X850XT DVI to HDMI Help needed

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
ok so i have a pretty standard HTPC my old dell xps, it is a P4 3.4 - 1.5 pc4200 ATI x850xt pe, vista Home preium 32 bit.

now here is the situation, using the DVI to VGA to conect to my samsung 40" 1080i HDTV i have no problems with scaling, res is set to 1360x768 everything looks great

when i hook up a DVI to HDMI to my tv it doesn't scale right at all, the highest res i can set is 1280x720 i think and i can't see the borders of my desk top or the task bar, and if i pick a different tv resolution the picture sucks, it flickers like mad and still doesn't scale correctly,

i am using the 8.1 cats, now is it my tv or the vidio card?

SO now i am planing on getting a LG Super Multi Blue: Blue-ray Disc and HD DVD-Rom Drive. So will buying a new vid card like a 2600,3850 or nvidia equivalant help in any way? With the DVI to HDMI quality?

If i watch HD or Blue Ray movies through the VGA connection will i get the best picture quality or do i need the DVI to HDMI connection to my tv?

any help would be great is there something i am doing wrong, just want to get the most out of my HTPC.

Thnx

i am kinda in the same boat too. so far i have found out that you need to buy an ATI HD2000 series card. those cards are capable of using a dvi-to-hdmi adapter that will give you not only hdmi connectivity but audio too. i plan on getting one later this week.

Go with an NV card (yes, it'll fix the issue you have already too) because AMD/ATI have a few driver related issues (this is one of them) that NV does not.

Then again it looks like that thats an AGP system and if it is your totally screwed as the AGP HD2000 series cards have a broken Avivo engine.

Anyways, go with a 8600GT.

your tv is 720p...that's what you are going to get at max 1280x720. 1080i doesnt = 1920x1080 res ...that's 1080p

i am kinda in the same boat too. so far i have found out that you need to buy an ATI HD2000 series card. those cards are capable of using a dvi-to-hdmi adapter that will give you not only hdmi connectivity but audio too. i plan on getting one later this week.

yea thats what i was thinking but i am not to worried about audio but it nice the the 2600 and up cards have that option.

Then again it looks like that thats an AGP system and if it is your totally screwed as the AGP HD2000 series cards have a broken Avivo engine.

Nope PCI-e, well maybe i will buy a new card for the gaming rig and put my 8800 GTS 320 in the HTPC, but i can get a 2600hd card for a hundred dollars, would it be worth it or will i still have a driver issue?

your tv is 720p...that's what you are going to get at max 1280x720. 1080i doesnt = 1920x1080 res ...that's 1080p

yes i understand that but it doesn't scale right at that resolution, i can't see my desktop correctly, using the DVI to HDMI connection but DVI to VGA is perfect at 1360x768 and i can't run 1360x768 using the DVI to HDMI

try checking or unchecking the Alternate dvi operational mode in the ati setting

Back