x58 motherboard

antok86

[H]F Junkie
i have an old i7 920 cpu that i want to use to make a computer for my brother...looking for a used motherboard i am suprised that old x58 mobos are so expensive! why are they so expensive when the cpu for them are so cheap.

Because the Westmere Xeons work like gangbusters in most X58 motherboards which gives you a 6 core 12 thread CPU with close to Sandy Bridge IPC that hits 4.2 to 4.4 GHz in a lot of cases.
And, the CPU's are cheap on eBay.

I am getting ready to sell my X5650 and might go full retard on a X5690 if I can find that guy selling them for 189.00. :D

There is probably a thread that could be written on this being a thing cause AMD sucks so bad on CPU but...
My R2G is worth almost what I paid for it new on a good sale so... I ain't complaining.

Last edited:
I once had dreams of building a x58 board to use my Xeon 6 core and pile of DDR3 1333 ram, but they died off in search of a affordable board. To make it harder I wanted mATX, 250-300$ at least.

Good luck. ohh, and dont look at the power consumption the rig as a whole will use... your wife might not let you leave it on too long :)

Yeah, I've got my old x58 machine in production still for my girlfriend.

Has my i7 950 on the Rampage 3 Formula board with 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133, admittedly better RAM than I have even for my current machine, but finding a matching 4GB stick sucked at the time when I needed a dual channel set for the new machine.

Anyway, yeah, probably cheaper to sell your 920 and pick up a combo somewhere with the prices of boards where they are right now.

Yeah, I've got my old x58 machine in production still for my girlfriend.

Has my i7 950 on the Rampage 3 Formula board with 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133, admittedly better RAM than I have even for my current machine, but finding a matching 4GB stick sucked at the time when I needed a dual channel set for the new machine.

Anyway, yeah, probably cheaper to sell your 920 and pick up a combo somewhere with the prices of boards where they are right now.

yea nobody really wants a i7 920 tho

yea nobody really wants a i7 920 tho

Ya you wont get much at all. I sold an I7 950 for $45 (after 2-3 on the forums here and numerous price drops) and I basically gave away my I7 920 to a buddy since no one would even bite for $20.

It's because you can pick up a X5650 for around $80 (might be more now).

Nobody will even give you shipping for a 920.
Better to make it into a keychain.

that much demand still? Man I was thinking of selling some x58 boards with 920's for like 150 and had not decided if I was going to include 6 gigs of ram. I even have a few sr-2's I was thinking of selling as well.

Ya you wont get much at all. I sold an I7 950 for $45 (after 2-3 on the forums here and numerous price drops) and I basically gave away my I7 920 to a buddy since no one would even bite for $20.

It's because you can pick up a X5650 for around $80 (might be more now).

Still at $70-80 on ebay.

that much demand still? Man I was thinking of selling some x58 boards with 920's for like 150 and had not decided if I was going to include 6 gigs of ram. I even have a few sr-2's I was thinking of selling as well.

Those SR-2's with two X5650s would be monsters.

Back