X570 Tomahawk 2.5GBE NIC issues

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
I got this system up and running a week or so ago and this is my only issue. I get full download speeds but upload speed is terrible. I have Google Fiber and also transfer large files across my LAN and both show really bad upload speeds, in the less than 100 Megabit range. Download speeds are fine. A Macbook Pro sitting next to it plugged into the same switch is fine and the motherboard I had before this with an Intel NIC was fine so its 100% the Realtek 8125B. I've used the drivers from MSI and I've used the latest and greatest from Realtek which are the Win10_10043_08212020 but had the same results. Anyone else have a similar issue?

To illustrate how bad...
10056193593.png

Disregard. Found out my Cisco switch and this Realtek don't play nice. Still not thrilled with having a Realtek NIC for the first time in 20 years.

Thanks for the update. This should be useful for anyone else dealing with the issue.

I recently built a powerful router and was deciding between two motherboards: Asus TUF B550 and Asus Strix B550-F.
The deciding factor was purely the fact that the Strix had Intel's 2.5 gigabit chip.

Looks like I made a good choice. Thanks for the info, OP.

Yeah, Realtek nics can become a gigantic time suck.
I fought a Realtek audio problem that reminded me why I keep a pcie audio card on the shelf.

All these guys building SFF boxes wonder why we waste all the space on larger boards. It's bc sometimes we need to populate slots with more than just gpus.

Buildzoif likes to complain about rear up, well I've been known to buy usb cards.

Disregard. Found out my Cisco switch and this Realtek don't play nice. Still not thrilled with having a Realtek NIC for the first time in 20 years.

If you bypass the switch, does it fix the speed problem?

Hopefully this will be fixable with a driver update at some point.

If you bypass the switch, does it fix the speed problem?

Hopefully this will be fixable with a driver update at some point.

Yep, I bypassed and went though a Dlink DGS-1100 and it works fine. I replaced the Cisco with another Dlink and all is fine. I guess whatever Realtek is doing is not compatible with all switches...

Just curious..... did it negotiate a 1Gbps connection on the Cisco, or a lower connect rate?

Is it an old Cisco switch?

ETA: Is the Cisco a managed switch, upgradable firmware?

Just curious..... did it negotiate a 1Gbps connection on the Cisco, or a lower connect rate?

Is it an old Cisco switch?

ETA: Is the Cisco a managed switch, upgradable firmware?

Not old, but a simple unmanaged Cisco. It did negotiate to 1000 baseT.

I recently built a powerful router and was deciding between two motherboards: Asus TUF B550 and Asus Strix B550-F.
The deciding factor was purely the fact that the Strix had Intel's 2.5 gigabit chip.

Looks like I made a good choice. Thanks for the info, OP.

And I was tempted to return my Strix B550 Gaming - F and buy the Asus Tuf B550 from Newegg instead. (I would save myself $50.) Now, it sounds like that temptation has been squashed, thanks. However, do you think the Realtek LAN is in no way going to work right with a Netgear Gaming router?

And I was tempted to return my Strix B550 Gaming - F and buy the Asus Tuf B550 from Newegg instead. (I would save myself $50.) Now, it sounds like that temptation has been squashed, thanks. However, do you think the Realtek LAN is in no way going to work right with a Netgear Gaming router?

It certainly might work, but I was building a NAS Router so I wanted speed and compatibility on the network level to be perfect.

I was matching my roommate's motherboard with Intel 2.5 ethernet to the board I was using to make my internet router and NAS machine, so I didn't want incompatibility with Realtek vs Intel.

IMO if at all possible I'd skip the 2.5GBE and just go plain old reliable Intel Gigabit. Unless you have a switch and server and IO on the server capable of the higher speeds its worthless and only causes issues like the one I ran into above.

Yeah, the only reason I went with 2.5 gigabit was because my friend was using ITX and couldn't upgrade.
My own computer and router will both have proper 10 gigabit NICs in them.

It certainly might work, but I was building a NAS Router so I wanted speed and compatibility on the network level to be perfect.

I was matching my roommate's motherboard with Intel 2.5 ethernet to the board I was using to make my internet router and NAS machine, so I didn't want incompatibility with Realtek vs Intel.

