X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

Anybody using one of these with the new Samsung 950 Pro? Just wanted to make sure there's no compatibility issues before I take the plunge.

The Samsung 950 Pro isn't available yet, it's expected to trickle in next week.

Hi all,

Question for those who are using Noctua NH-C14 with Dynatron bolts. Are there any problems with this kind of setup?

I'm also looking for this type of solution for my build (i7 5820, Corsair 250D case) and top flow cooler would really look nice with Corsair case.

The only problem seems to be installation difficulty due to lack of clearance between the bolts and heatpipes/fin stack.

Hi all,

Question for those who are using Noctua NH-C14 with Dynatron bolts. Are there any problems with this kind of setup?

I'm also looking for this type of solution for my build (i7 5820, Corsair 250D case) and top flow cooler would really look nice with Corsair case.

Wait? This works? What bolts? I want to use the NH-D14.

Hi all,

You need the narrow mounting brackets from Noctua as well. The 140mm bottom fan hits the RAM on the ASRock board, so you have to use a 120mm fan. I found that compressing the springs with some pliers helped give the screws enough "reach" to engage the threads.

It's tedious, but doable. I'm facing the prospect of potentially replacing my motherboard, and I'm dreading having to do it again.

Fair enough. You taking the plunge?
I'm checking availability about 8-10 times a day :eek:
But I'm in Europe and I expect the people in US and Asia will have dibs on the earliest ones. I'm also not using it in this board but in a Asus VII Impact.

Anyone used the asus hyper kit on this mobo yet? Been trying it with Intel 750 and no luck.

Yep, posted my results with it earlier in the thread about my trouble with it before the ASRock was available. Search function. ;)

Anyone test compatibility with the new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSDs?

I remember my Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB M.2 needed an existing upgrade installation on a SATA drive in order to get a clean install of W10 up and running.

Since I don't have any SATA drives and can't keep the Kingston in with the 950 Pro (although I have the HHHL adapter there's only one PCIe slot and no integrated GPU) I'd like to make sure a fresh install is possible.

Alternatively, any experiences with a clean W10 install from the SM951 NVMe?

Last edited:
I just purchased it and should have it early next week. I'll let you guys know how the testing goes.

Anyone test compatibility with the new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSDs?

I remember my Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB M.2 needed an existing upgrade installation on a SATA drive in order to get a clean install of W10 up and running.

Since I don't have any SATA drives and can't keep the Kingston in with the 950 Pro (although I have the HHHL adapter there's only one PCIe slot and no integrated GPU) I'd like to make sure a fresh install is possible.

Alternatively, any experiences with a clean W10 install from the SM951 NVMe?

I just purchased it and should have it early next week. I'll let you guys know how the testing goes.

Sweet, thanks!

Mine should actually be arriving this week but I don't want to go through the hassle of the M.2 shuffle if there are issues (should've just kept my M4 as backup for these situations).

Finally got around to ordering my parts for my Ncase m1 V4..

CPU: 5960x
Mobo: Asrock X99e-itx
Ram: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury 2666mhz DDR4
PSU: Silverstone SFX-L 500w
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9DX i4 (For now)
GPU: Still undecided between Titan X and a 980Ti
SSD: Still undecided on this also

Can't wait to start this build!

I received a reply from Noctua support regard to NH-C14S fan. They said that modifying brackets (use of bolts from supplied cooler) could result in wrong mounting pressure which can further result either in damaged components or increased CPU temperatures.

So, I'm not sure what to do? Go for NH-C14S or rather verified NH-U9DX i4.

I received a reply from Noctua support regard to NH-C14S fan. They said that modifying brackets (use of bolts from supplied cooler) could result in wrong mounting pressure which can further result either in damaged components or increased CPU temperatures.

So, I'm not sure what to do? Go for NH-C14S or rather verified NH-U9DX i4.

No problem with mine - I wouldn't worry too much about:)

So I got the 950 Pro and cloned my old SSD to it. However the bios doesn't seem to see the M2 drive in boot options. Am I missing a configuration setting somewhere? The drive is visible and working in Windows.

