X800SE or X800XT?

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
Dell is offering 3 ATI cards

X300SE

X800SE
X800XT

The X300SE is useless so I won't consider it.

But the tough part is deciding between the X800SE and the X800XT
the price difference is $300 Canadian

I'm thinking of getting the X800SE, and then use it for 1 or 2 years, and replace it with the new generation mid level card. But the problem is that even if I save the extra $300 by getting the X800SE instead, I'm not sure if I can get a decent card that will be that much faster than the X800XT in 1 to 2 years time.

I would like to overclock the X800SE, or enable all 16 pipes, but no one seems to be able to do that. I'm also not sure what the range of mark3d 2003 values are. The X800XT from Dell does about 12,500 in mark3d 2003.

I notice the 256M 9800Pro is $400 Canadian
and the video card prices are not dropping as expected.

Thanks for some feedback

what is the price difference between the x300se and the x800xt, thats what i would be concerned about... you could just get the x300se, take it out, and buy an x800xt from an online retailer for cheaper (possibly).. you should look into that as well.

if that isn't a better deal, I'd go with the x800xt just because you are gonna have a hard time selling the x800se. the x800xt will perform much better than the SE

Upgrading from X300SE to X800SE is $250 Canadian

From X800SE to X800XT is another $ 300 Canadian

Dell probably gets the X300SE from ATI for $50

The X800XT Retail is selling for more than $750 Canadian

So getting it from Dell is actually quite cheap. But if I can save $300 for later...

People are always posting that they sold an old P4 2 GHz and bought a P4 3 GHz.
Where do people sell their used parts anyway? EBay?

i just noticed your name, its quite awesome :D another Weasel! :)

you can sell parts on e-bay, here, or other tech forums that allow it

why in the world would you go dell anyways?!?!
it's much cheaper and your guaranteed to know whats going into your machine

there's plenty of how to's on the net to build your own machine
and it's simple if you can change the oil in your car chances are you can build your own machine

300 canadian is what.. 5 or 10 bucks? Go for the XT of course :p

~Adam

**disclaimer**
The above statement was made for comedic purposes only, the triteness and stupidity in it shall be ignored and laughs shall occur.... Now.

what the guy a few posts above said.. you really should consider building your own pc, its not as hard as you may think it is! its a great way to save some cash, have some fun, and learn something to :D if you need any help picking out parts, i'm sure we'd all be happy to help you out here

get the x800 PRO (if available) or XT , everything else is crap .

Don't waste your money in SE cards.

IceWeasel said:
i just noticed your name, its quite awesome :D another Weasel! :)
There's a few weasels at this forum. Cheers! :D

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. I guess I'll have to fork over the extra $300 for the XT.

I'm buying a Dell because the prices are so low when they have a sale. I tried configuring a system at http://microbytes.com but I can never match the Dell prices.

The regular Dell prices are average, but when they have a sale with $500 to $1000 off, it is hard to beat. They had a sale on the XPS last week. $1000 off. Canadian.

p4 3.60 GHz
250G hard drive
DVD ROM
DVD Writer, etc...
A fully loaded system

i suppose it is hard to find a supplier that will ship to Canada, but try pricing your parts out at Monarch Computers... i believe they ship to Canada, and you may be able to buy a better pc for cheaper.. when i get back from class, i'll help you pricematch if you'd like

if you want the x800xt check pricenetwork and type in x800xt and you will get a complete listing of many websites that offer them and are selling them for 700 or less ...

I got the platinum edition for $698 Canadian before tax and $807 after taxes and s&h ... i would say it's hella worth it !!!

IceWeasel your sig is 11 lines long, unless they changed the max from 10 when I wasn't looking you're a line too long =/

~Adam

thanks for taking the time to count it? no one else has ever said a word about it... but i guess i'll change it :D

I just thought it was a bit long when I saw it, it's habit I guess =/

~Adam

Thanks guys for the computer web sites. I'll compare prices. If I do buy from a store, it will have to be local so I can exchange parts easily if they fail. Last week I almost bought this computer.

Dell XPS Gen 3
--------------

2 Rear CPU Fans
1 Front Fan
2 Fans for the Power Supply
460 W Power Supply
Thermaltake Heat Pipe ?
3 5.25in bays, 3 3.5in drive bays
8 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 6 back)
2 IEEE 1394 ports (1 front, 1 back)
P4 560 3.6 GHz
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2
1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
3.5 in Floppy Drive
16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability
16 DVD ROM
Productivity Pack with WordPerfect®
19 in (18.0 in viewable) M993 CRT Monitor
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X800 SE
Sound Blaster Audigy™2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394 capability
Dell® Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard
Dell™ Optical USB Mouse
56K PCI Telephony Modem
Intel 925X Express chipset (for Dell) with Integrated Intel® PRO 1000 Ethernet
1 Yr Ltd. Warranty, 1 Yr In-Home/On-Site Service, 24x7 Phone Tech Support

FREE Shipping

TOTAL= $ 2199 Canadian.

Add $300 for an X800XT upgrade, and TOTAL = $2499

I regret not buying it. But I will wait for the next sale at the end of this month or in mid dec., and compare prices.

Glueman said:
LOL IceWeasel
i love the XTPE modded to an x800pro
;]]

what? it says x800 pro modded into an x800xt pe last time i checked.. but ill look again lol

also, WickedWeasel, unless you are concerned about having an entire system warranty and such, you should really look into building your own pc... Dell is a good company, but they are very overpriced, just like any PC manufacturer. you could probably save $600 ($USD) or so by doing it yourself

Back