X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

As i mentioned earlier in this thread, the EKWB Supremacy will fit with their narrow ILM adapter-plate. But it seems like the only option regarding watercooling, no AIO known to me will fit the narrow socket.

One will have to go with a small pump/reservoir combo or even reservoir/radiator mix in the smallest itx cases.

What do you guys think?

Are any manufacturer's besides Asrock going to make this happen??

I have dreams for m-itx & 8-cores!

Come on Asus & Gigabyte!!

:cool: It's pretty neat for sure.

This website refers to rumors of another manufacturer working on the same x99 mini concept, so perhaps we'll even get a standard square ILM mini board from a different manufacturer? Or 4 RAM slots? :eek:

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, which of the Noctua narrow ILM's (assuming no space concerns) is best for cooling with 2 fans installed on each as push/pull?

NH-U12DX i4
NH-U9DX i4
NH-D9DX i4 3U

The U12 seems to have a smaller heatsink but can hold 2 140mm fans in push/pull.
The U9 has a larger heatsink but has 2 92mm fans in push/pull.
The D9 has a 92mm between the 2 heatsinks and can hold another fan on either side it looks like. This one seems a bit weird to me design-wise but I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject.

Anybody have any insight as to which of these given 0 space concerns is most effective? Thanks again

In terms of effectiveness, NH-U12DX i4 with push-pull NF-F12's would be better. So much better, it would be in a different league even...

RAM clearance might be an issue with these Noctua DX coolers.

RAM clearance might be an issue with these Noctua DX coolers.

Might have to use RAM with short heat-spreaders, and/or move the fans up on the heatsink a bit.

In terms of effectiveness, NH-U12DX i4 with push-pull NF-F12's would be better. So much better, it would be in a different league even...

Ooo, perhaps close enough to the NH-D14 league to do some decent overclocking? :eek:

German site hardwareluxx.de has new info on pricing and availability: Price will be 240€, and it should be in stock by the end of april. That translates to something around 250$, and it may be sold a few days earlier in the US.

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...srock-x99e-itxac-auf-das-mini-itx-format.html

Not too bad on the price, about the same as the Maximus Impact. We should know by end of April whether or not any other manufacturers are stepping up to the plate also.

This cooler doesn't look too bad. From the image I thought it would've been smaller. The fan looks like 60mm rather than 40mm I thought it would be. Not bad at all. Hope it's silent enought.

img-1-950x534.jpg

This cooler doesn't look too bad. From the image I thought it would've been smaller. The fan looks like 60mm rather than 40mm I thought it would be. Not bad at all. Hope it's silent enought.

img-1-950x534.jpg

Thats because it is rendered smaller on the package and the production images. The proportion between board, antenna and cooler dont match.

While the block looks big enough, (the fins seem to be quite dense, too) the fan looks like it is going to be loud. Maybe im wrong, but most fans that look like a turbine sound like one.

I wasn't talking about the render on the package but the images outside and it just felt to me like its 40mm fan there.

As long as the heatsink itself is adequate, a more preferable fan can be ducted on.

Yeah I won't believe it's not possible to get this board fitted with SODIMMs.

Actually, it is sad that it iss ASRock that debuts the first X99 mITX board with two full-width DIMMs when they were the first with a Z87 mITX board with SODIMMs:

Image_29S.jpg

Although that layout is burdened with too many crap on the top side of the PCB, a daughterboard or two would allow it I would guess.

I'd like to see more products like this but it takes ages for manufacturers to come up with something fresh and good.

It would be nice to see some new pro-gaming itx-like form factors though.

Like for example miniTX like with another, but horizontal PCI-E on opposite side of the board allowing designed to support steam machine like and AIO configurations with support of GPU without risers.

BTW: The cooler shipped with the board looks to be Dynatron R24
http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=&id=260&in=0

Yeah I won't believe it's not possible to get this board fitted with SODIMMs.

Actually, it is sad that it iss ASRock that debuts the first X99 mITX board with two full-width DIMMs when they were the first with a Z87 mITX board with SODIMMs:
Other board manufacturers have been using SODIMMs on MITX boards for awhile so it's nothing new.

I didn't say it was new, but I also don't think thin miniITX boards with two horizontal SODIMM sockets matter towards the question that was proposed: "is quad-channel possible with four vertical SODIMM slots ?"

Ooo, perhaps close enough to the NH-D14 league to do some decent overclocking? :eek:

With push-pull, U12 should match NH-U14 (with single fan) and be close to NH-D14 at stock clocks (<~140W). For high OC though, U14 (especially with push-pull) and D14 would show their potency. It's about heatpipes and heatsink mass when the heat load becomes high (>~160W).

BTW: The cooler shipped with the board looks to be Dynatron R24
http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=&id=260&in=0

Yeah, that seems to be the cooler. The heatsink is not bad at all (4x6mm direct contact heatpipes, 400g mass) but the fan is a screamer (up to 7000rpm, 47.5dBA).

However, one may attach one or two Noctua NF-A6x25's to silence it down (the second fan would be sitting on top of the IO at the back). It should do fine with very mild overclocks at stock voltage.

