X86 is a dying plafform, will AMD switch to ARM soon?

Thats the name of the game nowadays, you design your own stuff still but have TSMC fabricate it ~ amd, intel, apple, qualcom, mediatek, broadcom

The problem with that is that there are only two top tier silicon fabricators left. TSMC and Samsung. (And I am being generous with Samsung)

Though, at this point Intel may even do better by manufacturing at Global Foundries :ROFLMAO:

1606149312341.png

I'm hoping Intel doesn't drop their in house manufacturing and follow suit. Production volume is already limited enough at TSMC and Samsung, adding Intel to the mix would only make things worse. And even if they magically snap their fingers and add capacity (which they can't do quickly) there is a problem with concentrating more and more of the industry in just one or two companies.

As much as I am not an Intel fan, the industry as a whole will be much worse off if they can't get over this hump and whip their production back into shape again.

Your response vastly oversimplifies the issues and Ignorant at best.

Intel absolutely has a management problem, coupled with a being to big problem. You can blame foundaries, or whoever makes you happy, but Intel's continual failure to execute a die shrink and default to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++ is their failure not someone elses. Especially since it has been done by multiple other companies now, we aren't even talking bleeding edge nm.

I'm not agreeing with you at all - just to be clear.

So please, indulge us on why you think TMG has failed. The biggest blunder (which was made at the exec level) was probably EUV.

So please, indulge us on why you think TMG has failed. The biggest blunder (which was made at the exec level) was probably EUV.
euv - engineering problem. not exec or management like have repeated over and over. you're just wrong.

"Although Intel is now running EUV at volume for technology development, Intel's engineers are still struggling to use it in the manufacturing of cutting-edge chips at scale."

"view on 10nm is that brilliant engineers took a risk, and now they're retracing their steps and getting it right".

euv - engineering problem. not exec or management like have repeated over and over. you're just wrong.

"Although Intel is now running EUV at volume for technology development, Intel's engineers are still struggling to use it in the manufacturing of cutting-edge chips at scale."

"view on 10nm is that brilliant engineers took a risk, and now they're retracing their steps and getting it right".
Are you seriously linking me an article where they get the name of the person and their position within the company wrong?

The decision to go ahead without EUV on 10nm was 100% management. It was arguably the single biggest decision that sealed the fate of Intel 10nm.

The decision to go ahead without EUV on 10nm was 100% management. It was arguably the single biggest decision that sealed the fate of Intel 10nm.
Hardly, Samsung, Intel and TSMC had issues with EUV but its the standard way to go.

X86 is a software foundation. It hasnt got piss to do with hardware. I mean you have to build a cpu around the instruction set but its not bound to silicon. You can build an x86 computer in minecraft lol using redstone and blocks. Yes youtube it.

X86 wont die but tech will hit limits of silicon element. And well go to graphene next which is in heavy research as we speak. Oh and carbon nano tubes etc...

The fact that new consoles just came out means that you won't move gaming away from x86 for the next 7 years at least. And I'll believe it when I see it for a socketed ARM processor that pairs with a motherboard allowing for PCIe expansion slots that performs on par or better with an x86 solution.

Back