x800xl dead?

ark1

n00b
Today I got a new x800xl and after inserting the card, my computer turns on but nothing else happens. The fans on the video card & CPU are spinning but my screen stays black. The card is connected to the power supply and the monitor cable is properly attached. When I switch back to my old card (ti4400) everything is working fine. This is my second x800xl as the first one would randomly shut down my computer after some time of usage so I decided to exchange it and see if that would fix it but this time nothing works.

So does this sound like a dead card ?

Can you try it in another computer? If not RMA/return it, sounds like it's dead to me.

Since this is your second usage I'd like to know the rest of your system specs, including your CPU, Mobo, amount of RAM, driver (CD, DVDs, your HDs) and most importantly your PSU. It seems like their an issue in other places, first thought that comes to mind is a low quality PSU.

More than likely your PSU isn't giving enough juice to get everything in your computer started. Probably sapping too much power from your CPU.

What power supply do you have?

I was thinking also about my PSU which is this one

http://www.highpowersupply.com/300101.html

HPS 300 101

other than that I have:

CPU : AMD 2100+
mobo : ABIT kx7-333
ram : 2* 512 mb (Kingston and some other brand)
two hds (wester digital 120 & 80 gigs)
Liteon DVD RW
sound blaster audigy 2

I know 300 is the minimum for x800xl but it used to work (at least partially) on that other card.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll try tomorrow to go get a new PSU and see if that can help. I guess something around 450 should be enough

i'd say that PSU is too weak. how much do you think you can spend on a new one?

problem is the psu definately!!

i got a 620w psu for $90 at newegg.com, be prepair for anything!!!

Ok I got a new PSU, this one is a 450 but still the same problem with my video card...gonna exchange my card tomorrow

ark1 said:
Ok I got a new PSU, this one is a 450 but still the same problem with my video card...gonna exchange my card tomorrow
can u check it in a different PC? does your 800XL require an additional power?

Demicore said:
Do you have a VIA mobo?

I have an abit kx7-333 motherboard...don't know what is via but I think it is .... what would that change ?

I also double and triple checked my card insertion and connection...still nothing and as I previously said, I used to have a different 800xl which I could use for a while before it would shut down my PC and that happened when playing battlefield2 and panzers phase 2 demo for about 30 minutes (probably temperature too high?)

Just exchanged for a new one and it works fine, looks like the card was dead from the start. Gonna test if it can handle some action on the new PSU.

I was just asking that because you previously had an nvidia card, and with nvidia card on via mobo's you often have to manually set the agp driving value, and when you then switch to an ati and forget to set it back to "auto" it gives the exact same kind of problem... but I see your new card works fine, glad to hear that, enjoy.

MrSlacker said:
all good in the end. did you buy the card locally?

yeah at my local Futureshop ....after a couple days of testing everything seems to be good in the end

thanks for help everyone

Back