Edit: They should have included this one instead: http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=1-4-298&id=265&in=0

Last edited:
By the way if you are searching for an alternate cooler the Dynatron T318 can handle up to 165W http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=1-4-298&id=256&in=0

The price is also very fair with arround 30&#8364;.

Furthermore the T318 is very thin so the board could fit with it and a Noctua A9x14 in very small cases.

That sounds like a good plan but the specs sheet state "up to 135W" :confused:
http://www.dynatron-corp.com/upload/Downloads/T318.pdf

Same here: http://dynatron.en.alibaba.com/prod..._2011_for_1U_CPU_Cooler_Copper_Heatsink.html#!

Ok seems that the specs on the productpage is wrong. But 135W is also ok.

If we are talking about this platform - what's the most optimum choice for the CPU here? I mean something like the cheapest 8 core xeon but with significant amount of boost versus 1150 i7's?

I'd place my bet on Xeon E5-2640 v3 which is 95W, 8c/16t, 2.6/3.4Ghz for around $940?
Is there anything else worth noting?

the E5-2680V3 is looking so interesting, im also thinking of ditching the SG05 and getting a FT03 mini for this build, this is getting pretty crazy, its been a looong time since i was this exited for a new build, since 2010 actually :)

Yeah, 12 core looks interesting but I don't think I would go for a $2000 cpu for my home rig. $950 on E5-2640 v3 is already almost 3x the cost on 4790K v3 which is $320 and that's excluding the board price. And all that is for just for 40% more power according to passmark

It compares closely to 5860x - 50% more performance for $1080

My whole point is - is having this board without quad channel and sli/crossfire really worth it?

The only real advantages here would be the DDR4 and sata express.

Why would you buy it when broadwell for desktops just around the corner and we're still got to see how's the performance on those.

If you need to be excited for a hobby by throwing massive amounts of cash at it, get a different hobby. It will only escalate more.

I agree with SaperPL: this isn't the board we are looking for. 4 DIMM sockets and more than one PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 sockets or a couple of (ridiculously large) SATA Express connectors, are what this board needs. Personally I'd be all over the mini-DTX board Necere suggested as I would very much like the option of installing a 10Gbit network card or a PCIe SSD card.

This board is a good step, maybe it will eventually lead to more. But right now I'm inclined to to upgrade because for single-GPU gaming it's a complete waste of money. Only some more workstation- and server-like use cases can really benefit from it, seeying as the very limited cooling options will not make it a quiet build or be worth the difference over a S1150 Core i7. And with those types of builds, a well-designed mATX build will be competing for many factors.

The only real use for this board I can think of would be a workstation for a programmer doing massive builds like game engine code or someone rendering cgi on software that doesn't have gpgpu support yet and have loads of cash to spend on 16 or 18 core processor.

I'm still hoping for future ITX boards bringing us 4 full size dimm memory slots

Well, it has the following going for it I guess:

-Only DDR4 compatible mITX board (albeit, dual channel)
-Only mITX board that can use the i7-5820k/5960x 6/8 core CPUs, which may be more beneficial to gaming when DX12 is released.

So this is a bit off-topic, but maybe not.
I've kind of gotten into encoding ( or rather re-encoding) my old videos to x265 (aka HEVC), which saves tons of space and keeps the quality pretty decent. It is however painfully slow, like 8fps average slow.
That is with my Q2Q Q8200.
So I've been wondering, how much would I gain if I went with X99? Not compared to what I have right now, but to what I might get (lga1150/51 i7/Xeon e3) in encoding?
tl;dr how does an i7 5930k(?) -the relatively cheap 6 core- compare to the "mainstream" i7/Xeon in encoding? (all at stock clocks)

Having more actual cores will be VERY beneficial for encoding with x265 (which IIRC, like x264, has no GPU acceleration because they couldn't find anything that could be efficiently offloaded without losses elsewhere). Video encoding is one of the few applications where adding more cores gives an immediate and proportional performance increase.
With the same architecture and clock speed, a 6-core CPU will give you a 1.5x performance boost over a 4-core CPU. Clock speed makes things fuzzier. Anandtech have a nice comparison of encoding speeds including the i7-5930k and a few 1150 CPUs, as well as some of the cheaper (and more expensive) 2011s.

Last edited:
Having more actual cores will be VERY beneficial for encoding with x265 (which IIRC, like x264, has no GPU acceleration because they couldn't find anything that could be efficiently offloaded without losses elsewhere). Video encoding is one of the few applications where adding more cores gives an immediate and proportional performance increase.
With the same architecture and clock speed, a 6-core CPU will give you a 1.5x performance boost over a 4-core CPU. Clock speed makes things fuzzier. Anandtech have a nice comparison of encoding speeds[/i] including the i7-5930k and a few 1150 CPUs, as well as some of the cheaper (and more expensive) 2011s.

Awesome! Thank you very much! :D
My mouth loves you, but my wallet hates you :p

Edit: It seems I mistyped the model of the CPU I was looking into, it's the 5820k. Whic strangely seems to have near-identical/sometime slightly-slower performance to the 4790k. :(
I don't see the advantage of having 6 cores anymore, I mean I probably won't be able to overclock it especially in an A4-SFX :(

Edit: ok it seems to get ~6.5fps advantage at 4k, but does that justify the increase in the price?

