X570 Motherboard without Problems?!

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra as its pretty much the ideal motherboard for my use. Unfortunately, what didn’t come up in my initial research was coil whine. It appears that several GIGABYTE X570 motherboards suffer from coil whine after researching it further. It comes from the CPU/VRM area, it’s not the chipset fan.

I tried to see if I could tolerate it but after a few days I notice it every time I use my PC. As a result, I’m going to return the board and pick another one up.

Anyone have a personal recommendation for a ~$300 X570 motherboard that doesn’t appear to have any inherent issues or loud chipset fan?

NEW PROBLEM: Now I’m having an issue with the MSI MEG X570 Unify that I didn’t have with my Gigabyte motherboard. Whenever I wake the computer up from sleep, my RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 has an issue where the middle fan maxes out and 3 red LEDs appear next to the molex connectors. I have to full power down the PC to reset the issue.

This didn’t happen in with my previous Gigabyte motherboard and doesn’t happen when I plug the GPU into my second system. Interestingly enough my 1080 Ti FTW3 from my second system doesn’t have any issues with my MSI motherboard. So this issue is specific to the MSI X570 Unify and the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 combination.

MSI technical support says this isn’t an issue with their motherboard and EVGA says it isn’t their GPU. I’m starting to regret building a new PC now.

Last edited:
I bought a GIGABYTE X570 Auros Ultra as its pretty much the ideal motherboard for my use. Unfortunately, what didn’t come up in my initial research was coil whine. It appears that several GIGABYTE X570 motherboards suffer from coil whine after researching it further. It comes from the CPU/VRM area, it’s not the chipset fan.

I tried to see if I could tolerate it but after a few days I notice it every time I use my PC. As a result, I’m going to return the board and pick another one up.

Anyone have a personal recommendation for a ~$300 X570 motherboard that doesn’t appear to have any inherent issues or loud chipset fan?
I brought a Auros master x570 and have no cool whine.

I brought a Auros master x570 and have no cool whine.
It’s not a problem with all GIGABYTE boards, it’s hit or miss. But it seems that it’s far more common on GIGABYTE boards than any other. Some people had to RMA their boards 1-2 times before receiving one that didn’t whine/buzz.

Personally, I just don’t want to go through the RMA lottery and would rather get a board without inherent issues.

I haven't had a problem with the Asus Prime X570-Pro board or the CH8 WiFi I had before that. I've heard good things about the Strix X570-E, but I haven't owned that personally.

I haven't had a problem with the Asus Prime X570-Pro board or the CH8 WiFi I had before that. I've heard good things about the Strix X570-E, but I haven't owned that personally.
The Asus X570-E and the MSI Meg X570 Unify are what I've narrowed my search down to. Both are $299 currently. The X570-E appears to have better LAN (2.5Gb and Gigabit Ports), better onboard audio, and RGB (not a big deal to me). The Unify has much better chipset fan placement (not directly underneath the GPU), dual 4 PIN CPU connectors that take some load off of the 24-pin connector, and a slightly better VRM cooling solution. Both have a power delivery set-up more than adequate for any Ryzen CPU you put in there.

Anyone have an opinion on Asus vs MSI motherboards?

I have the MSI X570 MEG Ace, it is the step up from the Unify as has dual-NIC's as you would like. The VRM is the same and it adds a little RGB to the mix. Basically the Unify is the not so many frills version of the Ace that I have. No coil whine on any MSI board I have owned, this is the 3rd one in a year as I updated from other boards.

I love my MSI Unify board, ZERO problems since building in November

I've been happy with the MSI creation in my sig, been problem free since I built it in november.

No coil whine on my Aorus Master, but there is a trend of an occasionally (every six weeks so far for me) completely unresponsive system that seems to not be getting power until you clear CMOS and remove the battery for a few minutes. All is then well afterwards. We have a separate thread with several others seeing the same behavior.

