. I did think it was the ram, so I got a 4gb stick directly from AsRock's memory compatibility list for this motherboard. If I use my 16gb sticks, I get no beeps and no post. If I use my 4gb stick, I just get 5 beeps but still no signal to the monitor despite all my lights and fans and pumps working.

I have a very similar system - same CPU and RAM, similar GPU and SSDs. So I can confirm that the RAM works with the board; BUT you need firmware version P1.40 or P1.50. My board also shipped with P1.20, so I too got a 4GB stick to upgrade the firmware. It might have even been the exact same part you linked to at Amazon. Does your board boot with the 4GB stick? If not I'd contact ASRock for more info about what the beeps mean, and whether you need to RMA the board. (Or, one more thought: You've checked it's not the monitor, right?)

My monitor works definitely! I've had it plugged into my laptop and I've gotten the same result on other monitors with different cables also. My board gives no beeps and no post with any combo of 16gb sticks. With the 4gb stick, I get 5 beeps but no post (no video out to display). I sent in an email to AsRock and jet.com where I bought the board. Jet wanted me to initiate a refund immediately but that means I'd have to wait for my package to get all the way there and they have up to 10 days to process my return and then a few more days before it gets back to my credit card and I can reorder (not really wanting to do that). My order was fulfilled by newegg so I want to reach out to them today. I'm also hoping AsRock gets back to me, though I've had issues with their support as when I emailed them before, their "support" was just a bunch of different segments and links copied from various places across the internet.

Thanks again to both of you for getting back to me so fast.

Last edited:
As per my previous post, I have created a customized ESXi 6.0 build (VMKernel Release Build 3380124) for the X99E-itx/ac which includes support for both the I211-AT and I218V on-board NIC's, the NMVe M.2 slot, the EXSi Embedded Host Client and the latest Intel CPU microcode updates.

That's awesome. But it's something that Asrock should have done themselves. HP do. Indeed, now you've done it, you might ask Asrock to list it and host it.

Remove the CPU and inspect it for any capacitor or pin damage on CPU, as well as motherboard pins. Make sure it is inserted and seated correctly. Dont order any more parts. Just go to a local computer store and ask them nicely to check the PSU or insert your CPU in a working system for you to test the part. This is the problem with DIY if you dont have any spare parts handy, and where having a local helps and saves you time. Be polite and nice to them and they will help you out if they are not busy. Give them some business in return in the future because these guys have to pay rent.

Just got back from Best Buy. I'm not at home in Los Angeles and being away at an unfamiliar college town in Indiana makes it a bit tough. Best Buy wanted me to pay $100 to test out my CPU on their bench so I said thanks but no thanks. Hopefully I'll hear back from AsRock before Monday in which case I will probably just initiate a return at jet.com. I'm pretty bummed but what can you do!

Yeah BB is not the best place to try that since its all about $$$ there and then and zero goodwill. Last resort is to try and clear the CMOS by removing jumpers if you haven't already in case its not on default. Sometimes doing this on very complex boards is a little risky though, but should be ok.

Yeah it was pretty disappointing to say the least, but they definitely have that Geek Squad business model down. $100 for a one-time consultation, $350 for a 3 year membership . . . Anyway, I did short the CMOS and let the battery drain overnight last night to no avail :/ So pretty much at this point I'm waiting to hear back from AsRock to see what the next step is.

That's awesome. But it's something that Asrock should have done themselves. HP do. Indeed, now you've done it, you might ask Asrock to list it and host it.

Normally, I would agree with you. The trouble is that ASRock would have to pay for the pleasure of "certifying" this board and then need to take responsibility for all the non-server components that exist on this board which clearly they are unable to do. Personally I am just grateful that ASRock had the presence of mind to build this board for people like me who need to have access to a personal mobile server.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing your ISO

I have a spare x99 itx and thinking of trying esxi also, your post made me more eager to try.

is GPU pass trough working on your build?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. Like many others, I found out the hard way that you have to spend a fistful of dollars for a high end nVidia board that will support pass through. Fortunately AMD is a lot more generous and I was able to get it working on an R9 360 without any problems on a Win 10 64bit Guest.

Normally, I would agree with you. The trouble is that ASRock would have to pay for the pleasure of "certifying" this board and then need to take responsibility for all the non-server components that exist on this board which clearly they are unable to do.

And how much would that cost? Not a lot relatively speaking.

And how much would that cost? Not a lot relatively speaking.

