X79 - Why are used prices so high?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by JSumrall, Oct 18, 2019.

1. JSumrall

JSumrall Limp Gawd

I've been browsing used X79 boards on Ebay and forums and the prices are really high. Is there any particular reason their resale value is so high 7ish years later?

2. jimbob200521

jimbob200521 Gawd

They're still a solid performing option, plain and simple. DDR4 isn't enough of a performance increase (although there is an increase) but I would imagine much of it is due to what I do: upgrade your CPU with an unlocked Xeon. There are several unlocked xeons out there for cheap. I nabbed a cheap Xeon 6 core unlocked CPU not long ago and have been happily using the 6c/12t CPU at 4.2ghz quite happily since. Plus, for me, it's not worth the several hundred plus dollar price tag to go to a newer platform when I won't see a benefit in performance really. Sure, there's m.2, USB 10g, and a few other newer specs but I feel little to no need to have those right now.

My next step will probably X99 when I can find the right deal. I love the enthusiast platform even though it's totally overkill for me.

TheHig and JSumrall like this.
  3. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Because there is very high demand for them. ebay is flooded with cheap x79 xeons.

And the same goes for x99 as well. Used X99 compatible xeons are going down in price which means x99 boards will go up if not already gone up.

TheHig likes this.
  4. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Same thing happened with X58 motherboards a couple years back. The Xeons in business environments reach upgrade time and they flood the market with cheap CPU's with high core counts, etc.

defaultluser and TheHig like this.
  5. TheHig

TheHig Gawd

Previous posts pretty much sum it up. If you already have the board or get one cheap x79 is still plenty good enough. Also super fun to overclock those unlocked Xeons. Get into it for cheap or fun but AM4 is a better investment long term.

I have a e5 1650v2 at 4.4 and it hangs close enough with first gen Ryzen 1600 and even 2600. My Son is on the 1600 and I went up to the 3900x to make the upgrade feel worth it from the Xeon.

With that said used Ryzen parts are easy to get and much more relevant and have a solid upgrade path as well. DDR4 is cheap now etc. Picked up my Son’s 1600, B450 pro carbon board and 16gb ram for less than 200 bucks. An oveclocking x79 board and a 1650 Xeon is that or more so..

N4CR likes this.
  6. JSumrall

JSumrall Limp Gawd

Thanks guys! Your responses make sense and pretty much what I thought as well.

7. jimbob200521

jimbob200521 Gawd

I think buying into X79 at this point doesn't make sense BUUUTTT if you already have the board, the CPU's can be had at near dirt cheap prices. I think I got the 1650v2 I have now for around $50 which I consider a steal.

N4CR and TheHig like this.
  8. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

X79 Xeons were the last gen to allow overclock. I don’t think x99 Xeons do.

So the trend of Intels HEDT platforms commanding exceptionally high premiums on the used market, years after release are numbered. The high core count Ryzens now outperform the high core count x79 and x99 CPUs pretty much universally. There is no reason for x99 (which I have now) to command a premium in the future. 18 core Intels with 2.0Ghz clock speeds and no overclock functionality won’t excite when Ryzen 12 and 16 core processors at twice the clock speed are available for little more.

9. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

Not to mention that over time, an old board can develop "problems." Right now some of the memory slots in my 2013 ASUS P9X79Pro don't seem to work, so I'm running with only 16 GB instead of the original 32 GB. I haven't had the time lately to do all of the testing necessary to establish if it is the memory SIMMs or the motherboard. And if some of the A1-D1 slots are bad, can I use the A2-D2 slots.

Since I plan to upgrade my rig early next year, and downgrade my current MB/CPU/RAM to a secondary system, I might just test the RAM, and if it's OK, just sell it on eBay. The RAM itself is pretty new, since Corsair sent me a new set of 4 SIMMs to replace some defective SIMMs. Have to love a lifetime guarantee.

10. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok [H]ard|Gawd

I recall checking a while back on eBay for x79 boards for a workstation build thinking to go the “cheap Xeon” route. Plus the ddr3 server memory was dirt cheap.

Name brand used boards were expensive but I found a number of no-name ones, a few even with m.2 slots and claimed support for nvme drives.

ended up buying a used Precision instead, decided it would be easier than a fully custom setup, but I later found some user reports that the boards I’d been looking at worked fine.

11. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

This. You can get dirt cheap x79 Xeon server and workstation pulls on eBay, many of which overclock well.

People going this route need motherboards.