X800 vs 6800GT and 9800Pro vs 6600GT

Postmodum

Limp Gawd
I there,
i'm going to build a new system and i'm deciding on the graphics card. The 6800GT is a better performer all around than the X800 yes? what brand would you advice?

Other question is that my friend is going to buy a new pc too, but he can get a 9800Pro or a 6600GT ... what it's your advice?

on the 6800GT: any brand is fine -- they're all basically reference design -- except PNY is poorly built

on the other, neither. If you need PCIe, then the 6600GT. If it's AGP, then get a 6800 vanilla and try to unlock the pipes (even if they don't unlock it's basically tied with the 6600GT). Definitely not the 9800 though as it's a DX8 card.

There are quite a few things you might want to consider about the cards. How they perform with what systems, what kind of drivers they might have and how well their drivers work with them. I would personally look at some of the reviews done by hardocp.com. See what kinda system you'll be running and use your best example, some people like apples ( ATI ), and some people like oranges ( Nvidia ). Me personally, i bought the BFG 6800OC and i'm inlove with the card, but i'd heard great reviews about it, plus i got it with the hl2 and farcry bundle, this card plays WOW like it's nothing. The other question is a little more in my alley, cause i was looking into getting both of these cards, their both really nice cards, and the 6600GT was almost my choice until i found the 6800OC.

The reviews i've seen with the 6600GT showed that the card wasn't really working that well in the higher resolutions with high settings on. If i remember correctly, so many people asked about the 9800pro vs 6600gt and i think the 6600gt had better results until high resolutions. My best bet would to be, use the search, look at 6600GT benchmarks, or 6600GT vs 9800 Pro, see what you can come with. See which game they play it with, match it up and see how they match up compared to what you'd be doing.

Out of the box with my system my eVGA 6800gt put a 3dmark05 score of 4463. If you can afford the 6800gt I would def get that.

There is little doubt that the 6800GT is a better performer than the X800pro both with $400 dollar price tags. The X800pro Vivo is a different story. If you can find one keeping that price tag, the card can easily be softmodded to unlock the extra 4 pipes, thus making it a 16 pixel pipeline card. Overclocking results of course vary, but most people are able to attain speeds of 500/500 XT and some XT PE speeds of 520/560. In my opinion both the XT and XT PE are better performers than the 6800GT. You want to get the best bang for your buck, correct? If you can find a X800pro Vivo for around $400 I would jump on it.

I did my homework b4 i spent my 400$..and while the reference boards are basically the same..NO ONE beats BFG's warrenty(and yes...id stay away from PNY as well)

If you are spending 400 on a card just wait a couple extra weeks and drop 600 on the 6800 Ultra...
You'll know that you are getting the best card out there...
And that is coming from an ATI guy.

The Superlative said:
on the 6800GT: any brand is fine -- they're all basically reference design -- except PNY is poorly built

on the other, neither. If you need PCIe, then the 6600GT. If it's AGP, then get a 6800 vanilla and try to unlock the pipes (even if they don't unlock it's basically tied with the 6600GT). Definitely not the 9800 though as it's a DX8 card.

Actually the 9800 is a DX9 card. I do agree with getting a 6800 instead of a 9800 pro or a 6600gt. I have a BFG 6800oc and I was unable to unlock the extra pipes and vertex unit. Very good performer.

If you are spending 400 on a card just wait a couple extra weeks and drop 600 on the 6800 Ultra...
i find it hard to justify a 600$ expense on an ultra..when you can buy a gt..and easily oc it to ultra specs..now granted..you can buy an ultra..and oc it...but think about it...how fast does an already INSANELY fast card need to be...is it worth the extra 200$ to get 10 more fps(and thats a random#)

Buying an Ultra for $600 is kind of stupid. For one thing, I've seen them for just over $500. Also, unlike the x800 Pro vs. 6800 GT, the x800 XT is not a clear loser to the 6800 Ultra... if anything, you could argue the opposite in almost everything that isn't Doom 3.

