X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

You can imagine how happy I was to see a bubble envelope used for my 5950x. Needless to say, I kept the CPU, but complained alot to the CSR's for an $85 refund. They also rejected my feedback after telling buyers to be weary since Amazon likes to send CPU's in bubble envelopes. View attachment 361847
You people have terrible amazon warehouses. Everything I order that is not clothes always comes in a box. Granted they have like zero padding inside and the item just flops around in there. Never had anything damaged. Never even had a smashed box either. They always in perfect condition.

You can imagine how happy I was to see a bubble envelope used for my 5950x. Needless to say, I kept the CPU, but complained alot to the CSR's for an $85 refund. They also rejected my feedback after telling buyers to be weary since Amazon likes to send CPU's in bubble envelopes. View attachment 361847
damn thats brutal i was lucky mine was shipped to BB then my bro bubble wrapped it and put in a xpress post box.

Drove 2 hrs to a Microcenter and bought my 5900x in person, just to avoid these horror stories (and because it was one of the few places i could find it in stock for a decent price).

The way it handles core boosting is a bit different from the other X570 boards.
Unfortunately that turned out to be a nonstarter in my experience. It offered no benefit in my testing because different operations require different amounts of power draw. This is obvious to anyone who's ever considered the extreme heat generated by, e.g., AVX512 on Intel. So whatever amperage cutoff you set will be miscalibrated for some types of operations, and you can't reconfigure this outside of the BIOS. Leaving it on Auto also doesn't work - it just sets it to default of 45 and, as far as I know, there's no way to dynamically do it. FWIW, Dark Hero also didn't memory OC as well as an Aorus Master I tested it against at the time, and the latter was half the price.

DH is a great board, ASUS makes great boards, and what I've described is mostly splitting hairs territory. Maybe in future they'll find a way to auto-tune amp cutoff dynamically. Or, maybe that's asking the impossible because there's no way for it to predict the workload you're going to run next.

Last edited:
Yeah well I figured I won't be upgrading for awhile as DDR 5 matures then I'll retire this GPU into a HTPC if need be. Depending how long it lasts I have 4 yrs of warrrenty lol

So I flashed the latest BIOS 3601. Everything seems fine. Though if you reset your bios using saved profiles you probably will not want to do that as I was unable to boot. Had to reset my BIOS and just re-configure it manually again to the same settings.

Latest I can find for that mobo is 3501, is that what you meant? I have the Hero (non-Dark) version. The latest bios is still considered beta and it's been two months. I wonder when they are going to roll out the official one. Seems ridiculous.

He loaded up the 3601 beta version that first appeared a few weeks ago on a forum out in China and has been floating around:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-3601-AGESA-1-2-0-3-Patch&p=835231#post835268
https://www.overclock.net/threads/a...cussion-thread.1728796/page-361#post-28819316

I'm waiting until it's on an official ASUS site myself, beta or not. Yes, it's been a solid 2 months since the 3501 beta first hit... seems they are really taking their time - must be some interesting things being worked to cause such a long delay with it.

Last edited:
He loaded up the 3601 beta version that first appeared a few weeks ago on a forum out in China and has been floating around:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-3601-AGESA-1-2-0-3-Patch&p=835231#post835268
https://www.overclock.net/threads/a...cussion-thread.1728796/page-361#post-28819316

I'm waiting until it's on an official ASUS site myself, beta or not. Yes, it's been a solid 2 months since the 3501 beta first hit... seems they are really taking their time - must be some interesting things being worked to cause such a long delay with it.
I'm about 3 versions back on BIOS. I just upgraded to a 5950x, but I've been waiting to update BIOS until it's not beta. Maybe, I'll just pull the trigger.

I'm about 3 versions back on BIOS. I just upgraded to a 5950x, but I've been waiting to update BIOS until it's not beta. Maybe, I'll just pull the trigger.
I've got a 5950x arriving in ten days or so... hoping the latest BIOS is released as non-beta by then. (They've had plenty of time to work a non-beta release!)

Coming here for some guidance/information. I will be dropping the 5950X into my ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Pro, but I won’t have a good place for the 3900x to go (VM/App server).

Would you recommend the DH?

Coming here for some guidance/information. I will be dropping the 5950X into my ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Pro, but I won’t have a good place for the 3900x to go (VM/App server).

I would put the 5950x in the Dark Hero and the 3900x in the Tuf. Dark Hero has a unique curve optimizer hybrid mode that the others do not.

Why pair the DH with the lessor CPU? The DH is a much more premium mb then the TUF Gaming Pro - and it is better optimized internally to drive the 5950X to its full potential. You should be getting the DH for the 5950x and relegating the 3900x to the TUF Gaming Pro.
I would put the 5950x in the Dark Hero and the 3900x in the Tuf. Dark Hero has a unique curve optimizer hybrid mode that the others do not.
Ditto!

Why pair the DH with the lessor CPU? The DH is a much more premium mb then the TUF Gaming Pro - and it better optimized internally to drive the 5950X to its full potential. You should be getting the DH for the 5950x and relegating the 3900x to the TUF Gaming Pro.

Ditto!

I do not plan to. The 5950x shipped, and I am eyeing the DH as its home. While reviews make it seem extremely good (not saying it isn't), I wondered if folks here ran into issues or had another recommendation. I just had to wait for Amazon to sell it and not someone trying to scalp it for $600.