No coil whine on my Aorus Master, but there is a trend of an occasionally (every six weeks so far for me) completely unresponsive system that seems to not be getting power until you clear CMOS and remove the battery for a few minutes. All is then well afterwards. We have a separate thread with several others seeing the same behavior.
I haven't had that issue. I did have failure to boot issues that would reset BIOS setting to default. Since the F11 BIOS I had zero issues with it.

The only boards I used to buy were from Asus and Gigabyte. Gigabyte used to be some of the best in speed and such. When I purchased an X58 Gigabyte board it had really bad coil whine when playing a game only. I returned it for an Asus motherboard and have never purchased a Gigabyte motherboard for many years till recently because of that. The Asus X58 had at times some very minor whine but more mosquito at some odd times rather than crickets on crack; and not constantly during a game like the previous Gigabyte. This Z390 Aorus Pro is basically the same if ever there was a whine. In very-very minor circumstances is there any whine at all with my excellent/good hearing

I know how you feel but there are circumstances like your PSU that can contribute to this. I was compliant and ahead of the curve with an excellent PSU and UPS, and still had that whine in game. So, I do not know, but two things I can say caveat emptor and YMMV.

You may want to try another PSU if you have one available. I had an enermax 1050 that ended up causing coil whine in numerous GPUs over the years before I realized it was at fault.
The only boards I used to buy were from Asus and Gigabyte. Gigabyte used to be some of the best in speed and such. When I purchased an X58 Gigabyte board it had really bad coil whine when playing a game only. I returned it for an Asus motherboard and have never purchased a Gigabyte motherboard for many years till recently because of that. The Asus X58 had at times some very minor whine but more mosquito at some odd times rather than crickets on crack; and not constantly during a game like the previous Gigabyte. This Z390 Aorus Pro is basically the same if ever there was a whine. In very-very minor circumstances is there any whine at all with my excellent/good hearing

I know how you feel but there are circumstances like your PSU that can contribute to this. I was compliant and ahead of the curve with an excellent PSU and UPS, and still had that whine in game. So, I do not know, but two things I can say caveat emptor and YMMV.

It's definitely not the PSU or the GPU. I've swapped them both out with parts from my second rig and the coil whine was still there. I've found several threads on various forums complaining about coil whine/buzz near the VRMs (like mine) with Gigabyte's X570 boards so I'm 99% sure its the motherboard. I am returning the board for a full refund. It's a shame because aside from the coil whine its a fantastic board, but I don't feel like going through one or more replacements.

I have the MSI X570 MEG Ace, it is the step up from the Unify as has dual-NIC's as you would like. The VRM is the same and it adds a little RGB to the mix. Basically the Unify is the not so many frills version of the Ace that I have. No coil whine on any MSI board I have owned, this is the 3rd one in a year as I updated from other boards.

I already placed an order for the MSI X570 Unify. I've only read positive reviews/impressions about it. I was tempted to step up to the ACE but its currently $57 more. I won't ever use the extra gigabit LAN port and I don't care much for the RGB lights so its not worth the extra ~20% price premium for me.

Installed the new MSI X570 Unify motherboard tonight. No more coil whine! :D

On a side note - HOLY SHIT this motherboard is a tank, didn't expect it to be so heavy. The the metal heatsinks for the VRMs and even the metal shroud for the I/O makes it feel very substantial. This motherboard screams quality the moment you pick it up out of the box. Let's hope it performs as well as it feels!

I Have the Ace since the Unify wasn't in stock when I built, nice choice.

Now I’m having an issue with the MSI MEG X570 Unify that I didn’t have with my Gigabyte motherboard. Whenever I wake the computer up from sleep, my RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 has an issue where the middle fan maxes out and 3 red LEDs appear next to the molex connectors. I have to full power down the PC to reset the issue.

This didn’t happen in with my previous Gigabyte motherboard and doesn’t happen when I plug the GPU into my second system. Interestingly enough my 1080 Ti FTW3 from my second system doesn’t have any issues with my MSI motherboard. So this issue is specific to the MSI X570 Unify and the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3.

