X800 question re: multi-monitor display modes

evildre

[H]F Junkie
Do Radeon X800 cards allow you to span your desktop across multiple monitors in Windows? What I mean by this is, instead of having two separate 1600x1200 desktops in Display Properties, can it show a single 3200x1200 desktop? I have seen this on Matrox cards, as well as nVidia Quadro cards (though I think GeForce cards support it as well) ...

I have an x800 pro, while it does support this as of right now my crt display is very "mushy" for lack of a technical term. which is what i'm just starting to look for an answer to. But in response to your question, yes it does support that.

paf said:
I have an x800 pro, while it does support this as of right now my crt display is very "mushy" for lack of a technical term. which is what i'm just starting to look for an answer to. But in response to your question, yes it does support that.
How do I enable that mode?

The reason I'm asking is because I sold a pretty decent system to a doctor not too long ago (P4 3.6GHz, Intel D915PBL, 2GB PC2-4300, 200GB Seagate SATA, Radeon X800 XT w/256MB, DVD burner ... hey, he wanted it, I can't argue :D), and he's using the system to visualize large datasets. He's used to having it in 3200x1200 mode, while the ATI Radeon X800 XT he has now defaults to two separate 1600x1200 desktops. He says his software actually works fine in the default mode, but I'd like to know how to get it to go to 3200x1200 if he wants it that way.

Make sure both monitors are plugged in.

Go to your display properties, you should see both displays in the window (one will be listed as 1, the other will be 2.) Click on the second display (2) and check the box below that says "Expand my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

Click OK and Viola! You have an expanded desktop.

chiablo said:
Make sure both monitors are plugged in.

Go to your display properties, you should see both displays in the window (one will be listed as 1, the other will be 2.) Click on the second display (2) and check the box below that says "Expand my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

Click OK and Viola! You have an expanded desktop.

That's the dual-desktop mode :D I know that well, because I use it at home. The thing is, there is another way. In Display Properties, a single monitor shows up when both monitors are plugged in, and its resolution can be set to 3200x1200. That's what I'm looking for :D

What's the difference?

Make sure to download the Hydravision drivers, that should help whatever you're trying.

i too would really like to know how to do this. I have had dual monitors for a while now and while I can set it to stretch which makes the background go across both monitors, it makes all my programs go across both monitors as well.

sleepeeg3 said:
What's the difference?

Make sure to download the Hydravision drivers, that should help whatever you're trying.
The difference doesn't matter to me, it matters to my customer who is used to that feature on Matrox cards :D

Though, if I were to use it, it would be to make sure that stereo mode works in the projects I'm working on ... can't have virtual reality without 3D, can't have 3D without two projectors and a polarization-preserving display, and can't have two projectors without a video card in "Stretch" mode :D

Back