X79 Deluxe - WIFI stopped working

kaigne

n00b
The onboard wifi was working the night before with no issues. Booted up when i got home and there are no connections listed. I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers but that has no effect. I even restored the system drive with acronis to a week before. I tried clearing cmos and disabling/enabling in bios to no avail. Device manager shows no prblems with drivers. Windows diagnostic reports a problem with adapter but doesn't help much beyond that. It's almost like the wifi radio died all the sudden. I had to put in an old netgear usb adapter and it works fine. I'm not sure what else to do to troubleshoot it.

Yay asus support says RMA that damn thing. How the fuck do I get a dead P9x79 WS and now a X79 Deluxe with dead wifi?

I cant see that as a problem seeing that the wifi sits between the back fan and noctua.

Two in a row is not normal at all. Things I'd debug:

1) Remove any overclock from the system in case something is causing the wifi controller not to be reset.

2) Update UEFI to the latest version if not done so already.

3) I am assuming that Windows is a genuine retail version that is fully registered and updated? I have seen Win 8 block network connections like this and I have seen the OS go corrupt at times due to instability. On a system I had running here, one of the Windows networking components that prompts to identify if it's a public or shared network would not work. I had to reinstall the OS to get it working again. The symptoms were similar to yours there.

4) Only other thing I can think of is if the signal is weak for some reason - antennae issue?

-Raja

It isn't OC'ed currently
Updated bios - no effect
Windows repair/windows restore/acronis image (even different restore points) - didnt work
Reinstalled Win 7 (genuine OEM) - didn't work

There's a dozen wireless I can see in my neighborhood on all my other devices. I had excellent strength on the onboard before it died. The antenna was never moved but I did unplug it and reconnect it. Asus support guy said if the full win 7 reinstall didn't fix it, its a hardware failure and to RMA the board. It's just over a week old so it pisses me off to no end to have to RMA a second asus MB in 3 weeks (the other wouldn't post, beep, or display any codes. I don't want to believe the radio just died but I have searched all over the net for a solution. It's tough to search for this as most of the solutions pertain to laptops having the wifi switch turned off:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Here's what you need to do...... First, can you send this board to the retailer in exchange for a new one? That way you get to eliminate ASUS RMA.

if you are going to RMA your board to ASUS......

1) take pictures of the board before you package it. Note the serial number.

2) package it like it was your mother's board.

3) include a note in big giant letters explaining what's wrong. Document which tech gave you the RMA number.

4) Good luck, lately there haven't been too many good ASUS RMA stories.

Here's what you need to do...... First, can you send this board to the retailer in exchange for a new one? That way you get to eliminate ASUS RMA.

if you are going to RMA your board to ASUS......

1) take pictures of the board before you package it. Note the serial number.

2) package it like it was your mother's board.

3) include a note in big giant letters explaining what's wrong. Document which tech gave you the RMA number.

4) Good luck, lately there haven't been too many good ASUS RMA stories.

It's being RMAed to newegg. I'm going to video the whole repack. I had no problems with the first motherboard RMA about 3 weeks ago. Newegg took it no problem and immediately next day'ed this current one.

Add me to the short list. My wifi just stopped working after 2-3 weeks as well... Suddenly no connections listed. I'll probably have to run this back to microcenter this week.

No real solution here; just commiseration. Apparently, this is an issue a number of X79 Deluxe owners have been experiencing—check over at Tom's Hardware to see similar posts.

Here’re all the trouble shooting steps I took before getting an RMA from Asus:

• Checked and reinstalled latest drivers
  • Reset BIOS and made sure wifi was turned on
  • Restored Windows to earlier, working state
  • Reinstalled Windows from scratch

So, the “solution,” it would appear, is to get an RMA from Asus.

Might be interesting for folks who have this issue to post here saying so, just to get an idea of numbers.

Once I get my board back, I’ll post here for an update…

I had the No-Wifi Issue on my second X79 Deluxe. This one, while I do have wifi, it just kind of..times out a lot. Does anyone else have That problem? Whenever I tracert google.com It'll timeout somewhere between the 7th and 9th hops. Although ping tests are usually pretty good..which is weird. Because I'll get high pings in the TraceRt pretty consistently, but ping test is always normal(18-30ms pinging google.com). Anyone else have this problem? Also worth noting that I have problems on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

It's Asus RMA, you'd be years ahead to just buy a new one and forget ever owning the old one.

Just to add another X79 Deluxe owner who had the same problem, mine occurred 3 days after build after a boot up from sleep. I tried all of the above suggestions, driver re-installation, bios update, CMOS clear and finally OEM Win 7 64 re installation but to no avail. I RMA back to vendor today. Just hope the replacement does not repeat this odd fault :(

Am I the only person who doesn't use WiFi on a desktop? Gigabit LAN is so much more reliable.

Am I the only person who doesn't use WiFi on a desktop? Gigabit LAN is so much more reliable.

It's nice to have as an option, and knowing that it's at the very least a power card/antenna combo.

If I move out for school, I'll likely need to go wireless, saves me the hassle.

Back