X79 SR-2-Two Teaser

R-Type

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2011
Thought I'd share a post from the Motherboard section for those who don't venture out of the DC subforum.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037912420#post1037912420
428844095.jpg

If legit, that ram slot placement is a bit troubling. It would seem that if you wanted to populate all 12 slots that you could run into a performance decrease like you see with asymmetrical dual channel configurations on desktop boards.

lol um yeah that looks pretty fake to me.. you have 8(4x4) slots for one socket and only 4(2x2) for the second socket? makes absolutely no sense.. yeah look at me, i can run 32GB of ram on one cpu and only 16GB on the second one..

One of the "objectives" is to fit as many pci-e slots as possible. Only makes sense to reduce the memory slot footprint, in that mind.

lol um yeah that looks pretty fake to me.. you have 8(4x4) slots for one socket and only 4(2x2) for the second socket? makes absolutely no sense.. yeah look at me, i can run 32GB of ram on one cpu and only 16GB on the second one..

No actually, it's from an EVGA rep.
http://twitpic.com/73bm7z

There is a difference between 'things you haven't seen before' and 'fake'. ;)

could the 2x2 slots be for one cpu use only, why anyone would buy this sort of board and only use one cpu...

The LGA2011 platform cpu's have quad channel memory.
One socket has 2 dimm's per channel, the other only has 1 dimm per channel.

The uneven RAM channels thing should perform the same as if you put 6GB on one SR-2 CPU and 3GB for the other CPU.

Maybe the 6 slots close to the edge are all for one CPU and the 6 slots inboard are all for the other. Just because slots are surrounding a socket doesn't mean they are associated with it. Trace lengths are still pretty short.

I would love to upgrade to this monster. I'm not too worried about the mobo price, but what are the processors expected to cost (non-Extra Spicy)?

I don't think two overclocked sb-e chips are going to beat out 4p G34 on cost/ppd metrics, however they should be unrivaled in workstation performance. One of these as your DD with a linux vm folding would be SWEET.:D

Those look like 2 different sockets to me. One 1366 socket and one 2011 which would explain the tri-channel memory setup for one of them and a quad-channel for the other though for the life of me I can't figure out why EVGA would build something like that and still call it an SR-3. Would you even be able to use both chips in tandem even? Or am I completely crazy here?

Those look like 2 different sockets to me. One 1366 socket and one 2011 which would explain the tri-channel memory setup for one of them and a quad-channel for the other though for the life of me I can't figure out why EVGA would build something like that and still call it an SR-3. Would you even be able to use both chips in tandem even? Or am I completely crazy here?
They're both socket 2011's... They're just rotated 180 degrees.

Maybe for single-socket use while you save up for the second processor but want to keep the same about of memory.

I can understand the RAM layout.

If you want a single socket setup, but with the OC and insane PCIe lanes, this is still the only board for the job. Still want to cram a bunch of RAM on with only one chip? Sure will will give you 2 sockets per lane.

If you have the 2nd chip in play, you have the slots for it now. I have a hard time thinking people will be crying that they can only put 4gb X 8 in one system.

Ah-hah!

http://pcper.com/news/Motherboards/EVGA-Shows-Drool-Worthy-Dual-Xeon-Sandy-Bridge-E-SR3-Motherboard

One processor will have access to eight DDR3 DIMM slots while the other will have access to four DDR3 DIMM slots. While the RAM configuration may seem odd, EVGA wanted to make the transition from the boards SR2 predecesor as easy as possible, by allowing users to transfer all 12, triple channel DIMMs to the new SR3 motherboard. When all 12 RAM slots are populated, the board will run in triple channel mode, and when four or eight slots are populated, the motherboard will utilize the new quad channel interface.

But when are they going to get rid of all those stupid pci-e slots? I really what an "SR-3 Light" version of this thing for real server applications, with OB crappy video, no USB3 or half the other garbage, and a more reasonable price tag. $600+ motherboards are getting old...

But when are they going to get rid of all those stupid pci-e slots? I really what an "SR-3 Light" version of this thing for real server applications, with OB crappy video, no USB3 or half the other garbage, and a more reasonable price tag. $600+ motherboards are getting old...

Thing is, by adding an $8 chip they can tack on another $25-50 bucks to the price tag. And when you won't be selling these outside the true [H]ard core customer. A single top end modle is what we get.

BTW, did you all see the # of power connectors?!

Word. 1/2 height server board with only 1 Pci-E would be AWESOME. So much power in such a small space. Knock the price down by $100, and I'd be all over that.

My other concern is the stability of the board. SR-2s are known to require some TLC and lots of BIOS fiddling to get a decent overclock. For example, I just noticed my SR-2 is not seeing one DIMM. If I could replace the SR-2 with a rock-solid board, I'd definitely upgrade.

I hope they move the 24 pin connector, it's the same place on the SR-2 and it's a terrible position for it imo. Not having tons of ram slots is not a big issue since I would not do serious work on this sort of board anyway but having a bit more space for some airflow would be nice.

can someone tell who would need 7 pci-e slots? And do 1X pci-e cards like sounds cards work in the 16X slots?

can someone tell who would need 7 pci-e slots? And do 1X pci-e cards like sounds cards work in the 16X slots?

1x/4x/8x compatability in 16x slots varies with motherboard manufacturer and model. However given the board has ONLY 16x slots, you would assume they would make damn sure it works.

FWIW my pci-e 1x Intel nic works fine in the 16x slots on both of my SR-2's.

1x/4x/8x compatability in 16x slots varies with motherboard manufacturer and model. However given the board has ONLY 16x slots, you would assume they would make damn sure it works.

FWIW my pci-e 1x Intel nic works fine in the 16x slots on both of my SR-2's.

PCIe spec calls for it to be compatible, it has to work or else it isn't in spec.

Looks like I picked the right week to start folding again. Any news on what sapphire have in the pipeline? Since they scooped EVGA's talent, some competition here would be welcomed.

I am curious as to how they will do the pcie slots... hint all may not be active with only 1 cpu....
then again... you don't buy this board for 1 cpu...

I am curious as to how they will do the pcie slots... hint all may not be active with only 1 cpu....
then again... you don't buy this board for 1 cpu...

With an UEFI bios, this board might be able to support a full load of 7 gpu's sporting single slot waterblocks (or bitminer style ribbon extenders). While GPU folding is currently out of favor, Stanford's willingness to drastically play around with the point structure means this may be a useful feature at some point.

Basically just an SR2 with 2011 sockets. Not a bad thing I suppose. Seriously though, why not 4 more dimm slots?

Also, ffs, its not using the x79 chipset.

Back