Last edited:
bah, i'll do things my way, as usual. you guys suck.

@Black5Lion: a fellow 10 bit encoder uh? yep, this is the shit, i'm sick and tired of these pussy 4 core cpus (like my current 4770s) ;)

you guys buying an X99 mini itx motherboard, go for PC master race style and build it with an i7 5960X and the Titan X and post us your benchmark results for the win!

Hopefully this board will support RDIMMs like Asrock's other X99 boards. That would alleviate the memory constraints, leaving only the very few edge-cases where dual-channel vs. quad-channel makes a measurable difference.

This really is a tempting board depending on what desktop Broadwell offers in terms of IPC. With DX12 and Vulkan being geared towards taking advantage of extra cores to push more drawcalls, a hexacore might actually be worth it.

@Black5Lion: a fellow 10 bit encoder uh? yep, this is the shit,
Hi10P one true profile, CRF one true quality parameter. None of this target filesize two-pass nonsense. Though it would be nice if Fraunhofer's back-compat bit-depth SVC proposal were incorporated into the standard to speed Hi10P uptake without having to worry about legacy fixed-function decoders being made obsolete.

the E5-2680V3 is looking so interesting, im also thinking of ditching the SG05 and getting a FT03 mini for this build, this is getting pretty crazy, its been a looong time since i was this exited for a new build, since 2010 actually :)

For that price I'd rather have the 8-core 1680v3 at 3.2Ghz :)
There's also some more affordable 4 and 6 core ones. These are very closely related to the extreme i7's on LGA2011v3.
See ark.intel.com.
<edit>
Link now includes all i7's and Xeon's with 6+ cores that fit LGA2011v3, sorted by core count, then frequency. Decided for completeness to also include the high core count parts (up to 18 cores), although they are way out of my price range. With the xeon's you will be able to use RDIMMs, they support up to 128GB of memory in 2 slots if you really need to (and can afford 64GB LRDIMMs!).
The E5-1600's seem to have a small edge in frequency on the i7's
</edit>

Last edited:
For that price I'd rather have the 8-core 1680v3 at 3.2Ghz :)
There's also some more affordable 4 and 6 core ones. These are very closely related to the extreme i7's on LGA2011v3.
See ark.intel.com.
<edit>
Link now includes all i7's and Xeon's with 6+ cores that fit LGA2011v3, sorted by core count, then frequency. Decided for completeness to also include the high core count parts (up to 18 cores), although they are way out of my price range. With the xeon's you will be able to use RDIMMs, they support up to 128GB of memory in 2 slots if you really need to (and can afford 64GB LRDIMMs!).
The E5-1600's seem to have a small edge in frequency on the i7's
</edit>

thats a great list, bookmarked, thanks. one reason for the E5-2680V3 (besides the number of cores) was the 120w 2.5/3.3ghz profile but seeing this list i may have my doubts. this build will require some carefully planning but is not like im in a hurry :p

Hi10P one true profile, CRF one true quality parameter. None of this target filesize two-pass nonsense. Though it would be nice if Fraunhofer's back-compat bit-depth SVC proposal were incorporated into the standard to speed Hi10P uptake without having to worry about legacy fixed-function decoders being made obsolete.

i only use constant rate. target filesize is for people who burn shit which defeats the point of encoding stuff since storage is so cheap these days.. for audio i use flac or i convert to aac when flac is not possible or worth the size, it has a nice quality/size ratio.

you guys buying an X99 mini itx motherboard, go for PC master race style and build it with an i7 5960X and the Titan X and post us your benchmark results for the win!

Part of me wants to do just that on this board, but given the lack of AIO cooling options for the narrow ILM and considering the Titan X runs rather hot and loud to begin with on air, I'm rather concerned.

But man, being able to stick those components in a Corsair 380t or something and then be able to move it into the living room or downstairs easily to game on a 4k 70+ incher is super appealing.

If you can afford a Titan X and a 5960X, you can afford the miniscule cost to have someone lasercut a simple mounting plate for an AOI.

If you can afford a Titan X and a 5960X, you can afford the miniscule cost to have someone lasercut a simple mounting plate for an AOI.

5960x might be overkill at 1k, but the 5820 seems like a great buy for some better encoding/streaming/possible dx12 benefits in the not-too distant future.

Titan X at 1k seems pricey at first glance, but considering its a single card capable of 60 fps 4k ultra settings on modern games, I'd wager it's an excellent future-proofing investment. Even if HBM and other tech advancements outclass it within 1-2 years, I don't see myself gaming on anything beyond 4k over the next 5 years anyway.

As to the custom laser-cut mount, I wouldn't know where to look or start. EK makes a narrow ilm mount for their water block, but no idea if it would be compatible with something like an H100i (prob not I assume).

If I could walk into Best Buy or something to have that done sure, but beyond that I'd need some sort of recommendation for a reputable seller of something like that.

Back