X8QBE-F and e7-4830 ES

nickphx

n00b
Hi,

I've read a few posts on this forum about supermicro boards and adding ES microcode to the BIOS to support the ES chips.. I am having trouble finding a rev1.0 bios for the supermicro X8QBE-F board that would support the ES chips.. Anyone? :)

I have 8 of these E7-4830 chips and would love to be able to use them. I am able to get the machine to POST with a retail e7-4807. As soon as I switch that chip out with an E7-4830ES it won't POST. I have tried the latest firmware from supermicro, I have tried adding every microcode I could find for the E7 line of processors to the BIOS all to no avail. I am hoping I can find someone with the rev1.0 bios that should support ES processors so I can extract the microcode.. Thanks.

Supermicro wouldn't provide the v1 bios.. I ended up finding 4 X7560 ES chips from a different ebay guy.. They booted right up in the board so now the board is racked up in one of my cabinets, screaming along with esxi5.

I would be really happy if 4p g34 actually beats it 4p octo 1567. But I have my doubts..

care to show me some benchmarks.. etc ?

I would be really happy if 4p g34 actually beats it 4p octo 1567. But I have my doubts..

care to show me some benchmarks.. etc ?

Lol... no...I said 8p vs 4p... and yes I have benchmarks to prove it.

Deeeebs @ OCN runs a DL980 8cpu 1567 box
http://www.overclock.net/t/873664/any-ideas-on-how-to-configure-this-monster

We talked quite a bit and I helped him in tweaking it to make it faster...currently he is barely faster on 6903wus and I am faster on 6904s

I am PatriotEagle07 on those charts
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aspl6-RkaxtFdHdTdUdmUjhWalpXWVZ2S2xvejBDcHc#gid=0

So yes I blow the socks off a 4p 1567 box...there is no competition... I tie and beat 8p 1567 octos...and 8p 10core 1567 rigs pull out ahead.

4p 2011 octos @ 2.7 are abotu 15% faster currently.

That said I getting a better cooling solution and trading out for better binned chips... I will be bringing harbringer back at higher clocks.

4p on 4p (stock even)
I have played with a 4p of E7-4870s and they were squarely beaten by a 4p of 6172s (not the fastest amd has) but 450k ppd vs about 350k ppd on the intel box.
I was extremely surprised... 20% quicker is not a small thing...

Besides the high cost... That is why no one on the Folding team owns them... We have looked at them, and its not worth it.
However 4p 2011 is getting some consideration, but that will depend at how cheaply the chips can be found on ebay and the likes...

Last edited:
Back