X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

Do the new E5 v4 Xeons work on this motherboard? I'm looking at something like the E5-2630 or 2640.

Sort of wondering, are they going to release E5-16xx V4's? or are the V3's all we are getting for now.....

Sort of wondering, are they going to release E5-16xx V4's? or are the V3's all we are getting for now.....

The E5-16xx V4's will probably come with the Core i7 extreme chips in June.

They should with an update to the latest 3.10 BIOS!

This is a very freshly installed E5 2699 V4 Engineering Sample with 3.11 Beta BIOS (because it has turbo improvements) with a few of the usual performance measurers in play.

CPUID1.JPG CPUID2.JPG Geekbench3.JPG

Last edited:
Hi guys, sorry if this has been answered before but I will be picking up this motherboard (Asrock x99e mITX) with my new Ncase m1. I know every page of this thread has a user stating what cooler they used; Is there a compiled list or way the "100% compatible" air + AIO coolers could be stickied on the main thread?

I'm looking for a good air cooler or AIO that can atleast get me my 4.5ghz /1.300v overclock on my i7 5820k that I currently use but without modding, so I suppose it would have to be "narrow ILM" compatible or have some bracket (I'm also using corsair vengeance LPX 16gb ram if that helps).

It seems the Seidon 120v fits, the Noctua NH-U9DXi4, and ...... I have no idea what else..... I heard the Corsair h100i can use the provided water cooling bracket for ILM narrow that asrock provides, but apparently the tubing is too stiff to fit in the Ncase m1.

Let me know please!

I heard the Corsair h100i can use the provided water cooling bracket for ILM narrow that asrock provides, but apparently the tubing is too stiff to fit in the Ncase m1.

Let me know please!

The original Corsair h100i fits in the M1. The newest one does not due to its stiffer tubing.

Noctua will provide the narrow ILM mounting adapter for their heatsinks that don't come with it, like the discontinued NH-C14. You just fill out a form and send proof of ownership of you Noctua heatsink and your motherboard.

Hello,

Which version of the intel INF driver are you using?

Do you know a procedure to upgrade them without doing a mess?

Do any of you guys know if the Noctua U12dhxi4 will fit and clear the RAM on the asrock x99e ITX? I plan to put it in the Ncase m1.

I know the u9dxi4 fits, but the u12 has 120mm fans vs. The 92mm of the u9dxi4.

Also, are there any better performing coolers than this? I really want to hit 4.5ghz which I can do now @1.275v in my mATX fractal node 804 which has a corsair h100i v2.

Do any of you guys know if the Noctua U12dhxi4 will fit and clear the RAM on the asrock x99e ITX? I plan to put it in the Ncase m1.

I know the u9dxi4 fits, but the u12 has 120mm fans vs. The 92mm of the u9dxi4.

Also, are there any better performing coolers than this? I really want to hit 4.5ghz which I can do now @1.275v in my mATX fractal node 804 which has a corsair h100i v2.

The Fractal Design Node 804 has a stated CPU cooler height limit of 160 mm. The Noctua NH-U12DX i4 specifiactions state that it is 158 mm tall, so this parameter is acceptable. This cooler ships with one NF-F12 120 mm x 25 mm fan. The depth of the cooler with one fan mounted is 71 mm (wiyhout a fan the depth is only 45 mm). In comparison, the NH-U9DX i4 has a depth of 71 mm with no fans, 95 mm with one fan (NF-B9 PWM), and 120 mm with two fans. The installation Manual for both heatsinks seems to indicate that their heatpipe and fins assemblies are both centered over the CPU socket so the larger, but narrow NH-U12DX i4 should fit where ever the NH-U9DX i4 can, so long as there is adequate height, which there is for your case.