MSI technical support says this isn’t an issue with their motherboard and EVGA says it isn’t their GPU. I’m starting to regret building a new PC now.

The Asus X570-E and the MSI Meg X570 Unify are what I've narrowed my search down to. Both are $299 currently. The X570-E appears to have better LAN (2.5Gb and Gigabit Ports), better onboard audio, and RGB (not a big deal to me). The Unify has much better chipset fan placement (not directly underneath the GPU), dual 4 PIN CPU connectors that take some load off of the 24-pin connector, and a slightly better VRM cooling solution. Both have a power delivery set-up more than adequate for any Ryzen CPU you put in there.

Anyone have an opinion on Asus vs MSI motherboards?
Just went through that whole search myself. Weeks of watching youtube reviews and reading forums and came down to those same two motherboards. For me it came down to two things. The MSI has 3 M.2 slots that I really wanted but the unify only comes with realtek lan which I have never liked and never had one that wasnt a driver and stability nightmare. If it was a secondary 2.5gb lan that I would never use I would be okay with it. But as an only lan, no way. So it was either go Asus or spend 60 more for the Ace which I have even less interest in, Strix-e on the way.

dual 4 PIN CPU connectors that take some load off of the 24-pin connector, and a slightly better VRM cooling solution.

This is incorrect. It has dual 8-pin CPU power connectors but they do not take a load off the 24-pin power connector. The second 8-pin connector is entirely supplemental and its not even necessary.

This is incorrect. It has dual 8-pin CPU power connectors but they do not take a load off the 24-pin power connector. The second 8-pin connector is entirely supplemental and its not even necessary.
I thought I saw a buildzoid video where he mentions that the dual 8 pin actually does something on the MSI boards. Something to the effect that it sends power to the GPU so it doesnt have to come through the 24 pin.

Not 100% sure though since I watched like 100 video's on x570 boards

Just went through that whole search myself. Weeks of watching youtube reviews and reading forums and came down to those same two motherboards. For me it came down to two things. The MSI has 3 M.2 slots that I really wanted but the unify only comes with realtek lan which I have never liked and never had one that wasnt a driver and stability nightmare. If it was a secondary 2.5gb lan that I would never use I would be okay with it. But as an only lan, no way. So it was either go Asus or spend 60 more for the Ace which I have even less interest in, Strix-e on the way.

Realtek has a bad rep for their previous LANs but their new products have felt stable. I believe even buildzoid says in one video that he doesn't like Realtek and at this point he doesn't even know why. I've used the Realtek 2.5 LAN and it has worked fine for the entire time. I haven't read any complaints with their new 2.5gb LAN. It's been stable, reliable, and haven't had any annoying issues like LAN waking up my PC. Honestly, can't tell the difference between it and the Intel LAN I've been using for years prior.

The only thing that completely turned me off from ASUS is that it is the only major brand for the X570 motherboards that still doesn't have a chipset fan profile that turns it off when below certain temperatures. The chipset fan on these boards nearly never have to run. It never ran on my previous Gigabyte X570 board and doesn't run on my MSI board either. Also good to mention that the MSI has the only good chipset fan placement that isn't directly under the GPU where it'll suck in heat straight from the GPU exhaust.

I thought I saw a buildzoid video where he mentions that the dual 8 pin actually does something on the MSI boards. Something to the effect that it sends power to the GPU so it doesnt have to come through the 24 pin.

Bingo, that's where I got my information too. I believe it was actually from his breakdown of the X570 Unify. If its true, I'm beginning to wonder if its not the cause of my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra acting erratically on boot/wake-up.