Thanks for the information. I ended up buying an MSI B550 Gaming plus instead, because it has a usb C header and is $40 cheaper. I also never would have used the extra 4 pin power connector, RGB addressable headers nor the thunderbolt 3 header on the Asus B550 Gaming - F. (Never would have used the 2.5Gbe either.) I returned the Gaming - F since the only other machine I had that would be upgrade ready has an Asrock X370 Taichi and I would not have benefited from replacing that board.

I got this system up and running a week or so ago and this is my only issue. I get full download speeds but upload speed is terrible. I have Google Fiber and also transfer large files across my LAN and both show really bad upload speeds, in the less than 100 Megabit range. Download speeds are fine. A Macbook Pro sitting next to it plugged into the same switch is fine and the motherboard I had before this with an Intel NIC was fine so its 100% the Realtek 8125B. I've used the drivers from MSI and I've used the latest and greatest from Realtek which are the Win10_10043_08212020 but had the same results. Anyone else have a similar issue?

To illustrate how bad...
View attachment 277818
That Realtek 8125 chip is not that bad just go to Realtek's site and make sure to download the latest windows drivers for it. Also make sure you have flow control and IEEE power savings turn off.

That Realtek 8125 chip is not that bad just go to Realtek's site and make sure to download the latest windows drivers for it. Also make sure you have flow control and IEEE power savings turn off.
Yep, got their latest drivers. Still wish it had a plain ole Intel Gigabit. This is a good example of bs marketing bringing down a product in quality, not up. If they stayed with a solid Intel NIC the average Joe would look at the mobo and the competitors and think it's a downgrade despite the fact that he'll see virtually no gains in speed and likely a drop in reliability. The number of folks who have LAN side transfers are small, then take the number who have faster than a 1GB switch, then take the number who's destination has faster than a 1GB NIC, and you're down to like .000001% of the user base.

Yep, got their latest drivers. Still wish it had a plain ole Intel Gigabit. This is a good example of bs marketing bringing down a product in quality, not up. If they stayed with a solid Intel NIC the average Joe would look at the mobo and the competitors and think it's a downgrade despite the fact that he'll see virtually no gains in speed and likely a drop in reliability. The number of folks who have LAN side transfers are small, then take the number who have faster than a 1GB switch, then take the number who's destination has faster than a 1GB NIC, and you're down to like .000001% of the user base.
unlike previous realtek nic's that particular chip is alot better and is on par with an intel nic. I have a pcie 1x card with that chip running perfectly fine in BSD. Which is pretty remarkable.

Did you install the GameFirst software they give you?

If so, uninstall it. It fucks with the connection.

I'm surprised you're having issues, Realtek network chips are generally better than a lot of other brands on the market, especially with driver support. They quite literally support almost everything, even weird old machines most people have never heard of or used in decades, and even provide driver source to roll your own if need be. It's a lot better than can be said with companies like Broadcom or Atheros, which have some of the shittiest broken drivers since forever, especially those Killer LAN chips that kill themselves.

I'd suspect a shoddy cable that isn't up to the task of 2.5GBe, or the fact that the standard is sort of an afterthought and companies may have adopted it at different points in its lifetime, resulting in compatibility issues. This is certainly a problem with wireless standards moving as fast as it has been in the last several years, you have all of these weird half standards or proprietary vendor only standards that require that both the client and AP are the same vendor, and made around the same time.

what cisco swtich do you have?

I have a CISCO SYSTEMS 24-Port Gigabit Switch (SG11224NA) and two tomahawk x570 mobos waiting for 5900x CPUs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep, I bypassed and went though a Dlink DGS-1100 and it works fine. I replaced the Cisco with another Dlink and all is fine. I guess whatever Realtek is doing is not compatible with all switches...
That would be some annoyance, since the switch chip for the SG110D (dunno about other variants) is a Realtek IC, lol.

It's an SG110.
I shitcanned the SG300 switch at my office because it had serious issues running actual wire speed gigabit over multiple links so perhaps that switch you have also has some weird "cisco smb" issues as well. I've never had good experiences with their products, a guy we switched from 1 ISP to another the WAN1 port on his RV router would just not take the static IP but the WAN2 port would so yeah that was pretty weird, it also requires like 3 reboots for it to actually bring up VPNs after they drop lol. It always makes me wonder if there are any actually decent "smb" network equipment brands out there since netgear is horrible garbage too although usually their issue is ports die on the switch and never work again.

Back