Note: the NH-U12DX i4 comes with a second set of fan clips (total depth would then be 95 mm), but you must buy the second fan separately. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Best answer yet, buy a bios chip :). They are easy to replace, just need care. Have done it 8 or 9 times historically, (but not yet needed to on my x99e)

Nox

Hey all! I'm glad I found this forum. Not sure about your question about the Noctua, I went with watercooling (which... was fun, but really a pain lol). Not sure if my crappy picture will upload to this post or not.

Anyhow, I noticed some peculiar behavoir recently. A couple of weeks ago, my pc began to act up during boot. Like 2 out 3 times it would boot up just fine... but, the other times it would essentially never reach beyond POST and hit the BIOS splash screen. So, then I thought to update the BIOS firmware. After completing this, I noticed that now every single time, it goes through a terribly long boot cycle before reaching my SSD. And, when I want to enter into the UEFI, that also takes a good 20-30 seconds after pressing "Del" or "F2". I've checked my BIOS settings regarding bootup, I've also loaded the defaults. Anyone else have any problems after updating?

[Edit: despite the long bootup, it does reach my MBR (Windows) at least]
I've dealt with many a PC problems, but this a new one for me. Has anyone experienced anything like this before...? Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Thanks!

The Fractal Design Node 804 has a stated CPU cooler height limit of 160 mm. The Noctua NH-U12DX i4 specifiactions state that it is 158 mm tall, so this parameter is acceptable. This cooler ships with one NF-F12 120 mm x 25 mm fan. The depth of the cooler with one fan mounted is 71 mm (wiyhout a fan the depth is only 45 mm). In comparison, the NH-U9DX i4 has a depth of 71 mm with no fans, 95 mm with one fan (NF-B9 PWM), and 120 mm with two fans. The installation Manual for both heatsinks seems to indicate that their heatpipe and fins assemblies are both centered over the CPU socket so the larger, but narrow NH-U12DX i4 should fit where ever the NH-U9DX i4 can, so long as there is adequate height, which there is for your case.

Note: the NH-U12DX i4 comes with a second set of fan clips (total depth would then be 95 mm), but you must buy the second fan separately. Good Luck!

Thank you. I did some more research and found someone that has the asrock x99e itx + noctua uh-u12dxi4 and he said the heatpipes go over the RAM. so apparently the U9dxi4 is the only one that will without any mods.

Thank you. I did some more research and found someone that has the asrock x99e itx + noctua uh-u12dxi4 and he said the heatpipes go over the RAM. so apparently the U9dxi4 is the only one that will without any mods.

I do not have these coolers or this motherboard. I too found a review that showed the UH-U12DX i4 mounted as you described, with the heatpipes extending over the RAM slots.

However both of these coolers from Noctua come with two sets of mounting brackets for the narrow ILM 2011-3 socket. The NM-XFB4 and NM-XFB5 brackets allow you to mount the cooler in two orientations , with the cooler's airflow going parallel to the RAM slots or perpendicular to them. In the first orientation the heatpipes would not extend over the RAM, instead it would be the fan(s) and the UH-U12DX i4 was designed to be narrower than the UH-U9DX i4 to interfere less with RAM.

Hi there!

I got a cheap shot on a Asrock X99 ITX at Amazon. I dont have any 2011-3 CPU nor DDR 4 memory. I want to wait for the new Broadwell-E Generation. But I think there has to be an BIOS update first.

Furture config 6900k + 32GB Corsair DDR4.

Is it possible to do a bios update with an Intel 2603v3 and a Crucial 4 GB DDR4-2133 (CT4G4DFS8213) stick?

Due to the Asrock site, both parts will be supported, but does the Crucial work with the Intel CPU?

Thank you in advance for help!

Hi there!

I got a cheap shot on a Asrock X99 ITX at Amazon. I dont have any 2011-3 CPU nor DDR 4 memory. I want to wait for the new Broadwell-E Generation. But I think there has to be an BIOS update first.

Furture config 6900k + 32GB Corsair DDR4.

