X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Tried manually tweaking RAM and could barely even get it stable at stock. Gave up and just went with DOCP, which has them stock and stable.

Newegg has these back in stock. This was the last thing that I have been waiting for to upgrade my Haswell-E to 5900x.

I used to have a qcode of AA while in windows. Shows 9E now after upgrading to 3801. No luck getting to 2000 IF still. What's everyone else's experience been on 3801?

Is there any way to disable the motherboard from displaying this 9E code? When I turned off TPM, I get code "AR" that's always displaying. I prefer to have all mobo lights off. Any suggestions?
I was able to disable the code by going into Advanced, ROG Effects, and changing it to Aura Only while system is on/operational. This disables the LED codes after BIOS boots.

Is there any way to disable the motherboard from displaying this 9E code? When I turned off TPM, I get code "AR" that's always displaying. I prefer to have all mobo lights off. Any suggestions?

Yes, easy. In the BIOS, hover your mouse over the "AURA" tab/button (at the very top right of your BIOS screen, one tab before the last one). Click it and then select "ALL OFF". Then save/exit from BIOS and once it reboots, all motherboard lights (to include the post code indicator LEDs) will be off.

Wonde if this will fix some nvme speed issue that been cropping up lately with my rig. The software toolkit for the drives show them running at rated speeds but soon as I load up as SSD it drops around 1550mbs read and about 1000 mbs write in testing.

This is the board I used to build my 5950X system with and it was never stable. To the point that the system was completely unusable due to random power-offs that ended up killing my installation of Windows...

I wasn't able to troubleshoot it properly due to lack of available time to waste, so I just drained the coolant and disassembled it.

When I got time about 10 days ago, I installed an air-cooled 5800X and air cooled video card and used different RAM and reloaded Win 10. It's been rock-solid since so the processor, video card, or RAM seems to be the culprit.

This is the board I used to build my 5950X system with and it was never stable. To the point that the system was completely unusable due to random power-offs that ended up killing my installation of Windows...

I wasn't able to troubleshoot it properly due to lack of available time to waste, so I just drained the coolant and disassembled it.

When I got time about 10 days ago, I installed an air-cooled 5800X and air cooled video card and used different RAM and reloaded Win 10. It's been rock-solid since so the processor, video card, or RAM seems to be the culprit.
Yeah, I have a 5800X or a Dark Hero too. Works fine for me. I prefer the better per-core performance, considering I don't really use anything that utilizes massive threading. Anyways, I suppose you ought to be reminded to edit your signature, right? Hahaha, just sayin'.

Yeah, I have a 5800X or a Dark Hero too. Works fine for me. I prefer the better per-core performance, considering I don't really use anything that utilizes massive threading. Anyways, I suppose you ought to be reminded to edit your signature, right? Hahaha, just sayin'.
Done.

A new BIOS (non beta!) just dropped for the Dark Hero. Have fun!

Version 4004 Released: 2021/02/22 (20.65 MBytes)

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4004
1. Updated to AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b
2. Improved system performance and stability

Wonder if this AGESA version fixes the FTPM problems...

Realized the stuttering I get in youtube and twitch are all TPM related. That seriously dents any enthusiasm to move any of my PCs to Win11 since they are all AMD Zen2/3 based at this point.

I used to have the time to test new BIOSes but I'll let everyone else do that this time around.

Last edited:

Realized the stuttering I get in youtube and twitch are all TPM related. That seriously dents any enthusiasm to move any of my PCs to Win11 since they are all AMD Zen2/3 based at this point.

I used to have the time to test new BIOSes but I'll let everyone else do that this time around.
Interesting, How did you find this out?

Interesting, How did you find this out?
I was already noticing some infrequent stuttering happening when playing twitch and youtube videos. Never really linked it to past BIOS versions and to be honest it wasn't really on my radar since it wasn't anything more than a mild annoyance. At one point I did think it was related to my upgrade from a 1070TI to an RX 6600XT.

Was reading the AMD subreddit the other day and saw a bunch of people talking about TPM causing stutters, and disabling the TPM in the BIOS caused the issue to go away. Some had symptoms way worse though. Disabled my FTPM and the video stutters went away too.

Another new BIOS (non beta!) just dropped for the Dark Hero. Have fun!

Version 4006 Released: 2021/03/10 (20.65 MBytes)

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4006
2. Improved system performance for AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
3. Improved system compatibility and stability

Note
: It doesn't really appear to offer much beyond improved Ryzen 4800X3D support. So if you just upgraded to BIOS Ver 4004, you can probably skip this one.

Another new BIOS (non beta!) just dropped for the Dark Hero. Have fun!

Version 4006 Released: 2021/03/10 (20.65 MBytes)

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4006
2. Improved system performance for AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
3. Improved system compatibility and stability

Note: It doesn't really appear to offer much beyond improved Ryzen 4800X3D support. So if you just upgraded to BIOS Ver 4004, you can probably skip this one.

