X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

Seems 16GB non ECC sticks hitting the market now with Skylake. Anyone doing a build because of this?

ASRock U.2 kit just popped up Newegg! Have now purchased one, so hopefully I'll finally be able to get my SSD working in a few days.

ASRock U.2 kit just popped up Newegg! Have now purchased one, so hopefully I'll finally be able to get my SSD working in a few days.

Excited to hear how this works. I'm about to begin a build with this mobo and I am debating between the Intel NVMe or a Samsung SM951.

Ok so encountered a small hitch with this mobo.

If I install my SM951 (AHCI) into the slot as the only drive connected, the system always bypasses the BIOS and directly tries to boot the SM951 - I can't hit F2 and go into BIOS (UEFI).

Last edited:
Do you have something like Quick Boot or Fast Boot enabled ? Some versions of these will not allow you to boot from anything except the main drive or allow you to enter the UEFI through a key. It will require you to use the OS (Win 8 or above) to boot to the UEFI or reset to defaults if this is the case. This could be found in the manual most likely.

Ok so encountered a small hitch with this mobo.

If I install my SM951 (AHCI) into the slot as the only drive connected, the system always bypasses the BIOS and directly tries to boot the SM951 - I can't hit F2 and go into BIOS (UEFI).
Try a more basic USB keyboard (e.g. a generic dell keyboard rather than a 'gaming' keyboard) in a USB2 slot, or a PS2 keyboard if available. I've seen a few boards that are able to proceed past POST and into boot faster than they can initialise USB devices, particularly on USB3.

Hey guys! Sorry to derail the last few posts...I've been following this thread for awhile now and finally started my build with this board, so I though I'd share it with you. Also want to say thanks to the wonderful information a lot of you figured out. It was a huge help!

Intel Core i7-5960X
Corsair H105 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM (x2)
ASRock X99e-ITX
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400MHz
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Will eventually like to upgrade to something faster and bigger)
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified
Silverstone Strider Gold S 850W
Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX
Noctua NF-A14 PWM (x1)

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/QRiQp

Yes, it's definitely there for that. However, the actual power cord sits in the PSU snug, and the cord is regular thickness so it could be moved over even closer to the side of the case. It's only a couple of mm but those couple of mm count when you try to fit a bigger PSU and a 12in gpu.

I've found the height the plug sits at isn't consistent from one model PSU to another. So a bit of extra clearance is necessary.

Yeah, that is true. I only noted it because Fractal's website doesn't talk about it on the product page where as the Node 304 says something about PSU length and long graphics cards. I know people have removed the bracket on the 304 to fit bigger units, and figured since I haven't seen any reviews of this case online that it might be of use to someone.

I can confirm ASRock's U.2 adapter does in fact work. Why you need that one I haven't a clue. The NVMe configuration menu option only appears when you have an NVMe SSD attached and has no settings, but it is there.

I doubt that NH-D9DX i4 will be quiet enough. Definitely no room to overclock and be quiet. Need the biggest air coolers but then the case has to grow as well. So back to AIO if wanting the smallest case, room to overclock, but pump noise instead... And as you said, potential for leakage.

Sometimes going small just means unnecessary headache. I have often wandered about a Define R5 and X99 ATX mobo and be done with it. Yet, that's not what I really want... Can't stand the thought of a giant case. Or can I? Eternal struggle.

It looks to me like the NH-D9DX i4 is about the only true air cooling option for this board right now. It has the necessary performance and is quiet.
A good AIO will probably still outperform it, but it seemed to handle a 4.2ghz 5930k with ease.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks to me like the NH-D9DX i4 is about the only true air cooling option for this board right now. It has the necessary performance and is quiet.
A good AIO will probably still outperform it, but it seemed to handle a 4.2ghz 5930k with ease.

It seemed to stay around 80-85C at 50% fan speed, for 4.2ghz 5930k. Don't know if that is quiet. Is 19dB quiet? It's just a number, and until you have experienced the cooler itself, you don't know. It uses 92mm fans.

But yes, it doesn't look too bad. Could be worth trying out.

Seems 16GB non ECC sticks hitting the market now with Skylake. Anyone doing a build because of this?

I did and it didn't go too well. Bought the Vengeance® LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14 Memory Kit - Black (CMK32GX4M2A2400C14) and the system doesn't POST with them installed. I'm not the only one with that issue and I'm hoping ASRock will fix this with a BIOS update soon. Pretty much all other ASRock X99 mainboards are compatible with these modules at least according to Corsair's compatibility list.

The NH-C14 would be an alternative too, if you don't shy away from a little modding. You'll need the NM-XFB4 (the leftmost set of brackets) which you should be able to order from Noctua, and the screws from the included Dynatron R24 cooler. It's still a bit tricky to tighten the screws, especially those under the heatpipes.

The NH-C14 would be an alternative too, if you don't shy away from a little modding. You'll need the NM-XFB4 (the leftmost set of brackets) which you should be able to order from Noctua, and the screws from the included Dynatron R24 cooler. It's still a bit tricky to tighten the screws, especially those under the heatpipes.

