X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

It would be strange for Windows to affect the post time and BIOS?

I know why you have poor writespeed you have to enable os optimation or use the 950 pro beta driver from samsung.

Device Manager --> Drives-->Samsungssd-->properties-->policies and enable both options.

Now your seq. Speed should be for the 256gb version:

Read: 2053mb/s
Write:922mb/s

But if your ssd temp is over 70°c the speed will be lower

Last edited:
I know why you have poor writespeed you have to enable os optimation or use the 950 pro beta driver from samsung.

Device Manager --> Drives-->Samsungssd-->properties-->policies and enable both options.

Now your seq. Speed should be for the 256gb version:

Read: 2053mb/s
Write:922mb/s

But if your ssd temp is over 70°c the speed will be lower

I'm running the Samsung drivers (have unistalled and reinstalled), and write caching is enabled. The sequential I'm not as worried about - it's the woeful random rear/writes that are worse than my old AHCI drive...

Yes I know do you enabled both option in the Police of the samsung 950pro? The lower option is to improve the write speed.

I dont know the real english translation because i have it in german but the lower option mean: disable let windows provoke to clear the writecache. If you don't check it you will get bad write performance

Last edited:
Yes I know do you enabled both option in the Police of the samsung 950pro? The lower option is to improve the write speed.

I assume that's the buffer flushing? Makes little/no difference - disalbed on left, enabled on right:

Samsung%20950Pro%20151116_4.JPG

Do you have CSM enabled ? That's one of the causes where an NVMe drive takes a long time to boot.

Have tried enabled and disabled however seems to make no difference for me

If anyone is interested in picking up this board right now(and you have an AMEX card) you can get it for $160 after $30 rebate, $25 Visa Checkout discount and $25 Amex statement credit.

I posted this in the General Hardware forum a while back, but it seems most likely to be a motherboard issue:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1880727

I first noticed this problem a few weeks ago, and initially thought it was an overheating issue, but I don't believe that to be the case.

After a power surge, I returned to my computer to find it powered on, but with no image on the display, and with the graphics card fan spinning at 100%. I shut the system down, and attempted to restart. The computer powered back on, but the graphics card fan returned to 100% speed, and I still had no output to the display. I powered the computer down, returned ten minutes later, and it started normally.

Since then, I have noticed the system exhibits this behavior any time it is disconnected from power. The first time it is powered on after being reconnected, the graphics card fan spins up to 100% and will not output to the display. The only way to start the system after it is disconnected from power is to turn it on, turn it off, wait five to ten minutes, then turn it on again.

This build is only about a month old, and since it wasn't disconnected from power before the power surge, I can't say if the issue appeared after the power surge, or was always present. Either way, a power conditioner is in my future. I still need to determine what is causing the startup issues after power disconnection.

Windows 10
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
Core i7 5820K
Noctua C14
Corsair LPX DDR4 8GB x 2
Silverstone SX500-LG PSU
ASUS GTX 960 Mini
Samsung 850 EVO

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I contacted ASRock and they believe it's a motherboard issue and want me to RMA it. I'm pretty close to doing just that, but since I have a few hours of work to look forward to getting my Noctua C14 uninstalled (and then reinstalled when the motherboard comes back) and the motherboard removed and packaged, I'm holding on for any chance it could be something else.

I just added the request to the order form to have the narrow ILM specific LGA2011 mounts - simple!

Hey csd, I'm putting together a build pretty similar to yours and I was curious about getting the C14 with the narrow mounts. When I go to Noctua's website I only see link to buy products from other places and no order form to request these additional mounts with the cooler. Did you buy from somewhere specific?

Does anyone know how the Adaptive Voltage setting in the BIOS works?

In 1.40 it's worded "Add voltage to the CPU when the system is under heavy loading."

Yet the range goes from a maximum of 2.0v to a minimum of 0.8v. Pretty sure a +0.8v offset will nuke my CPU.

I'd like to make use of a working adaptive voltage mode as my 5960X seems to have a very low VID and needs tons of offset for OC stability; don't see the need of pumping such a high offset when downclocked/idle.

Order form for LGA2011 mounts

And as stated, remember to add note you need narrow ILM.

Thanks a ton for this! I will remember to add the notes.

They seem to require a fair amount of proof of purchase of a Noctua cooler, will they provide the narrow ILM mounts for a cooler model which they deem does not officially support narrow LGA 2011-v3?

I'm curious about this as well. I plan on ordering the C14 and was wondering if they would include the brackets after seeing my cooler/motherboard choices from my invoices. I assume they would based on others in the thread.

I am still waiting on reply for my request, but based on others success, I am hopeful.

Submitted mine just a bit ago with invoices from amazon/newegg for the cooler/mobo. I received email confirmation that they received my request and will process my order as soon as possible. :D

Submitted mine just a bit ago with invoices from amazon/newegg for the cooler/mobo. I received email confirmation that they received my request and will process my order as soon as possible. :D

That sounds great. This opens up a whole new space of cooling possibilities for this board.

