X800GTO DVI-HDMI Cable, Signal Shutting Off soon after booting any game in Vista

reductant

Limp Gawd
My graphics card is an X800GTO from PowerColor (256 MB GDDR3), and I am using Vista Ultimate x64 with the new drivers and CCC from ATI. I have also installed drivers for my monitor. My current monitor only has HDMI and VGA inputs. My previous monitor had a DVI input and using DVI resulted in no problem. Using VGA is also fine with this monitor. However, using DVI-HDMI cable causes a problem. The signal shuts off about 1-2 minutes after booting up any game (even using the test vids in CCC causes it shut off). I cannot get the signal to return unless I use the power button on the PC (to either put to sleep, shut down, or restart). I have tested another device that outputs via HDMI, and I have no problems. I don't have another device that outputs via DVI, though.

I am planning on replacing my card soon anyways with an 8600gt and am getting a new DVI-HDMI cable. I am hoping the problem doesn't repeat. In the meantime, though, I am curious to know what could be causing this signal loss.

I have adjusted the Vista power options to never put the monitor to sleep. I have disabled hybrid sleep, away mode, and hibernate. I am using a single link DVI to HDMI cable, but the new one I will purchase is DL-DVI, but I doubt this would make a difference. Could HDCP handshaking be a problem? I am pretty sure that PowerColor listed this card as being HDCP compliant. I have fiddled with lots of options in CCC, but nothing seems to make a difference. I have also tried changing the drivers for the graphics card using the preinstalled ones on Vista (particularly the one from Microsoft), but this also didn't help.

Back