Hmm, very interesting indeed. I was under the impression that the C14 couldn't do narrow ILM, but if all that is needed is a set of brackets and a bit of elbow grease, it might be worth a try. Here's a shot of someone attaching one of the NM-XFB4s to a cooler. Can you confirm that the C14 works on this board with the brackets?

It does seem like tightening the screws would be quite a chore. Maybe with a small, ultra low-profile screwdriver? I also wonder about the cooling capacity of the C14 on a 140 W cpu in a tiny case. Maybe with 3 x 120 mm fans and a fairly tame OC, or running at stock.

I also wonder about the cooling capacity of the C14 on a 140 W cpu in a tiny case. Maybe with 3 x 120 mm fans and a fairly tame OC, or running at stock.

Way back in 2011 when the NH-C14 was new , it was reviewed by FrostyTech. They test at 85 W and 150 W. Here is a link to that page in the review: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2562&page=5

... and their findings at 150 W:

With a 150W heat load applied by the Intel LGA775/1156 version of FrostyTech's synthetic thermal test platform, the Noctua NH-C14 heatsink maintains an excellent result of 14.1°C over ambient with both its 140mm fans operating at full speed (1200RPM, 46.6dBA noise).

After both the NF-P14 fans were reduced to a speed of 750RPM, the test was run again while heat load was maintained at 150W. In this scenario noise output decreased to 35.1dBA while CPU die temperature only increased to 17.4°C over ambient!

Last edited:
Such a large difference. Makes you wonder about Frosty tech's synthetic thermal test platform, compared to a real CPU. I guess it's what they've used for years and keep using in order to be able to make comparisons between results that are years apart.

SPCR uses Prime95 with 8 threads, so that's probably beyond the TDP spec since it's an unrealistic load. So it doesn't surprise me at all.

Makes you wonder about Frosty tech's synthetic thermal test platform, compared to a real CPU.
It;s tricky. A synthetic load is consistent across all tests, so you can compare all tested heatsinks directly. But it only measures thermal performance in an absolute sense: an actual CPU has physical contact area and other weird quirks (e.g. the initial Haswells having too large a gap between die and heatspreader), so a real-wrld test will tell how well a given heatsink cools a given CPU under a given load (but ONLY that CPU under ONLY that load).

Hmm, very interesting indeed. I was under the impression that the C14 couldn't do narrow ILM, but if all that is needed is a set of brackets and a bit of elbow grease, it might be worth a try. Here's a shot of someone attaching one of the NM-XFB4s to a cooler. Can you confirm that the C14 works on this board with the brackets?

It does seem like tightening the screws would be quite a chore. Maybe with a small, ultra low-profile screwdriver? I also wonder about the cooling capacity of the C14 on a 140 W cpu in a tiny case. Maybe with 3 x 120 mm fans and a fairly tame OC, or running at stock.

I've got a C14 and narrow ILM brackets on their way for my X99e and 5960x - I let you know how it goes:)

With a 150W heat load applied by the Intel LGA775/1156 version of FrostyTech's synthetic thermal test platform, the Noctua NH-C14 heatsink maintains an excellent result of 14.1°C over ambient with both its 140mm fans operating at full speed (1200RPM, 46.6dBA noise).

This would be awesome, but getting both fans on the cooler on this board in a small case might be a challenge. I'm running my C14 on a mini ITX Z77 board in an NCASE M1 now, and clearance issues only let me use the top 140 mm fan ("high clearance mode"), enough for my 95 W CPU at stock, but an overclocked 140 W chip would be asking a lot. Some combination of multiple smaller (120 mm) fans might offer similar cooling performance on a 2011 processor to the 2 x 140 mm fan setup and solve the clearance problems, but without actual fitment and performance data, it is hard to say.

I've got a C14 and narrow ILM brackets on their way for my X99e and 5960x - I let you know how it goes:)

Please do! One of the reasons I've been holding off on jumping to this board has been the acrobatics needed with cooling solutions. If cooling a 5XXX processor on this board with a C14 or similar air solution is possible, that would be a huge win in my opinion. Opening up additional headroom for overclocks would just be icing on the cake.

Anyone know if the included bracket would be compatible with a H220 or Glacer 240L? Thinking about picking this up.

If not I guess I'll go with the H100i GTX. Is the Asetek narrow kit necessary or could the stock bracket suffice?

Last edited:
Anyone know if the included bracket would be compatible with a H220 or Glacer 240L? Thinking about picking this up.

If not I guess I'll go with the H100i GTX. Is the Asetek narrow kit necessary or could the stock bracket suffice?

