X850 XT AGP vs. 6800GT

Budzman

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had my 6800 GT (o/c ultra) for a few months now and was thinking about upgrading. My problem is should I wait a few months for the next generation of cards to come out or buy a X850 XT?

The main game I play is World of Warcraft and Half-Life 2. Does anyone know if there is a big difference in performance when using ATI or Nvidia cards in WoW?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I would say unless your going to PCI-E that it would be a waste to buy an AGP X850XT now unless you could get one for a really good price. AGP is slowly dieing out it would be a better upgrade to wait and get a new PCI-E board and an R520 or G70 or whatever comes out later this summer.

Half-Life 2 isn't all that GPU intensive so a 6800GT is able to handle it just fine.

You can check out WoW performance in this article here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2381

I have an AGP 6800GT w/ volt mod / edited bios @ 470/1200 (on liquid) and I also have a PCI-E X850XT @ 470/490 and I must admit the X850XT rapes the pants off my GT. *shrugs* it puts up a heck of a fight though. U really see the performance increase during high AF/AA usage.

you should wait for the next generation of cards.

btw, how are you not being satisfied with that 6800gt?

i have an FX 5200 and i am itching to get a new card, but my upgrade probably wont take place til summer (out of school) or maybe after thanksgiving day sale... and it still would probably be a 6800gt at the most, unless prices drop...

Would the X850XT win? No doubt, but is it worth upgrading from the card you just bought a few months ago? I don't believe so. You don't notice any gaming lag do you? Than its not really time yet. Give it awhile than upgrade.

I didn't upgrade to next gen yet. Simply because even though the performance is there, my 9800pro still runs all games, I don't see spending 230 a little over a year ago and spending 350+ now. Just isnt worth it IMO.

definately wait.

with those being the only games you are playing, the 6800gt should be more than enough to hold you off until the next generation. Besides by that time you might upgrade your motherboard as well ad be needing a pci-e.

Back