X8DTL-i NVRAM Update Failed

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Well i got my X8DTL-i in tonight for E5530's and the darn thing wont boot.

It gets stuck at checking NVRAM, so i reset it and i changed the BIOS to clear the NVRAM on boot.

This time it says NVRAM Update Failed.

What could cause this?

Well I have a retail CPU that works fine the default BIOS and have been using it to Flash.

The micro code I need is in the 3/16/09 BIOS Version 1.0
But my system will not post with that BIOS because I have a newer revision of the board.

Somehow i need to get the microcode from the old BIOS into the new.

Well i finally got the BIOS Flashed and my computer will boot to windows:)

But i noticed that when my memory is populated in slots 1,2,3 it does not always recognize all of my ram?
Sometimes 4GB, sometimes 8gb, and never 12gb. If I put them in slots 4,5,6 all 12gb are recognized no problem.

So either have a memory problem or a bad board :(

O and I get random restarts.

That not ram or the board. Apprently it's something on the bios. Let it sit in the bios for 10-15 mins and see if it freezes or reboots.

If it does try 1 cpu and 1 ram stick and try again. if it does it again then bios doesn't like something along with the cpu. I been there done that with version 1.0 bios until I was able to get a tool to transfer the microcodes to 1.0c

Ok well i never could figure it out, so i broke down and purchased some new Xeon E5530's - Retail.
I also got a new mobo, same model.
And I have tested the RAM extensively and even tried different ram i pulled from two other boxes.

So right now i have a retail new X8DTL-i, a single E5530 retail, and 3x4gb ECC 10666 memory.
However it does not recognize RAM when put in DIMM3A. I had this same problem with the old mobo too.

I have tried it running the 4/10/09, 10/7/09(retail), 10/7/09(modded), and the 3/4/10(retail) BIOS's all with the same result.

So I am not even using the ES CPUs or have anything not absolutely necessary plugged in.

Any ideas? Im about to just say screw it, and get an ASUS board or a TYAN.

3x4GB sticks might be the issue here since they may not be supported. try regular DDR3 if you have any.

3x4GB sticks might be the issue here since they may not be supported. try regular DDR3 if you have any.

Yea i tried my 3x2gb gskill from my X8DAL-i build and it still acts up.
And that ram works in my X8DAL-i build.

I bought an ASUS Z8NA-D6 to try as well. I think SuperMicros QC is to blame.

I sure hope it works, I am so heavily invested in all of this, im going to be pissed if it doesnt work.
I actually have an extra of everything needed for an additional build. So i will buy a EVGA SR-2 when its available.

Well my suspicions were correct.....SuperMicro's Quality Control sucks.

Bought an Open Box ASUS Z8NA-D6 and it fired right up....even with my ES CPU's go figure :rolleyes:

SM you have been good to me but ill cya later :)

Well my suspicions were correct.....SuperMicro's Quality Control sucks.

Bought an Open Box ASUS Z8NA-D6 and it fired right up....even with my ES CPU's go figure :rolleyes:

SM you have been good to me but ill cya later :)

ES CPU only have a problem on supermicro boards since they remove they cpu codes from the bios after version 1.0, why? Who knows. But I will not buy a supermicro board anymore, just to much crap to deal with.

I remember when I had my dual AMD rig with a supermicro board the damn thing died out almost every month. :eek:

Anyway. Enjoy the new board. :D

This one goes out to LOCO LAPTOP..

I will basically pay to know the secret f the updated microcode 1.0c bios!!

any chance of a copy of that? or the tools to make it? (like the 1.0 bread and butter bios?)

And yes.. this is a terrible board.. we now have two of them.. both have had that random "not a full basket of memory" issue.. 6 x 2GB.. then only 10.. then 12.. then 8.. now stable.. no good reason.. our pattern seemed to be prevalent when we populated 3B last.. removed 3A, ran with 10, repopulated.. stable with 12 since.. go figure..

yes.. just a bios.. one with support for ES cpus..

goodness i hope that ASUS number is good with ES cpus also!!

Thanks for the read fellows. appreciate any feedback (and a bios!!!)

S!

This one goes out to LOCO LAPTOP..

I will basically pay to know the secret f the updated microcode 1.0c bios!!

any chance of a copy of that? or the tools to make it? (like the 1.0 bread and butter bios?)

And yes.. this is a terrible board.. we now have two of them.. both have had that random "not a full basket of memory" issue.. 6 x 2GB.. then only 10.. then 12.. then 8.. now stable.. no good reason.. our pattern seemed to be prevalent when we populated 3B last.. removed 3A, ran with 10, repopulated.. stable with 12 since.. go figure..

yes.. just a bios.. one with support for ES cpus..

goodness i hope that ASUS number is good with ES cpus also!!

Thanks for the read fellows. appreciate any feedback (and a bios!!!)

S!

ASUS is good with ES cpu's. I think supermicro is the only company that doesn't support ES cpu after it's made public.

You have the X8DTL also?

I was finally able to modify the bios and the board is working fine. If anybody come accross this thread send me an email at gmail (my nick name here) and I will gladly send you the modified bios. Thanks and good luck.

Back