Not sure on the H220 or Glacier 240L but the H100i won't fit with the Asetek Narrow ILM ring. The Asetek is only good for round coolers and the H100i GTX is of the square-ish shape kind. The included board provided one may work though with some tweaking, similar to the H80i

Not sure on the H220 or Glacier 240L but the H100i won't fit with the Asetek Narrow ILM ring. The Asetek is only good for round coolers and the H100i GTX is of the square-ish shape kind. The included board provided one may work though with some tweaking, similar to the H80i

Re: H100i GTX and Asetek one, the ebay listing just says "this kit is for attaching all Asetek sealed liquid cooling systems to Intel 2011 NARROW sockets only" and someone mentioned using it with the H100i GTX on this board.

Looks like the H100i GTX is round where it counts: http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/water_cooling/h100i GTX/mfg.jpg

But yeah, I'd rather use a H220 equivalent with the stock mounting bracket if possible.

Re: H100i GTX and Asetek one, the ebay listing just says "this kit is for attaching all Asetek sealed liquid cooling systems to Intel 2011 NARROW sockets only" and someone mentioned using it with the H100i GTX on this board.

Looks like the H100i GTX is round where it counts: http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/water_cooling/h100i GTX/mfg.jpg

But yeah, I'd rather use a H220 equivalent with the stock mounting bracket if possible.

Well then, I stand corrected. That's good to know!

what's the word on heat and power consumption on this? I sort of wanted to stay air-cooled either w/ the included heatsink or an equivalent Noctua low profile, and with the ST45-G PSU...

what's the word on heat and power consumption on this? I sort of wanted to stay air-cooled either w/ the included heatsink or an equivalent Noctua low profile, and with the ST45-G PSU...

Depends on your CPU.

I'm temporarily using the included Dynatron cooler while I was for my Noctua ILM bracket to arrive (and WCing following).

I've redone the fan curve to try and make it was quiet as practical and my 5960X idles at 37 and 65 under heavy load.

Going to build this into ncase m1 with 130w tdp xeon. Now onto the cooler, basically want the very quiestest possible and not sure about the h100 which seems to be a bit louder than I'd like looking at reports.

Case can only fit 240mm rad max as well. Wonder if air cooling would be better?

Looks like ASRock has provided me with a newer UEFI that apparently fixes this (version 1.35). My board decided to die not long after making my last post however when I was testing 32GB DIMMs, so I'm waiting on a replacement from newegg and will test it then. Can provide it to anyone that would like to test it prior to that as well.

Blue Fox, I've got 2x16GB DIMMs and unable to post the X99e. I read that version 1.35 BIOS should fix the problem but have been waiting on asrock to send it to me for the past few days. Would be fantastic if you can send that baby over! (I've borrowed a 8GB DIMM so I can flash the BIOS, but will have to return it soon).

I'd highly suggest using a noctua u9s heatsink with this, it's probably the most silent non water based cooler you can get that's silent and compact, and that actually keeps the system cool.

Blue Fox, I've got 2x16GB DIMMs and unable to post the X99e. I read that version 1.35 BIOS should fix the problem but have been waiting on asrock to send it to me for the past few days. Would be fantastic if you can send that baby over! (I've borrowed a 8GB DIMM so I can flash the BIOS, but will have to return it soon).
Here you go: http://drunkencat.net/misc/X99EITX(L1.35)ROM.zip

Would like to mention that I was able to get 16GB DIMMs working on 1.20, but mine are ECC registered. Guessing yours aren't. Hope it works for you.

Hey csd, which mounting brackets do you use? I haven't been able to find a kit that does make a c14 fit the narrow ILM, are they made by noctua or a third-party manufacturer?

2. And there is noway to use Corsair Link.

Missed this. Why is this the case?

I thought Corsair Link only needed a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard?

If there's no Corsair Link I might rather use the Glacer 240L but I'm not sure how it'd mount (even though the pump/block head unit is the same 62mmx62mm as the Seidon 120V's).

Hey csd, which mounting brackets do you use? I haven't been able to find a kit that does make a c14 fit the narrow ILM, are they made by noctua or a third-party manufacturer?

I haven't got them yet but ordered the Noctua ILM brackets (both sets) that come with their narrow ILM coolers. They all work off the same secure mount system so should be no issue with installing... I hope;)

I'll update the thread once I've received them

Zurec, below is from a post by Xandr a couple of weeks ago. I'm guessing these are the brackets that csd is using (please correct me if I am mistaken). Can't find a dedicated page for the kit, so you'd likely just have to contact Noctua to order directly. If the installation of the C14 is not too onerous and it can provide better cooling to a 2011 processor in the narrow socket than the other, smaller coolers, this could be exciting.

I haven't got them yet but ordered the Noctua ILM brackets (both sets) that come with their narrow ILM coolers. They all work off the same secure mount system so should be no issue with installing... I hope;)

I'll update the thread once I've received them

Good luck!

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&lng=en&products_id=66#3
Can Noctua coolers be installed on LGA2011 Narrow ILM platforms?
The NH-U12DX i4, NH-D9DX i4 3U and NH-U9DX i4 include mounting hardware for LGA2011 Narrow ILM. Other models are mechanically incompatible with the Narrow ILM mounting system and can thus not be used on this platform.

Back