x570 or x670 for Zen 3 Build

imsirovic5

Limp Gawd
So I am fairly certain I will be switching to AMD Zen 3 from Intel for my next build. I am not the type to change CPUs or Motherboards frequently as I am still using my 4790K that I purchased back in 2014. Having said that, I was curious if there are any pros or cons for using x570 over upcoming x670. I assume x570 are going to be more cost effective and more proven / reliable given how long they have been in the marketplace (not to mention more choice). They will also both have have PCIe 4 as PCIe 5 is still long way ahead. I also plan on getting 3080 Ti for gaming at 4K, so I dont see the new processor to be a bottleneck at this resolution for foreseeable future (mitigating the need to upgrade to new CPU for many generations). On the other hand, based on my research X570 chipsets may run significantly warmer than their predecessors as this extra heat is the price to pay for speedy PCIe 4.0 connectivity. X670 may change this, and it is possible that the primary goal of X670 is to reduce the amount of heat expelled from the chipset and return to cheaper, fanless chipset cooling solutions. So having said all of that, just curious which chipset would most people opt for (if CPU upgrade path was not an issue)?

Well your question is quite frankly impossible to answer given that we know very little about x670 yet. Assumptions are not really helpful.

What we do know is that x570 is going to be compatible with Zen 3 (4000 series), perhaps requiring a BIOS update at most. Zen 4 will likely require a new socket. So there would be no point in waiting for x670 for CPU compatibility reasons. x570 should be able to run the latest and greatest CPUs that they will ever release for AM4.

I can say that from my personal experience, I don't believe that the x570 chipset cooling fan is an issue. It is on a fan curve, and on most boards you don't even have the option to set an aggressive custom fan curve. Instead, most boards only allow you to choose from 3 presets, the most aggressive of which still allows the fan to turn off at lower temperatures. If you have good case airflow over the chipset heatsink, it's entirely possible to have a configuration where the chipset fan almost never even turns on.

Do we even know if there will be an x670 For AM4 for a fact? I can’t really fathom what more it can offer over x570 while still on the same socket and still using DDR4. the only reason I can see for it’s existence is for amd to ensure there are compatible boards right out of the box for Zen 3 vs having a bunch of people trying to figure out how to update a bios.

I’m pretty sure there was word going around that there will be a X670 chipset and that AMD outsourced its development to a third party this time around. I don’t think there will be too much more to offer but I wouldn’t be surprised if they find a way to lower its TDP so that passive cooling could be used across the board. That alone would be a big selling point at least for me and many others.

Doesn't seem worth waiting for if that's the biggest change. I wasn't crazy about the actively cooled chipset initially either but after living with this system since release, I haven't been able to tell one bit of difference between it and every other system I've ever built in terms of fan noise or anything like that.

Now as far as AMD is concerned, if this also has the effect of making the boards cheaper to produce, then it makes more sense.

Are we just making up chipsets and processors now?

hay guys, should I build my zen 5 system today? Will b350 chipset support ddr5? I haven’t played since dance dance revolution 2 so do I need to undervolt my 4080ti to keep it quiet on air?

My understanding was that X570 and the forthcoming B550 was going to just carry over to Zen3 and then Zen4 and future processors would start with the X670.

My understanding was that X570 and the forthcoming B550 was going to just carry over to Zen3 and then Zen4 and future processors would start with the X670.

This would make far more sense for my brain to wrap around. I just dont see any good reason for an x670 to exist on AM4

Unless you are buying a 3000 series chip to run until then I would wait as with how the different mobo vendors had various success with bios updates when 3000 series released it would be best to wait for reviews and user feedback imo.

Well I decided not to wait. Micro Center got some boards in stock today and I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi X570 board Not quite what I wanted (no post code LED display but it has the 4 boot LEDS and it has WIFI) but has enough features that I can make it work and should be happy with it. I mainly wanted a board that could do dual 8X video cards to run two cards in the system (not running SLI, using the second card to boost the CUDA core count for rendering). I also went with a Ryzen 7 3700X and will sell it if Zen 3 is that big of a performance jump over Zen 2. Looks like AMD already has some refreshes coming out to burst Intel's bubble (Ryzen 7 3750X & 3850X). Since this is more than a gaming `puter, I also picked up 32 GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series CL16 memory. Will be moving the rest of my signature over to the new system. Picked up a cheap Zalman Z9 case from Fry's (I consider anything under $100.00 cheap and I wanted an optical drive bay as I watch rented movies on this thing too). It seems well built and not to bad for a budget case.

Well I decided not to wait. Micro Center got some boards in stock today and I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi X570 board Not quite what I wanted (no post code LED display but it has the 4 boot LEDS and it has WIFI) but has enough features that I can make it work and should be happy with it. I mainly wanted a board that could do dual 8X video cards to run two cards in the system (not running SLI, using the second card to boost the CUDA core count for rendering). I also went with a Ryzen 7 3700X and will sell it if Zen 3 is that big of a performance jump over Zen 2. Looks like AMD already has some refreshes coming out to burst Intel's bubble (Ryzen 7 3750X & 3850X). Since this is more than a gaming `puter, I also picked up 32 GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series CL16 memory. Will be moving the rest of my signature over to the new system. Picked up a cheap Zalman Z9 case from Fry's (I consider anything under $100.00 cheap and I wanted an optical drive bay as I watch rented movies on this thing too). It seems well built and not to bad for a budget case.
How did the build come out? Are you happy with the CPU and motherboard? Have any gaming benchmarks?

I’m pretty sure there was word going around that there will be a X670 chipset and that AMD outsourced its development to a third party this time around. I don’t think there will be too much more to offer but I wouldn’t be surprised if they find a way to lower its TDP so that passive cooling could be used across the board. That alone would be a big selling point at least for me and many others.
B550 is doing this selling point, unless you need all the PCI-E4 connections.

How did the build come out? Are you happy with the CPU and motherboard? Have any gaming benchmarks?
Haven't been abe to start it yet. I decided not to use the Zalman case I bought and ordered a Cooler Master H500P Mesh case from Amazon and Amazon is slow walking my case. It won't be here until tomorrow. I have been going nuts staring at the boxes with my board, CPU & Memory since Tuesday when I ordered the case.

Haven't been abe to start it yet. I decided not to use the Zalman case I bought and ordered a Cooler Master H500P Mesh case from Amazon and Amazon is slow walking my case. It won't be here until tomorrow. I have been going nuts staring at the boxes with my board, CPU & Memory since Tuesday when I ordered the case.
bench test all that while waiting on the case.

Reactions: c3k
like this
I've had systems running on their boxes bc I can't be bothered to buy a test bench.

Better than letting parts just sit when you can use the wait time to RMA items that might have issues.
that all i really meant, dont have to have one of those fancy "open bench" cases. a mobo box works just fine.

bench test all that while waiting on the case.
I've had systems running on their boxes bc I can't be bothered to buy a test bench.

Better than letting parts just sit when you can use the wait time to RMA items that might have issues.
Wasn't able to bench test as this was an upgrade, not a new buiild. Had to move the video card PSU, SSD & hard drives over from my old build but check out the new sig. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You just described my last 5 swaps in the past 2 years.

Z270 - X299 - several B450 - current Sig

I bench test bc even if nothing is wrong parts wise plumbing it back together is annoying.

Specifically setting fan curves to headers I can't seem or if I'm air cooling getting my hand into tight places.

Back