Is it possible to do a bios update with an Intel 2603v3 and a Crucial 4 GB DDR4-2133 (CT4G4DFS8213) stick?

Due to the Asrock site, both parts will be supported, but does the Crucial work with the Intel CPU?

Thank you in advance for help!

As mentioned a few pages back, you can buy BIOS chips with the latest version on ebay for a few dollars, that should be much cheaper than buying a CPU and RAM solely for updating the BIOS. To answer your question though, in theory those should work, yes.

OMG.. and you know what? I read that and was thinking what great Idea that is/was.

There is a dutch seller so it might take less days than sending it from the US.

But Thank you again for providing that idea! :)

Any consensus on best air cooler for ncase and this board. Air and water coolers.

Is this NM-I2011 Mounting-Kit what you mean? I am eyeing the cousin of this motherboard, the EPC612D4I hungrily because so. much. RAM. :D

No. The NM-I2011 kit only contains brackets for square ILM sockets.

You need to contact Noctua and order the NM-XFM4 and NM-XFB5 mounting brackets for the narrow 2011-3 ILM socket. These permit mounting the heatsink in two orientations (rotated 90 degrees to each other) for whatever airflow direction or component clearance you need. I would ask for both sets of brackets, just in case.

Looks like I will never be able to toy with the x99 platform. Previously I was having problems reaching any OS installer so I RMA the motherboard which didn't fix it. I end up getting a new processor and now it reaches window installer. Half way through the install I get a 0x00000019 bad header pool blue screen and now the PC boots back up with all fans going but won't show video. Anyone experience this problem or have a fix?

EDIT: so after 10 cmos resets. Didn't work so I pulled the battery and left it for 10 minutes. It finally works now. This is the first time I've ever had so many problems for an upgrade

Last edited:
Any consensus on best air cooler for ncase and this board. Air and water coolers.

Best air - Noctua NHC14 /w Narrow ILM mount.
Best water... Probably subjective and dependent on the whole setup. I use a BitsPower monoblock/D5/Black Ice GTS240 after trying a range of different blocks, pumps and rads and found this to be my best config by far.

csd- I just got the Bitspower block for this board- quick question - Did you have any difficulty putting in your graphics card? Seems like it might be a bit tight near the PCI-E socket. Apologies if this has been asked before.

csd- I just got the Bitspower block for this board- quick question - Did you have any difficulty putting in your graphics card? Seems like it might be a bit tight near the PCI-E socket. Apologies if this has been asked before.

Had no trouble fitting my GPU and block - will have a look tonight to see what the clearance is, but don't remember any issues.

Just be aware the screws for the top section of the block only just go into the lower section and should be tightened we carefully. I over tightened one side and it pulled out one of the other screws and a small piece of acrylic on the block. I then drilled further into the top so the screws would get a better hold.

Cool, that is helpful. So maybe replacing the 3x24 with 3x26 would make it easier to install?

Do any of guys have any tips for removing the Dynatron R24 fan? It's in there pretty damn snug, on those plastic screw-thingies, but I had to use it temporarily instead of my Noctua U9dx i4 because it was the only one that would fit in the Coolermaster Elite 130 (waiting on my NCASE m1 to arrive):
a7Agl2u.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3LMtE8P.jpg

I also had hell trying to get my 980Ti Classified (EVGA) to fit. It did, but I had to pre-plug in the 8pin + 8pin connectors and come in at an angle. I almost had like 1cm or less of room in each direction to maneuveur and I didn't want to hit the pins/capacitors on the mobo or damage anything. I finally got it in, but its still slanted and I couldn't even screw in the (2) thumbscrews to hold the card in because it didn't align:
yEckJ6N.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ozpAWRJ.jpg

2rxAeI4.jpg

Last edited:
950 Pro works perfectly well with the board for me in Windows 10 and even in OS X. If you've got CSM enabled in UEFI you need to set the Storage option to "Don't load", or the system will freeze any time you exit the UEFI setup. Other than that, no issues at all. Since it sits right next to the CPU socket it even gets some airflow from my CPU fan.

