x800xl vs 9800pro

Ok, i just bought my x800xl and i used to have a 128mb 256bit 9800 pro.

How much of a performance increase will i see? (computer isnt up yet, in sig)

Big boost for me. I upgraded from 9700pro and all my games are smooth as silk, on 1280x1024 2aa/8af. I experienced no hiccups whatsoever playing HL2, CoD,BFV and Doom3 on max settings.

theelviscerator said:
should be close to double..
Oh GOOD. I will compare my 9800 pro 3dmark05's to my x800xl's when i get back home :)

(does 1800 sound about right for a p4 2.6c, 1gb ram and 9800 pro on 3dmark05?)

I dont remember my exact score, just vague figures...

i can't understand why people waste their time with gay ass programs like 3DMark. Proprietary software doesn't mean crap.

Why don't you go run a timedemo in HL2?
http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?directory=ati_x850_xt_pe&page=4

You can download the timedemos I use in my reviews from the various pages of the review. HL2, Doom3, Riddick...

Sorry, but I am just really annoyed by the whole 3DMark culture. It's nothing more than an e-penis measurement tool, and it's not exactly accurate either. While it may give you some general idea of the performance of a card, it churns out a generic score which really means nothing

x800xl will pwn ur 9800...cos it is 256, has more pipes and is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster

Kurtis said:
i can't understand why people waste their time with gay ass programs like 3DMark. Proprietary software doesn't mean crap.

Why don't you go run a timedemo in HL2?
http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?directory=ati_x850_xt_pe&page=4

You can download the timedemos I use in my reviews from the various pages of the review. HL2, Doom3, Riddick...

Sorry, but I am just really annoyed by the whole 3DMark culture. It's nothing more than an e-penis measurement tool, and it's not exactly accurate either. While it may give you some general idea of the performance of a card, it churns out a generic score which really means nothing
Ahh i see.. Thanks!!

It should be more than double, when you count IQ and resolutions that are gamable... you should go from 1024by768 in source to 16by12 with AA and AF ( I think).

~Adam

Yea, i play with lower resolution in source and 1.6 so people look bigger (makes it easier to kill). I'll prolly amp up the AA/AF quite a bit now so it looks purty :)

on my LCD i can't play at less than 1680x1050 cuz then it looks nasty (not in native resolution). but that's sorta cheap hehe. hey look a huge head! click. dead!

quiksilverx181 said:
Yea, i play with lower resolution in source and 1.6 so people look bigger (makes it easier to kill). I'll prolly amp up the AA/AF quite a bit now so it looks purty :)

That doesn't make any sense.

If you're running a FOV of 90 and a model is supposed to take up say ten degrees of the display, then at 640x480 or 1600x1200 it should still take up the same ten degrees of the display. Which would mean that they wouldn't be any bigger, just less detailed.

Unless the HL engine is more screwed up than I know...

-dB

I can't run at 1600x1200 with everything on in HL2, much less AA/AF. ATI cards do handle Source better than nVidia cards, but if you are willing to turn some stuff down, you can comfortably play HL2 at 1280x1024 on a 9800 level card.

Decibel said:
That doesn't make any sense.

If you're running a FOV of 90 and a model is supposed to take up say ten degrees of the display, then at 640x480 or 1600x1200 it should still take up the same ten degrees of the display. Which would mean that they wouldn't be any bigger, just less detailed.

Unless the HL engine is more screwed up than I know...

-dB
Nope, thats the way hl engine is. When im at 800x600, i can see less of the map in general, but people look bigger. When im at 1600x1200, I can see most of the map on my screen but the people are tiny (aka harder to hit)

Back