***Minor Update***

I've been troubleshooting the issue and haven't gotten anywhere. I replaced my PSU and the issue still happens. EVGA and MSI technical support gave up on the issue and both said it isn't their products fault, but EVGA offered to RMA the card to rule it out if I want to go that way. The card works in two other systems flawlessly so I think I agree with EVGA on this one. I was going to give the Gigabyte X570 another shot (the Master this time around), but the thread on the main motherboard forum regarding the boards not powering on turned me off again.

Trying to find a X570 motherboard that doesn't have some inherent issue or unfavorable traits has been very difficult. A part of me just wants to get a cheap X470 board at this point and then upgrade to a X670 board once they're released alongside the Ryzen 4000 CPUs.

If you were local I'd swap in the Ace for you to test while it's down for watercooling. Best of luck on your search.

I bought an ASUS Crosshair VII Hero X470 motherboard for $195 from Amazon just now. Going to try it out and if it works with my 2080 Ti I’ll reluctantly return my MSI Unify to Amazon for a full refund and pocket the $100 I saved for when I upgrade to Zen 3 and potentially an X670 motherboard.

Last edited:

What the extra power is used for was supplementary power for the PCI-Express expansion slots. This is how the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE can run four graphics cards without melting or requiring you to plug in a separate molex or PCIe power cable on the edge of the motherboard. This doesn't change load characteristics on the 24-pin connector. It just adds additional power so that all of the PCIe slots can supply up to 75 watts of power. This is actually what Buildzoid said specifically.

What the extra power is used for was supplementary power for the PCI-Express expansion slots. This is how the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE can run four graphics cards without melting or requiring you to plug in a separate molex or PCIe power cable on the edge of the motherboard. This doesn't change load characteristics on the 24-pin connector. It just adds additional power so that all of the PCIe slots can supply up to 75 watts of power. This is actually what Buildzoid said specifically.
Thanks for the clarification. I went back and relistened to it and you are correct.

The way he talks about MSI’s power delivery system for the PCI-E components sounds almost unique to the board/brand and different than other boards. It is really making me question whether it is the cause of my issue with the 2080 Ti FTW3. EVGA told me that the RTX cards are much more sensitive to power irregularities than previous generations so I’m wondering if EVGA’s custom PCB for the FTW3 cards doesn’t agree with MSI’s power delivery approach?

I bought an ASUS Crosshair VII Hero X470 motherboard for $195 from Amazon just now. Going to try it out and if it works with my 2080 Ti I’ll reluctantly return my MSI Unify to Amazon for a full refund and pocket the $100 I saved for when I upgrade to Zen 3 and potentially an X670 motherboard.

If you have time to cancel it, I'd do it.

The X470 Hero has a sleep issue with the infinity fabric with the "latest" BIOS. Might as well go for the Strix E X570

If you have time to cancel it, I'd do it.

The X470 Hero has a sleep issue with the infinity fabric with the "latest" BIOS. Might as well go for the Strix E X570
If that’s the case I’m honestly thinking about scrapping this entire project. I’ve never run into so many issues with a new build before.

EDIT: looked into it a bit more and apparently the issue doesn’t occur with hybrid sleep, just full sleep. So I’m ok with using that instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing the research. May look into enabling hybrid sleep for me heh.

Thanks for doing the research. May look into enabling hybrid sleep for me heh.
Give it a try and let me know. My order is currently back ordered until the 21st so I have some time to decide.

Yeah other than the compatibility issue with my X570 Unify and 2080 Ti FTW3, the motherboard has basically been perfect. Other GPUs work fine in it.

I might just go ahead and RMA my card as well and see if it fixes the issue, but I’m doubting it since as I mentioned before it works in other systems just fine. I don’t remember the last time I ran into hardware compatibility issues before.

Give it a try and let me know. My order is currently back ordered until the 21st so I have some time to decide.

I have no idea if it's going into full sleep or hybrid sleep (setting is on in Windows) but it's still showing half the IF clock on booting (FWIW, I have my RAM/IF at 3667)

Go for a Strix E/Crosshair 8?

Thanks for the clarification. I went back and relistened to it and you are correct.

