X570 Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi and 128 GB RAM at 3600

Hammer!

Limp Gawd
Hi, running above with a 5950X and the latest BIOS 3601. The kit I have is the 4 stick G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C18Q-128GTZN and it’s on the board QVL. But I can’t get it to boot at anything higher than 3200. I’ve also tried Ryzen Dram Calculator, but still no go. Anyone else have this issue or have ideas to get it to work?

You need to give it some voltage to that memory, if you have not try 1.45 volts. I have 64 gigs and needed that to overclock the memory on my Dark hero.

Does the QVL rate it for 128GB of Ram or something less? This makes a big difference im sure

personally i would not be over obsessed with hitting 3600 over 3200 but between mores voltage and tweaking timings relaxed should to do it. From my experience with Asus bios versions from one to the next shit happens and what once work wont any more lol. they fix one issue and create another :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not well versed on all things memory and o/c, but both my 3900x and now, 5950 x, run smoothly at 3600...My G.Skill is 2x16 and 16-16-19. MB is a Gigabyte X570 Ultra. CPU is mostly stock in Auto OC for now. Would 128 vs 32 gb and 4 sticks vs 2 make a difference?

Hi, running above with a 5950X and the latest BIOS 3601. The kit I have is the 4 stick G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C18Q-128GTZN and it’s on the board QVL. But I can’t get it to boot at anything higher than 3200. I’ve also tried Ryzen Dram Calculator, but still no go. Anyone else have this issue or have ideas to get it to work?
You need to give it some voltage to that memory, if you have not try 1.45 volts. I have 64 gigs and needed that to overclock the memory on my Dark hero.
Hi, thank you for the advice! Board finally booted at 3600 using 1.1 SOC and 1.45V. Lowered that to 1.44 and that booted fine too…running memtest to test stability.

Interesting. I'm not well versed on all things memory and o/c, but both my 3900x and now, 5950 x, run smoothly at 3600...My G.Skill is 2x16 and 16-16-19. MB is a Gigabyte X570 Ultra. CPU is mostly stock in Auto OC for now. Would 128 vs 32 gb and 4 sticks vs 2 make a difference?
I’m not an expert either, but I think 2 vs 4 dimms make a difference.

I assume when you say boot that is start Windows. If you mean you can't get into bios please clarify. If you swapped out a CPU from say a 3900x to 5950 I would populate DIMM-1 or one stick and hard reset the bios CMOS CLEAR with battery out. This will reset the IRQ table. Then reflash the bios and before trying to boot go into bios and set optimized defaults then shut down populate all four slots again and go into bios again setting optimized defaults F10>Yes. One more time, again go into bios without trying to boot and set xmp profile 1. If there is more than one XMP profile consult documentation for proper XMP mode for your setup. Now go back into bios and checking all settings. You want to see memory running in bios at 3600. Asus bios is notorious for setting CPU core voltage too high. I always have to go in to bios after a flash and setting optimized defaults to turn it down to 1.325 or 1.35v on my 3900x which defaults to 1.45v not sure what to use with 5950x. GL

I assume when you say boot that is start Windows. If you mean you can't get into bios please clarify. If you swapped out a CPU from say a 3900x to 5950 I would populate DIMM-1 or one stick and hard reset the bios CMOS CLEAR with battery out. This will reset the IRQ table. Then reflash the bios and before trying to boot go into bios and set optimized defaults then shut down populate all four slots again and go into bios again setting optimized defaults F10>Yes. One more time, again go into bios without trying to boot and set xmp profile 1. If there is more than one XMP profile consult documentation for proper XMP mode for your setup. Now go back into bios and checking all settings. You want to see memory running in bios at 3600. Asus bios is notorious for setting CPU core voltage too high. I always have to go in to bios after a flash and setting optimized defaults to turn it down to 1.325 or 1.35v on my 3900x which defaults to 1.45v not sure what to use with 5950x. GL
Sorry for not being clear...I mean the bios will turn the computer on/off a few times and the default the RAM back to stock speed. (2666, I think). I am now able to pass Memtest using 1.1 SOC and 1.44 RAM. Everything else Auto or whatever Optimized Defaults give me. I wonder why the kit is sold as 128GB at 1.35 and on the QVL if the way to run it is to set to 1.44 or 1.45V...

This. Feed more to the SOC especially- gskill tends to be ok at 1.35, but maxed amounts will take more juice to the SOC.
Hi, do you mean 1.35 for SOC? I'm able to get it running using 1.1V for SOC, but I need 1.44 or 1.45 on the RAM.

This. 1.1 for the SoC, 1.35-1.4 on G.Skill RAM is where I start. Corsair is 1.4-1.45. Go higher if you have to - x570 and 128G is touchy (hell, so is TRX40/x399...).
Yes, thanks…settled on 1.1 for soc and 1.44 for RAM. I can go a little lower and still pass memtest, but with the lower settings, the system does not boot from a cold start (Eg., the bios will try a few times to boot, and eventually give up and revert to stock settings). The higher values allow me to start fine after completely shutting down. Also, to use PBO, I need the higher settings.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, thanks…settled on 1.1 for soc and 1.44 for RAM. I can go a little lower and still pass memtest, but with the lower settings, the system does not boot from a cold start (Eg., the bios will try a few times to boot, and eventually give up and revert to stock settings). The higher values allow me to start fine after completely shutting down. Also, to use PBO, I need the higher settings.

Thanks everyone!
Yeah, I've gotten in the habit of doing that pretty much constantly on any ryzen system. XMP isn't perfect on them except with G.Skill and smaller RAM quantities.

Back