X800xl & Hdr & Hl2 ?

water1

Gawd
Hello all.
I can get a ATI X800XL for a good price but I was wondering if it can do any HDR effects at all? Like in the HL2 Lost Coast level even though the 800XL does not have SM3.0 does the Lost coast level have anything new in it with HDR that I could see with an 800XL but not with my old 9800Pro ? Aside from the speed boost over my old 9800Pro will I get any HDR effects in any games if I get a 800XL ?

only on source {integer} based HDR you can see it but not on FP16 since the x800 series doesnt support it

btw wats the deal u r getting with the xl?

Thanks for the replys all.
RoffleCopter, it's not so much a great deal as I just have gift cards from Xmas that were given to me so the out lay of cash on my part will be low.
One more thing, in a game like Far Cry will there be any HDR with the 800xl or does that game only use SM3.0 for HDR and no SM2.5 for the 800XL cards ?

water1 said:
RoffleCopter, it's not so much a great deal as I just have gift cards from Xmas that were given to me so the out lay of cash on my part will be low.
One more thing, in a game like Far Cry will there be any HDR with the 800xl or does that game only use SM3.0 for HDR and no SM2.5 for the 800XL cards ?

Don't quote me on this, but I do recall a patch being released to take advantage of the x800 series tech, but still no hdr.

Would that x800 xl cost less than this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102483

water1 said:
That's a common misconception. SM3 has absolutely nothing to do with FP16 HDR. Your card supports SM2.0b and does not support FP16 HDR. Meaning that it can do HDR in programs such as Rthdribl and HL2: Lost Coast but not in FarCry and SC:CT (?).

Hello RoffleCopter,
Yes it would be less but only because I am sitting on $110.00 in Circuit City gift cards, So if Circuit City will do a price match of the sale Comp-USA is running on the X800XL of $199.00 I would only be puting out $89.00+Tax. for the card...Not bad.
Circuit City just dosn't have much to choose from in video cards. If I want full SM3.0 & FPO16 support the only cards they have is the 6600GT and the vinilla 6800 ? Should I go with one of those just for the SM3.0 & FP16 or the 800XL for cheep price and more Frames Per Second.?

Also thanks for the info.on SM3.0 & FP16 HDR Sc4freak, I see what your saying, I did not know that was how it worked, Thanks

To be honest I would go with the x800xl since it gives much better performance than the 6600gt and vanilla 6800, despite whatever gain they get from SM 3.0. The 6 series can't run FP16 at high resolutions with acceptable frame rate anyway. If you want good performance with FP16, go for the 7 series or the x1xx series.

Thanks RoffleCopter,
Thats what I'm thinking also. X1800s or G7s and up if SM3.0 is somthing you want to use.
I might just wait a bit to see if Circuit City starts stocking X1800s and G7s anytime soon.
I think Circuit City is just a little slower in stocking the newer stuff. I'll just give it a bit and see.
Thanks again to all you people here in the (H)Forums....Still The best place to get some answers when you need them.

Back