Does anyone know if the Noctua L12 can be mounted this way too?
(determining from the photos, the RAM clearance seems just on the brink, maybe it'll work if standard modules without heatsinks were used)

Here is the response I was sent regarding the order and compatibility.

Dear William,

many thanks for your request.

The NH-C14 is offically not compatible with the ASRock X99E-itx/ac mainboard. But you can try to mount it with the mounting parts I will send to you. With these parts it is in general possible to mount the cooler on your motherboard. But please not that you have to try it on your own risk.

The parts will be dispatched today, please expect a delivery time of 5-8 working days within Europe and 10-14 working days overseas.

I received my mobo a couple of days ago for $160 after all discounts and so far this is an impressive little board. I picked up a 5820k to pair with it and can't wait to finish the build.

Here is the response I was sent regarding the order and compatibility.

Yep also confirming that it does fit fine, but is just not "officially" approved.

I used the included Dynotron cooler screws to mount mine - three of the screws are easy enough to get to but the one near the GPU and back IO panel is a pain.

I picked up a low profile ratchet screwdriver from Amazon. Hopefully it will make it less painful.

I just finger tightened mine and it holds fine :)

Does anyone know how the Adaptive Voltage setting in the BIOS works?

In 1.40 it's worded "Add voltage to the CPU when the system is under heavy loading."

Yet the range goes from a maximum of 2.0v to a minimum of 0.8v. Pretty sure a +0.8v offset will nuke my CPU.

I'd like to make use of a working adaptive voltage mode as my 5960X seems to have a very low VID and needs tons of offset for OC stability; don't see the need of pumping such a high offset when downclocked/idle.

Oops -- it behaves more-or-less the same as other Adaptive voltage implementations. I just don't like how ASRock worded it.

Anyone else noticed the board overshoots vCore even with LLC on Auto or Level 5 (not sure what the off setting is)? Pretty new to X99 so not sure this is par for the course.

Nice to see Noctua is cooperating by still sending the brackets even though it isn't officially supported.

I received my mobo a couple of days ago for $160 after all discounts and so far this is an impressive little board. I picked up a 5820k to pair with it and can't wait to finish the build.

Same here.

Asrock X99E-itx
Intel 5820(Place Holder until 10core Broadwell E)
2x16GB DDR
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 512GB
6TB HDD
Fury X
35mm thick Asetek CPU Cooler with narrow ILM kit

Open question to all owners :D. When you exit the bios does it 'hang' for minutes before rebooting. I'm sure mine never did originally but it's a while ago and I've only just got round to tinkering ageing :D

YES!

And there's a weird artificial white "bleeding" on the top edge of the monitor after "exiting" the BIOS.

I've also noted it's much slower between POST and Windows 10 start-up.

Not sure if the 950 PRO or latest Windows 10 update might be responsible for this.

This is now resolved by ASRock support - pretty awesome & very rapid response too.

The answer was disabling CSM, but be warned - you turn your system into a UEFI system. For me this meant I had to reinstall windows. no biggy, exspecially as I am now blessed with a 1920x1080 bios :D

Nox

Board seems to be DOA. I spent hours yesterday and today troubleshooting. I guess it will be a little bit longer before my system will be up and running.

This is now resolved by ASRock support - pretty awesome & very rapid response too.

The answer was disabling CSM, but be warned - you turn your system into a UEFI system. For me this meant I had to reinstall windows. no biggy, exspecially as I am now blessed with a 1920x1080 bios :D

Nox
Apologies for being dense -- how do we go about doing that? I've been unable to find CSM options in the BIOS.

are there any glaring issues with this motherboard besides pairing it with the 950 pro?

im pretty tempted to pick this up once funds build up by summer.

That's not an issue, it's a bios setting you need to change.

Nox

Apologies for being dense -- how do we go about doing that? I've been unable to find CSM options in the BIOS.

For just the m.2 the step from Asrock tech support was:

BIOS > Boot > CSM > Launch Storage OpROM Policy > UEFI Only.

They said I should Be disabling CSM completely, which is BIOS > Boot > CSM

If you can't see it, then if BIOS > Boot > Fast Boot is set to “Fast” or “Ultra Fast”, the CSM menu will be hidden and CSM will be disabled.

(Credit to Asrock tech support for that one too)

Nox

Be warned, I needed to reinstall Windows after...

Oh and it will still hang on the first save after disabling CSM. Then after that it's all good :)

Nox

Okay so I got everything installed in my Ncase, everything powers up, but there is no video. I've tried reseating everthing, 1 stick of ram at a time in each slot, clearing cmos, etc. Nothing seems to produce video. What gives?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming

If you board shipped with an older UEFI version, 16GB sticks (non-ECC) won't work until you upgrade it, so you'll unfortunately need to find some smaller ones to upgrade and then swap back to the larger ones.

Back