Here's another vote for the 6800NU. If that isnt an option, id vote for the 6600GT over the 9800 pro, based on the reviews I've looked at.

why spend more then you need to for a QUALITY video card...the ultra is a great card...dont get me wrong..but the GT will run JUST as well..your not going to see any graphix enhancements with an ultra over the GT..will you get more fps in CS..or UT2K4?...of course...how many...well..that depends on the rest of your hardware...its certainly not enough to justify the extra 125-175$(some site are asking close to 600$) for an ultra...you can buy a GT..overclock it to an ultras specs...and smile at the fact that you saved yourself a nice chunk of change(use it to buy a better sound card..or another hard drive

Well, the 6800 is a lot better than the X800, as you probably gathered. Which model you choose is really down to your budget and what you want to do with it.... which is the question I want to ask. What sort of gaming do you do? Will you really notice the performance difference betweem a GT and an Ultra?

As for the problem with your friend, without knowing what he does and needs, I would say the 9800Pro, although its not as good as the 9800XT. I haven't seen any performance comparisons between the 9800Pro and the 6600GT, so you or he might want to look at that for your final verdict.

6800nu all the way, it beats a 6600gt and 9800pro handily and they seem to have a better % overclock than the 6600gt. and you also have the chance of softmodding.

don't forget the almost risk free unlockin of the pipes/shader on the 6800 NU. the success rates are VERY high.

I would pick the 6800nu over the 6600gt and the 9800pro anyday..

outpost i believe has it for 250. if u want to wait im sure around christmas time there will be a deal!

[Retaliation] said:
i find it hard to justify a 600$ expense on an ultra..when you can buy a gt..and easily oc it to ultra specs..now granted..you can buy an ultra..and oc it...but think about it...how fast does an already INSANELY fast card need to be...is it worth the extra 200$ to get 10 more fps(and thats a random#)
Amen to that. $600 is WAY too much to spend on any part of a computer, IMO. Except MAYBE an LCD.

Mojo said:
Amen to that. $600 is WAY too much to spend on any part of a computer, IMO. Except MAYBE an LCD.
and the sad part is....from what ive been lookin at..you wont find anything thats decent enough to game on for that kinda money ...im in the market for a LCD..but i want a smokin LCD..and what ive lookin at is 1,000 or more

The Superlative said:

The PNY is not poorly built. Packaged poorly yes. Many are damaged in shipping. I'd like to point out that alot of the retail store warehouse people are not gentle with things comming off the truck. At Best Buy the guys used to play football with Maxtor hard drives. :eek: I've installed a number of the PNY cards and they've all been fine. In fact I'd say that many time they are built better than some other cards. They include a metal bracket to keep the PCB from bending under it's own weight.

I have owned a PNY AGP 6800GT and there was nothing low quality about it. That being said, I went with eVGA this time around with my PCI-Express 6800GT.

So we'll see what that's like when it arrives. Whenever the hell that is.

Postmodum said:
I there,
i'm going to build a new system and i'm deciding on the graphics card. The 6800GT is a better performer all around than the X800 yes? what brand would you advice?

Other question is that my friend is going to buy a new pc too, but he can get a 9800Pro or a 6600GT ... what it's your advice?

6800GT > X800PRO > 6600GT > 9800PRO

6800oc is supposed to have 12. HOWEVER, bfg has been shady lately and shipping 6800's with 8 pipes :mad:

The 6800nu with 12 pipelines is about even with an X800 pro for 150 dollars less. The 6800GT is better for the same price. The 6600GT and 9800 pro are about the same but for a little more you can get the 6800nu. The memory bandwidth on the 9800 pro is about 7GB/s more because its 256bit vs 128.

The 6800GT is usally a bit ahead of the X800 pro.
The 68000 NU is no where near the X800 pro in anything but doom 3.

Back