X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by Phuncz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

Haha, musta got lost in all my tabs. *Fixed*!

2. lukedriftwood

lukedriftwood n00b

i7 CPUs can support up to 2x16GB ECC UDIMM RAM on Asrock X99 (operate in non-ECC mode), beyond that capacity all ECC RAMs are registered RDIMM which do not work with i7.

So for now i7 CPUs only work with maximum 32GB RAM, ECC or not. However I've heard very recently there's a 32GB single stick DDR4 RAM coming out.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  3. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

Not sure I follow as both examples used Registered RAM. Are you saying neither should have worked? Or, because one was 1x32GB, the other 2x16GB, they are at the maximum configuration?

4. lukedriftwood

lukedriftwood n00b

If you dig deeper and look closely, the Samsung 32GB and Kingston 2x16GB ECC RAMs you quoted are actually all unbuffered/unregistered.

Registered RAM simply do not work with desktop CPU at all.

5. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

6. lukedriftwood

lukedriftwood n00b

Hermit2001 likes this.
  7. sdfewfe

sdfewfe [H]Lite

Just to point out that the Xeon E5-1600 family are essentially the same as the i7s, but with ECC and RDIMM support. I think they are even supposed to be multiplier unlocked. So If someone really needs more RAM, then these might be worth considering.

8. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

Jeez, thats worrying that the Manufacturer hasn't corrected the listing, but it has only been 11days-CORRECTION: they have commented twice more in 2016 on this part incorrectly asserting that it is Registered. I've checked another Kingston listing and that spec definitely is Registered (http://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk...1R15D4/16&category_id=0&description=1&model=1)
    So that leaves one wondering just what they are actually selling!?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  9. estrangeiro14

estrangeiro14 n00b

Hi guys. I'm planning a build with this board and the only thing that is left to decide is the RAM.
    I will be using a 5820K cooled by the Noctua NH-U9DX i4. With this cooler I think I need to get RAM that is no higher than 33 ou 34 mm, as I will be using the cooler horizontally.

Now, the question that I have is related to frequency and timings. I would like to get 2 sticks of 8GB each that are between 2400 and (maybe) 3000MHz and with low latency (max CL15).
    I've found some kits that meet this requirement (link to some) but none of them are listed as compatible in the Asrock memory support list.

Should I buy and try to see if they work?

10. Vittra

Vittra Gawd

Stick with 2400 - 2666 max if you want to be safe. Anything above that is a potential risk as Haswell-E's IMC is weak and leads to incompatibility or - in extreme cases - IMC failure. Broadwell-E's IMC appears to be quite a bit more robust by comparison.

estrangeiro14 likes this.
  11. batmanwcm

batmanwcm Gawd

I just upgraded to a 960 EVO but I'm not getting the performance that I was expecting. My read speeds are 2249 MB/s and writes speeds are 1492 MB/s. I should be getting 3200 MB/s read speeds. I already upgraded to the latest UEFI/Bios. I checked Samsung Magician and I am running at PCIe Gen 3x4 so what gives?

12. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

I have a 960evo 512gb and I ran the magician software after a few months of not running it and I got reads of 2043 and writes of 1604 after running it a few times

You piqued my interest since I thought mine used to be higher. However, I noticed my 960evos firmware was out of date. After updating to the latest though the magician software I got these results:

Read: 2419
    Write: 1636

The 2nd time I ran it I scored below 2000 on the reads... This continued for the next few runs. Not sure what the issue is either.

13. batmanwcm

batmanwcm Gawd

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm up to date with the firmware so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

14. w1retap

w1retap [H]ardForum Junkie

Just a notification for this thread: Newegg has the Asrock x99e-ITX/ac for $209.99 AR right now.. sale ends on 3/31/17.

Neapolitan6th likes this.
  15. AP2

AP2 [H]ard|Gawd

If anyone needs a like new Dynatron T318 copper CPU cooler, I have one for sale. 20 bucks plus shipping.

16. Nox

Nox [H]Lite

just updated from bios 3.4 to 3.6 and my XMP DRAM profile is no longer stable :( has anyone else had this?

17. squeek88

squeek88 n00b

Why u selling this cooler, it's awesome. I have it with a delta AFC0712DB sitting on top in a inwin 656 with X99e-itx and a 12 core Xeon. Copper is the only thing that can wick the heat away fast enough for insta loads. This cooler is the only thing in the world that makes my build work.

I think I paid $27 for it shipped so $20 is a good price if no dents.

What? There are i3 that support ECC configurations for a good reason. I'm running micron MTA18ASF1G72PZ-2G1A2 and I'm sure that's registered. My view is all CPUs should have ecc capability in this age of always on tablet computing and any downtime/reboot sucks azz, but it depends on the motherboard whether those features can be used. So if something goes wrong, you're almost sure it's not going to be the ram that's causing problems. There are so many things that can go wrong, eliminating as many variables as possible helps you from going insane. Also ecc ram works better with registered ram especially for large amounts of ram unless you want your weak haswell IMC to get hammered even more. ECC ram is also more robust to rowhammer attacks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  18. xSneak

xSneak Limp Gawd

So if I get a narrow ilm mounting bracket for 2011 from noctua, i can use my nh-d15s with this motherboard? Would it block the pcie port?