It kind of bothers me that they just took the 4004 version down. They usually just add new versions, but 4004 got replaced. Makes me wonder if something was majorly wrong with it.

This is the last AMD computer I buy. My computer will pause like once every day. I thought that I had defective hardware, but it's this FTPM fucking crap. AMD just doesn't know how to make rock solid computers. I NEVER had fundamental problems like this with Intel. Never again.

Really, we're at the point where performance and other bullshit doesn't even matter. All I ask is for a fucking computer to WORK. I didn't spend 5 grand on some piece of shit that would randomly STOP while I'm doing something. Ugh.

This is the last AMD computer I buy. My computer will pause like once every day. I thought that I had defective hardware, but it's this FTPM fucking crap. AMD just doesn't know how to make rock solid computers. I NEVER had fundamental problems like this with Intel. Never again.

Really, we're at the point where performance and other bullshit doesn't even matter. All I ask is for a fucking computer to WORK. I didn't spend 5 grand on some piece of shit that would randomly STOP while I'm doing something. Ugh.
Chill sir, turn FTPM off and enjoy the system. AMD said the new AGESA will be out in a month or two to fix it :)

I'll continue to buy AMD when they offer the best product for me for the money, and will buy Intel when they do the same.

Chill sir, turn FTPM off and enjoy the system. AMD said the new AGESA will be out in a month or two to fix it :)

I'll continue to buy AMD when they offer the best product for me for the money, and will buy Intel when they do the same.

This computer's already a year old. 14 months is not an acceptable time frame to have a st-st-stuttering computer. And this is all assuming that the "fix" even fixes it. AMD has a history of fixes that don't actually fix the problem.

I'm pissed about The Phantom Menace (TPM) in general. NO consumers asked for this. I couldn't care less about this stupid "feature." It's not for consumers. It's like HDCP. More bullshit that can go wrong with your hardware to protect other people's intellectual property.

Reactions: mda
like this
This computer's already a year old. 14 months is not an acceptable time frame to have a st-st-stuttering computer. And this is all assuming that the "fix" even fixes it. AMD has a history of fixes that don't actually fix the problem.

I'm pissed about The Phantom Menace (TPM) in general. NO consumers asked for this. I couldn't care less about this stupid "feature." It's not for consumers. It's like HDCP. More bullshit that can go wrong with your hardware to protect other people's intellectual property.
While you are 100% correct, I am still overall happy with the system all things considered. Not sure I would have been a lot happier with a 10G or 11G Intel at this point. 12th Gen on the other hand...

Don’t install windows 11, turn off TPM.

Huh, I also had installed Win11, ended up with TPM errors and got a 00 code a few times all on my dark hero/5950x. Just saw there was a newer bios so guess I'll try that out.

A few weeks ago, my system (5950x on a Dark Hero with 64 GB of RAM and a 3080) started powering off randomly while playing PUBG. I thought it was temps or maybe the PSU, but temps seemed fine. I went ahead and updated the BIOS and since then, it has been fine (so far). I’m going to start adding memory and overlock settings gradually to see if I can maintain stability.

I have an odd issue with my Dark Hero setup. It sits powered off for most of the day and I'll power it up for maybe an hour or so before I hit the sack and surf the web and then turn it back off.
Maybe once every couple of weeks the machine won't power on. I have to switch the PSU off and wait for the ROG and power LED lights to go completely off, then switch on the PSU and press the case power switch and it fires right up.
Anyone else experience this?

I have an odd issue with my Dark Hero setup. It sits powered off for most of the day and I'll power it up for maybe an hour or so before I hit the sack and surf the web and then turn it back off.
Maybe once every couple of weeks the machine won't power on. I have to switch the PSU off and wait for the ROG and power LED lights to go completely off, then switch on the PSU and press the case power switch and it fires right up.
I'm not going to be of any use to you but I've had this same issue on several Asus boards over the last ten years.

I'm not going to be of any use to you but I've had this same issue on several Asus boards over the last ten years.
I've been using Asus boards exclusively for my builds over the past 25 years and haven't had this issue before.
It's possible that it's a PSU issue, I'll know eventually when I get around to swapping the mobo into the new Corsair 680X case I bought back in July along with a Corsair PSU.

Sounds like a memory training issue.

I've been using Asus boards exclusively for my builds over the past 25 years and haven't had this issue before.
It's possible that it's a PSU issue, I'll know eventually when I get around to swapping the mobo into the new Corsair 680X case I bought back in July along with a Corsair PSU.
I've used them exclusively since 2008 after my last evga board. The closest I came to figuring it out was one system wouldnt have the issue if I just used it like a server with only power and network connections.

Edit: I just realized I have three of their x570 boards alone. Not pictured is the C8H in the server.
PXL_20220325_145252084.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Aynone tried the latest, Version 4201 - Beta Version?
I tried it on the C8H. It seemed fine stability wise. However, after a power outage, it stopped boosting my 5950x above 3850 all core in CB20. I have a thread on it. I rolled back to 4006 and still have the same issues, so take that for what you will.

Back