The way he talks about MSI’s power delivery system for the PCI-E components sounds almost unique to the board/brand and different than other boards. It is really making me question whether it is the cause of my issue with the 2080 Ti FTW3. EVGA told me that the RTX cards are much more sensitive to power irregularities than previous generations so I’m wondering if EVGA’s custom PCB for the FTW3 cards doesn’t agree with MSI’s power delivery approach?
Wait, what? No, he is wrong about that. Anyone with a multimeter (or similar) can test that.

EDIT: even Buildzoid made a video about that.

As for the GPU power, even if it was on a common bus, it would still be all from the same "rail" on the PSU, anyways. All generated from the same source. I'd look into UEFI / Option ROM, etc settings first.

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
Wait, what? No, he is wrong about that. Anyone with a multimeter (or similar) can test that.

EDIT: even Buildzoid made a video about that.

As for the GPU power, even if it was on a common bus, it would still be all from the same "rail" on the PSU, anyways. All generated from the same source. I'd look into UEFI / Option ROM, etc settings first.

Yes I saw that as well, I didn't want to go through a number of Buildzoid videos, he does ramble on and on to find that error he found.

I have no idea if it's going into full sleep or hybrid sleep (setting is on in Windows) but it's still showing half the IF clock on booting (FWIW, I have my RAM/IF at 3667)

Go for a Strix E/Crosshair 8?
Nah not going to get a X570 board where you can’t have the chipset fan sit idle when temps are low. As I said in a previous post, the two X570 boards I’ve used (Gigabyte and MSI) never had to turn on the fan.

Poor placement of the fan plus the fact that it’s always on makes ASUS X570 boards very unappealing to me. Moving parts always have a much greater chance of failure so trying to reduce the amount of time the fan spins is ideal. Last thing I want is for some faulty bearings that’ll start making noise and I’ll have to tear out the entire motherboard to RMA it.

For some reason ASUS is the only major brand that hasn’t allowed for 0 RPM fan mode on the X570 boards.

Sent my 2080 Ti FTW3 for RMA today. Going to try the replacement on my MSI board before swapping in the Crosshair VII Hero. Really trying to make it work with this board before I give up on it completely.

Question, why is sleep even still a thing? Your pc can cold boot in what? 3 seconds? Even since ssd sata drives were barely a thing all i have ever done with sleep mode is set it disabled. Sleep has always has issues, drivers fail to initial, screen doesnt detect, and its only benefit was 'quicker usable pc'. Now its benefit is null and you are trying to make it reliable? Seems masochistic.

Question, why is sleep even still a thing? Your pc can cold boot in what? 3 seconds? Even since ssd sata drives were barely a thing all i have ever done with sleep mode is set it disabled. Sleep has always has issues, drivers fail to initial, screen doesnt detect, and its only benefit was 'quicker usable pc'. Now its benefit is null and you are trying to make it reliable? Seems masochistic.
I guess I didn’t update the thread completely. It also happened when my PC was shut off for periods of several hours. If it wasn’t for that issue I would’ve just dealt with shutting down my PC.

Just a quick update. The replacement RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 came in a couple weeks ago and I decided to toss it into the X570 Unify (I was set on swapping to the Crosshair VII); the problem did not reoccur. So I guess the issue was indeed with the original RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 I had. Glad I tested it out as just a few days later news came out about AMD dropping support for X470 motherboards with Zen 3 which I fully intend on upgrading to. Sticking with the MSI X570 Unify; its been treating me great!

Even since ssd sata drives were barely a thing all i have ever done with sleep mode is set it disabled.

I don't use sleep either. Just shut off the PC when I'm not using it and turn it back on when I want to use it. The PC has such a low power draw when idle it's not a big deal if it sits on for extended times. I mean it's still less than an old style incandescent house light. I do sleep the monitor though. I've never had one wear out, but I don't like it to run for long periods when I'm not using it.

Back