It won't show up under M.2 at all. That only shows SATA based devices, not PCIe ones. A proper UEFI installation will only list "Windows Boot Manager" or the likes under the boot options.

Thanks, yeah it doesn't show up under those menus. I was able to set it as the boot device though.

If anyone bought the Asetek narrow ILM retention ring and is willing to sell it to me, let me know!

Bit-tech found a potential foible with X99 and m.2 nVME SSDs:
The issue we had is worth drawing attention to since no faulty components were involved. We use an X99 motherboard for SSD testing, specifically the Asus Rampage V Extreme. However, when we originally tested the SSD 950 Pro drives both were being capped in performance. A later installation of a beta version of the Samsung Magician software revealed that the PCI-E link speed was being limited to 5Gbps, i.e. PCI-E Gen 2.0 instead of Gen 3.0, which the drives need to operate at full speed.
The problem turned out to be something as simple as our overclock settings. We use Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 modules rated at 2,800MHz, and we were using their built in XMP profile for our system's overclock. However, this automatically sets the base clock to 125MHz, which is a requirement when using high frequency memory (i.e. above 2,666MHz) on X99. However, this also affects the speed of other parts of the CPU, not just the cores, and one of those parts is the onboard PCI-E Gen 3.0 controller. In turn, in order to maintain PCI-E stability at this clock, our motherboard was downgrading the PCI-E interfaces to Gen 2.0. You can force the graphics slots back to Gen 3.0, but there's no such option for the M.2 slot, which makes sense since storage devices require perfect stability. We have not been able to confirm exactly how other motherboard manufacturers handle the situation, but it's probably safest to stick to 2,666MHz DDR4 on X99 when using a PCI-E 3.0 storage device. It should also not be a problem on Z170, where the PCI-E controller's clock is separate to the CPU BCLK.

tl;dr If you're using RAM faster than 2,666MHz, you may want to check that the m.2 port is really running at PCIe 3.0 4x speeds.

I did but I want the narrow retention rings quickly and the seller has been unresponsive. I messaged them on Tuesday morning asking about rush delivery and never heard back. I ordered the part Wednesday night and haven't heard back. I left another message so we'll see, hopefully they are just behind this week.

In the mean time, if anyone here has these narrow retention rings I'd really appreciate being able to buy them!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can anyone else with a 950 Pro confirm they are getting the right speeds? Mine seems to be running at almost half of what it should... Have checked that it's running at Gen 3 as per the above.

Any other ideas??

You have to remove the Win10 default ssd driver and install the driver from the Samsung side.

Yep have done that and still getting 50-70% of what I should? Have I gimped it in bios somewhere ?

How high are your temperatures on the ssd? Read it out with crystaldisk! How do you check the performance?

I've checked performance in AS SSD, Crystal Disk Mark, Samsung Magician etc - see below

Samsung%20950Pro%20151116_2.JPG

Open question to all owners :D. When you exit the bios does it 'hang' for minutes before rebooting. I'm sure mine never did originally but it's a while ago and I've only just got round to tinkering ageing :D

Mine seems to hang now, or need a reset when I save/exit. Never used to...
I'm running the latest bios (1.40)

Open question to all owners :D. When you exit the bios does it 'hang' for minutes before rebooting. I'm sure mine never did originally but it's a while ago and I've only just got round to tinkering ageing :D

YES!

And there's a weird artificial white "bleeding" on the top edge of the monitor after "exiting" the BIOS.

I've also noted it's much slower between POST and Windows 10 start-up.

Not sure if the 950 PRO or latest Windows 10 update might be responsible for this.

Just replaced my ssd with a 950 pro, I think that's quite possibly the culprit. And exactly those symptoms too.

Also have 1.40 bios.

Nox

Hmmm I wonder if the 950 is the issue?

What are you getting in AS SSD and Crystal disk mark for your 950s?

Does Samsung Magician show 10Gbps link speed?

Last edited:
I feel like the initial install with W10 on the 950 was zippy after POST.

Not sure if it's actually the 950 rather than the recent W10 update. Unfortunately I went into the BIOS immediately after installing the update, where the BIOS "hung" after saving and exiting and the OS loading has been slow ever since.

Back