X79 dark pice issues

tunatime

Well...OK
In slot 1 and 3 i should be able to run in 16x16 but even if i tun all my other slots off. Slot 3 wont go past 8x in bios or Windows even if i set it to 16x. I did have a gpu die in that slot could it have 1/2 fired the slot? Interestingly the nvidia control panel shows it as 16x but gpuz shows it at 8x

Does this sound like a bad mb? I looked at all the pins on the slot and they look good and as far as i can tell clean. Any one have any tricks i could try?

It could be that GPU-Z is showing it wrong.

Also, are you checking in GPU-Z at idle or under load?

A lot of cards will drop the slot speed if the card is idle.

It could be that GPU-Z is showing it wrong.

Also, are you checking in GPU-Z at idle or under load?

A lot of cards will drop the slot speed if the card is idle.

Load and my bios shows it at 8x and i ran some kind of pice bandwidth test thing and it looks to be running at 8x speed. What are the odds its the mb vs the cpu? Is there a good way to clean the slot out?

I have seen a dead pcie slot before but not a 1/2 bad one

Did some more testing slot 4 which is the 8x pair to slot 4 only runs at 1x so its like its not getting the lanes form the cpu? Slot 1 runs at the full 16x slot 2 runs at 8x and slot 5 and 6 both run at 8x. Its 100% stable. Other then slot 3 and 4 are not getting the full lanes

Does this sound more like a bum cpu or mb?

What motherboard is it? Does it have any limitations on pcie bandwidth with say a m2 SSD installed for instance and you have one in there? Someone may be able to help with some more information provided on the whole system.
Edit didn't notice that mobo was in the thread title.

Last edited:
Back