Actually, it would be quite a lot. On normal server grade boards they only use server grade components that all have almost defacto VMWare support. By contrast our board has a host of unsupported consumer grade components. You can't expect ASRock to support and provide sever grade drivers for all of them.

wreckem and anyone who has tried it: what was your experience with the Asetek 545LC? Any temps?

Don't know why I'm obsessed with this cooler at the mo, but I'm getting the itch to try it (just for shiggles) on an overclocked 5820K in my M1.

Does anyone use this board with a pci express riser/extender? I've found the "whea logger Event 17" issue is probably due to the way the motherboard react to the riser.

I can elaborate:

1) the motherboard works well with the video card put in directly,

2) the video card doesn't show errors when hosted on another motherbord, even using the pci express riser cable.

In orer to confirm this thesis i'd need some feedback.

P.S. I've a Deepcool Tristellar case, so I need the riser!

Cyberpower pc uses this board with the Deepcool Tristellar (like mine) combined with a gtx Titan Z for their Trinity xtreem system. It should work.

So, how exactly does this NH-C14 fit?
NH-C14 X99
vamUNJL.jpg

12nJoDf.jpg

HBLkl8f.jpg

8gGxgFo.jpg

I have the narrow ILM kit but the brackets still don't fit (last pic). The brackets for the stock cooler fit (3rd pic) I suppose but that means I can only put the cooler one way, right?

Last edited:
Here's some pics from when I installed mine...

That doesn't look like the correct bracket in the last pic either?

1.jpg

2.JPG

Here's some pics from when I installed mine...

That doesn't look like the correct bracket in the last pic either?

1.jpg

2.JPG

Huh, WTF then. I got the NM-I2011 mounting kit from Noctua and those were the brackets included. Ah man, if I have to wait another week to get some stupid brackets I will be seriously bummed. You went watercooled right?..Any chance you have the correct brackets still handy?

Hmmm definitely don't seem to be the right ones :(

Yep switched to WCing (installing the Bitspower mono block today - hurrah!) but am holding onto the brackets, for when/if I move back to air.

Hmmm definitely don't seem to be the right ones :(

Yep switched to WCing (installing the Bitspower mono block today - hurrah!) but am holding onto the brackets, for when/if I move back to air.

Was worth a shot! I was feeling kinda discouraged but I ate some delicious tacos and now I think I will continue the build and use the horrible stock cooler until Noctua can send me the correct brackets.

The NH-C14 would be an alternative too, if you don't shy away from a little modding. You'll need the NM-XFB4 (the leftmost set of brackets) which you should be able to order from Noctua, and the screws from the included Dynatron R24 cooler. It's still a bit tricky to tighten the screws, especially those under the heatpipes.

This is the mounting kit that I used to mount my C14 on the board. I also found that using an ultra-low-profile screwdriver, and using 10 mm M4 screws instead of the Dynatron screws, made the installation much easier, but if you are handy and patient, you should be able to get away with a regular driver and the included screws.

Well I had quite a time with this computer already. For anyone searching this thread later: Samsung 950 Pro is not recognized by Windows 7 so you will need to install on another disk and then clone the files over. The alternative is to try and sideload some drivers for it but honestly just doing the install then cloning is just easier.

As an aside this Dynatron stock cooler is absurdly loud under load. I can't wait for Noctua to send me the correct parts because this is as loud as the server room at work.

hi all, what program are people using to monitor/control fan speeds?

I have speedfan and i'm sure it was working a while back, but at some point recently it's changed to only monitoring fan speeds. Not entirely sure what's changed to cause it, or did I dream it was working before? Am on 1.5 bios

Nox

I just use the standard fan control in the BIOS for my fans and pump - it gives enough control for me.

I've never had much luck with speed fan.

Well, 7-14 business days for the correct brackets. I will have to deal with the Dynatron cooler until they show up. Guess I will wear my headphones (n)

hi all, what program are people using to monitor/control fan speeds?

I have speedfan and i'm sure it was working a while back, but at some point recently it's changed to only monitoring fan speeds. Not entirely sure what's changed to cause it, or did I dream it was working before? Am on 1.5 bios

Nox

Speedfan has only worked sporadically for me as well. For the last few months, it's only been able to monitor fan speeds.

I've also noticed the boot options seem to like to change themselves. I've changed it to the high res splash screen, and it keeps changing itself back.

edit - updated BIOS to 1.50, and the high res splash screen option appears to be gone, along with a couple of other options. Speedfan still doesn't work.

Last edited:
edit - updated BIOS to 1.50, and the high res splash screen option appears to be gone, along with a couple of other options. Speedfan still doesn't work.

just disable compatibility mode again - your high res UEFI BIOS will come back :)

Nox

Back