X800PRO VIVO woes SO Hauppauge Bundle???

1-PC-NewB

n00b
I have an X800PRO GPU that was given to me. In it’s manual it describes using the board’s S-Video connection for VI (Video IN) use as well as VO (Video OUT). The installed software even included a Windows Encoder app, but I’m not able to get it to recognize a video IN.

Anyway, I was thinking of buying one of the Sage, Hauppauge, Remote and NVIDIA DVD Decoder Bundles before the X800PRO was given to me, but figured IF this GPU indeed could capture & playback video (like MPEG2 well enough to backup some VHS to DVD-R) I might was well save the funds and use it. However, with not being able to sort out why the X800PRO isn't working as the manual seems to indicate it could I’m now thinking I should just forget the ATi for capture/playback use and go ahead and proceed with a Hauppauge bundle. If I do will the bundled NVIDIA DVD Decoder be a problem with the ATi board and it's drivers, etc. since they're not on the same team so-to-speak???

Thanks in advance for any insight about how to go about starting up a HTPC...

You need a special cable that seperates in and out to the right pins, as seen in the middle of this picture:

14-102-465-04.JPG

k1114 said:
You need a special cable that seperates in and out to the right pins
Hmmm, Well that would indeed help... I'll have to double check the packaged items check list, but that cable wasn't included with the > ATi version < of the GPU... :rolleyes: ATi also didn't include much in the way of 3rd party apps like the PowerDVD that pic shows, but that's another topic...

I appreciate the heads-up...

With that cable has setting up a PVR/HTPC been easy or a real a real PITA and therefore I'd still be better off just looking into one of the Hauppauge bundles?

Remember that not all X800 Pro cards support input, you need to be 100% sure on that ;)

If you have the money lying around and think you will make good use of it, sure get a seperate tv tuner / encoder card. The hauppauge PVR-150 can be found rather cheap (I've seen them as low as $60 at times) and represent some of the best quality possible.

Back