For RAM see the previous page, Corsair seem to work fine for me and one other person at least.

My BIOS was crashing too after I saved changes.

But Wait a minute, I just tried setting "do not launch" for the Storage option under CSM and my secondary SSD would NOT show up in Windows, I do NOT advise this.

I did try setting Storage option under CSM to "UEFi only" and this works.

Last edited:
Yep, CSM isn't required for NVMe SSDs if you have a modern GPU.

Yes and no. In an older UEFI version I sometimes had freezes when trying to enter UEFI setup when I had CSM disabled. Also as you mention, older GPUs need CSM.

I did try setting Storage option under CSM to "UEFi only" and this works.
Ah yes, I imagine that might solve the crashes too. Curious though, I've got a 950 Pro and a SATA SSD and both work fine if I disable the storage option.

Have any of you guys installed the stock Dynatron cooler on the ASRock x99e ITX/ac and then removed the fan? I was wondering how you guys pried/took it off because It snapped on to some plastic (4) standoffs and it seemed pretty tight, so I think when I take it off to put my Noctua u9dxi4 I'm going to have to use alot of force or is there some method maybe to make this easier?
UVbdv90.jpg

Have any of you guys installed the stock Dynatron cooler on the ASRock x99e ITX/ac and then removed the fan? I was wondering how you guys pried/took it off because It snapped on to some plastic (4) standoffs and it seemed pretty tight, so I think when I take it off to put my Noctua u9dxi4 I'm going to have to use alot of force or is there some method maybe to make this easier?
UVbdv90.jpg
I used pliers to squeeze the clips together- I also hadn't installed it fully to begin with so it was fairly easy.

Dual 16GB ram stick compatibility? The list on their site was rather anemic.

Have any of you guys hear used this x99e ITX ASRock board in the NCASE m1 with the Noctua NH-U9dx i4?

I'm trying to figure out what orientation to put the CPU cooler (fans facing GPU from top to bottom) like this:
xvcnsYm.jpg

or fans facing from front to back of case:
K7BVOaE.jpg

I also have no idea what case fans to use (corsair airflow or noctua ones) or if there is an optimal method the NCASE M1 users have already come across.

I'm also worried about the Noctua NH-U9dxi4 for overclocking because it only has 92mm fans and I wanted to get a 4.5ghz overclock @1.3v for my i7 5820k. Do you guys reckon I would be better off with a Corsair H105i with the asatek Narrow ILM bracket?

Have any of you guys hear used this x99e ITX ASRock board in the NCASE m1 with the Noctua NH-U9dx i4?

I'm trying to figure out what orientation to put the CPU cooler (fans facing GPU from top to bottom) like this:
xvcnsYm.jpg

or fans facing from front to back of case:
K7BVOaE.jpg

I also have no idea what case fans to use (corsair airflow or noctua ones) or if there is an optimal method the NCASE M1 users have already come across.

I'm also worried about the Noctua NH-U9dxi4 for overclocking because it only has 92mm fans and I wanted to get a 4.5ghz overclock @1.3v for my i7 5820k. Do you guys reckon I would be better off with a Corsair H105i with the asatek Narrow ILM bracket?

I replied to your identical post on the M1 thread.

I replied to your identical post on the M1 thread.

thanks sir, didn't know where to post, since the noctua u9dxi4 is pretty specific to the x99e ITX asrock board but the cooling for the NCASE m1 is very niche (as far as my question towards orientation)

thanks sir, didn't know where to post, since the noctua u9dxi4 is pretty specific to the x99e ITX asrock board but the cooling for the NCASE m1 is very niche (as far as my question towards orientation)

No problem. I probably would have done the same thing. Let us know what components your decide on for your build and post photos and temperatures when it's completed. Good luck!

Back