X58 Motherboard Preview: ASUS P6T Deluxe

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Intel’s X58 chipset is getting a lot of press this week due to IDF. Bit-tech got a sneak-peek at one of ASUS’ X58 motherboards, the P6T Deluxe. Follow the jump for pics and a feature list. Can’t wait to see this on the test bench here!

so why the need for 6 memory slots?? i read in another thread that you have to have three DDR3 dims to get the memory thru put, any truth to that?

i cant edit my original post so here is another....specs show that there are 3 slots for the ddr3 to run in triple channel mode....my bad

So ASUS ran out of letters? I've still got a micro-ATX version of the P4T in my oldest computer (P4/1.7, 512MB RDRAM, 9700 Pro, XP). From the P4T to the P4C to the P5K, I've never had a problem with their motherboards.

so why the need for 6 memory slots?? i read in another thread that you have to have three DDR3 dims to get the memory thru put, any truth to that?

Nehalem (Core i7) supports running memory in triple channel (vs. the Dual Channel of before).

So ASUS ran out of letters?

Nah, it's because there's finally a new socket. In ASUS' naming scheme where x can stand in for any letter, P4x means socket 478, P5x means LGA 775, and P6x means LGA 1366 (and possibly LGA 1160 too, as it's the same generation; not sure, though).

They certainly did seem to be running out of letters for LGA 775 though, as it was a long-running socket.

Go back to two PS/2 ports on your better mainboards ASUS, and I'll look at your product. I'm not asking for a ton of legacy stuff, but that's a requirement (I use a KVM, and an IBM Model M keyboard), and it's not like it would be all that difficult.

Er, 5000 hour caps? I hope that's a typo. SAS controller looks nice, though.

Back