19. verytiny

verytiny n00b

how will the nh-c14s fit onto this motherboard?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  20. verytiny

verytiny n00b

it wouldn't block the pcie port, but it wouldn't be able to fit in a case
    [​IMG]

xSneak likes this.
  21. xSneak

xSneak Limp Gawd

Ok thanks. I'm just gonna go with a ryzen itx build.

22. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Guys, I am trying to mount the original Noctua C14 on my X99E-itx/ac board. I got the Noctua narrow ILM kit, but the screws don't clear 2 of the heatpipes, as people found out earlier in the thread. Luckily, the spring-loaded screws from the included Dynatron R24 cooler fit! Unfortunately, when I moved continents, I ditched all inessential weight, which included that cooler. And it didn't occur to me at the time to save the screws.

Long story short, if someone here has their Dynatron cooler and doesn't intend to use it, I will pay you $20 for its 4 mounting screws, including shipping. I live in the UK, but shipping shouldn't be more than $5 with the cheapest option. If you're interested, PM me.

23. exhale

exhale n00b

Has anybody managed to fit a be quiet cooler on this board yet? Looking to get a Dark Rock TF.

24. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

I actually bought a TF for mine. Its still sitting nicely in its box.. Just never really decided to give it the propper effort to make it work. I'm all ears for anyone with suggestions on how to approach a reasonable solution to this.

25. exhale

exhale n00b

I've modeled a bracket to make it fit. I've only based my measurements from online images and forums so before I get it made I'm waiting for my TF to arrive. Happy to share the file if it works.

26. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Oh that would be wonderful! I've been using a small tower cooler in the meantime, but my vrms would really do well with some top down cooling. Best of luck, hope all goes well!

27. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I have a Dark Rock TF on a Gigabyte Z170 m-itx, it is a really good cooler but it is also really big. I can see one big problem on the Asrock X99, how close the socket is to the ram slots.

[​IMG]

If you mount with the heat pipes in this or 90 degree orientation the heat pipes are probably not going to able to clear the ram.

[​IMG]

If mounted like this the lower heat sink will be the problem.

I wish you luck but I think you just don't have enough clearance with that motherboard.

28. exhale

exhale n00b

Cheers for the pictures.

So there's 4 orientations to choose from and from my drawings only one scenario is possible. Two are immediately disqualified, as you say, by the lower heat sink covering one of the RAM slots. Facing the heatpipes down gives me plenty of clearance for my GPU but unfortunately looks like it would still make contact with the top panel of my NCase.

That leaves me with the last orientation, heatpipes facing up, which looks totally fine besides the fact that I might need to remove the backplate on the GPU, but we'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
    The only "perfect" solution, to make it fit super cleanly, would be to bend the upper heat sink back on itself, toward the 6 heatpipes, thus centering the cooler. This would only be a last resort but I'm confident that's a possibility as well. The only other way would be removing a RAM stick or changing to a less height restricting ITX case, both of which I am not doing.

I won't be attempting anything until all my aircooling parts arrive and the bracket is made - as my system is currently on water.

29. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Any word on if your brackets ended up working?

30. rozjan

rozjan n00b

Hello, anyone here is using this board with a PCI riser? I'm having issues with a DeepCool one: precisely Whea Logger Event 17 even with PCE GEN 2 from BIOS...

31. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Hmm I plan to in the future. I know risers can be pretty finicky depending on the model. Best of luck

32. AP2

AP2 [H]ard|Gawd

When I had this board in my S4 Mini chassis, i never had any issues with the NFC Riser (made by HDPlex). I can't remember the BIOS option i used though :(

33. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

Still have this issue? I just bought the 500GB Evo since it is $200 at Microcenter. About to install it, so Ill check once I do.

34. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

I am getting 3200 Read, and 1600 write. It is half full though.

35. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

My x99 is still going strong after 2 years. I have updated the 980Ti to a Titan Xp inside a SG13 case on water.
    Might be time for a x299 itx build but its hard to part with a 5960x.

36. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

I'm sure there are some of us on X99 who would gladly upgrade to your 5960x :p

37. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

Yea I am monitoring prices. It’s hard to justify getting x299 since I just built the x99 in January. As soon as I can get the 2699 v5 for 2k on eBay I’ll probably do it.

38. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Yeah I would have probably jumped on X299 if not for my X99 system I built a year ago (black friday spending habits) I can almost stomach the price of Asrock's new ITX board just because how cool it is. Almost

D10S and workshop35 like this.
  39. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

Yea, 4 ram slots instead of 2, more M.2 drives. The price of the MB is inconsequential to the price of the CPUs to me.

40. CybKnight

CybKnight [H]Lite

Did anyone test out the new 3.70 BIOS yet? I just wonder if it still have bitfurcation included, or if we need to ask for a new beta BIOS.