x800gto --> 7800gt, quality got worse?

erebus1

Limp Gawd
is it just me or has anyone else experienced this... i was running an ati x800gto and playing quake4 like a good little fragmaster, then i went and upgraded to a evga 7800gt and it seems like the graphic quality in quake 4 has gotten worse.. i cant really explain it but im getting some tearing when i turn quickly and when the card does bump mapping in the distance it looks weird and grainy.

im trying to tweak my nv settings so well see if it gets better, but heres my specs
quake 4 demo, 1280x1024 16:9 high quality, everything on except vsync, AA 4x
Dell 2005fpw
eVGA 7800GT 256MB and/or Connect3D x800GTO
DFI Lanparty NF4 UT
AMD 64 3200 - non oc
2x512 Mushkin PC3200 Value
OS - XP/SP2 with all the fixins
HDD (80Gig Maxtor PATA w/OS, 250Gig Seagate SATA w/pagefile)

The tearing is because your FPS is higher... and not synced to the monitor's refresh rate...

The bump mapping thing you mention.. well you're moving from ATi to nVidia.. you COULD be noticing the IQ difference.

Well, I just went from sli'd 7800gt's to an X1800xt. To me Ati has the better image quality. Before the 7800's I had an x800pro and it too had better image quality...

maybe i should sell the 7800gt and x800gto and get like a better ati card.

The "grainy" textures you're noticing in the distance is probably shimmering. Try setting your Quality to High quality in the nvidia control panel as well as setting Negative LOD bias from Allow to Clamp.

Shadow27 said:
The "grainy" textures you're noticing in the distance is probably shimmering. Try setting your Quality to High quality in the nvidia control panel as well as setting Negative LOD bias from Allow to Clamp.
That never helped me with my 6600GT, that's one of the reasons I got this x800GTO^2...

Worth a try tho :confused: I did help me in some games. I'm seriously thinking of going back to ATI now that i've had a 6800GT and 6600GT, the image quality is definetly not as good. I downgraded from my 6800GT to this 6600GT so that I could save some money for either a 7800GT or x1800xl.

Shadow27 said:
Worth a try tho :confused: I did help me in some games. I'm seriously thinking of going back to ATI now that i've had a 6800GT and 6600GT, the image quality is definetly not as good.
I'd rather play Counter-Strike: Source on my old 9600 Pro than on the 6600GT...

That's how annoying it was to me.

If Valve's updates stopped degrading performance I'd be extremely happy.

Just tried Guild Wars and the shimmering is gone baby! It's good to be back home...

Back