This feature is what drew me to the motherboard.

I do not plan to. The 5950x shipped, and I am eyeing the DH as its home.
Strange. Your post just before the above stated: “I will be dropping the 5950X into my ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Pro”
Are you two different people that happen to be sharing an account?

And no, there really isn’t a board that is considered “better” out there at driving a 5950x. Maybe just as good, with other peripheral features, but not better.

Strange. Your post just before the above stated: “I will be dropping the 5950X into my ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Pro”
Are you two different people that happen to be sharing an account?
Sorry, typing while holding a mad two-year-old who refuses to sleep.

Currently, I have the TUF (used it with the 3900X since release), the plan is to repurpose this system to VM/App server duty (selling the dual 2670 setup). I was looking for a better motherboard for the 5950X, hence seeking people's experiences with the DH. I rather not grab a cheaper supported motherboard for the 3900X and focus that money towards the DH. Which is currently purchased, waiting on Amazon to stock it & ship it.

If I didn't grab a new MB, the 5950X probably would end up in the TUF. Sorry if I was not clear earlier.

Sorry, typing while holding a mad two-year-old who refuses to sleep.
Been there… good times! :D

DH‘s are getting a bit easier to find… at least they pop up and are in stock more often now then over the last 6 months. However, they still go quick due to demand. If you have a 5950x incoming, it’s definitely one of the best mb options out there and I’d definitely recommend it.

My 5950X and DH board are on a shelf right now until I get off my lazy ass and either fix the OG Titan I have or buy a 6900xt/3090...

Actually now that I think about it even if I had the video card I still couldn't build the system because my watercooling fittings and related parts won't arrive until tomorrow.

ordstatus.jpg

Last edited:
I'm putting together a 5950x build with the Dark Hero and I'm looking at either this RAM kit, or this one. Neither are on the Asus QVL, but G.Skill lists both as compatible with the Dark Hero. Is G.Skill's QVL generally reliable? Ideally I would prefer the CL14 kit since, well, it's faster, but the CL16 kit might be more likely to work without issue, and I'm not sure the performance difference would even be noticeable.

I'm putting together a 5950x build with the Dark Hero and I'm looking at either this RAM kit, or this one. Neither are on the Asus QVL, but G.Skill lists both as compatible with the Dark Hero. Is G.Skill's QVL generally reliable? Ideally I would prefer the CL14 kit since, well, it's faster, but the CL16 kit might be more likely to work without issue, and I'm not sure the performance difference would even be noticeable.
Unless you're benching for high scores, just get some g.skill with Hynix chips. Look for 3600 speeds with 16-19-19-39 xmp settings. This should be on the QVL for your board, it is on the QVL for the standard Crosshair VIII X570. I haven't had any issues with it. Of course, when I bought, it was only $259.99.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC

Last edited:
Both kits should work. Since it is 4 DIMMs, it could be slightly more tricky to get working at full 3600 speed and rated timings, but the Dark Hero should not be the thing holding that back and you will have the best chance of it working. I've got 2x16GB sticks of the first set of RAM you linked (the CL16). Works perfectly. I agree that the added cost of the CL14 may not be worth it, not to mention the higher required voltage. 1.45V is a bit high for my liking for a 24x7 system like mine which is why I opted to just go with the CL16 at 1.35V.

*** PSA: ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 3601 is now offically out!

And for a change, this one is NOT labeled/marked as a beta!

Version 3601
2021/06/16 20.53 MBytes

Release Notes:
1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
2. Improve system stability

Get it while it's hot here!

*** PSA: ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 3601 is now offically out!

And for a change, this one is NOT labeled/marked as a beta!

Version 3601
2021/06/16 20.53 MBytes

Release Notes:
1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
2. Improve system stability

Get it while it's hot here!
I'll be a Guinea pig

*** Edit: Looks like it is indeed back up. Weird that it was up and then they pulled it for a few minutes... but it now is back up again.

--------------------------------------

Annnnnnnd they just pulled it. Site is back to 3501 beta now... someone must have jumped the shark.

Proof that it was up:
1623886361992.png

Last edited:
I literally updated my non-Dark Crosshairs VIII to the 3501 beta last night. I got tired of waiting. Oh well. I saved my profile.

I literally updated my non-Dark Crosshairs VIII to the 3501 beta last night. I got tired of waiting. Oh well. I saved my profile.

PSA: Be careful when you update and try to restore a profile. I updated to 3601 and when I tried to load my profile from 3401 stable onto 3601 i noticed a bunch of really odd values and weird characters in the summary right before I was about to load the profile and reboot. Almost like the profile was corrupted or something. I read somewhere at least one other person had issues when restoring a profile after a bios update to 3601 that caused them to boot loop. I just exported my settings to a text file and input them manually to 3601. Then saved the manually entered stuff and overwrote the old profile. Tedious, but worth not having to deal with the extra headache.

any updates to some performance improvement on 3601 or is it just for compatibility

PSA: Be careful when you update and try to restore a profile. I updated to 3601 and when I tried to load my profile from 3401 stable onto 3601 i noticed a bunch of really odd values and weird characters in the summary right before I was about to load the profile and reboot. Almost like the profile was corrupted or something. I read somewhere at least one other person had issues when restoring a profile after a bios update to 3601 that caused them to boot loop. I just exported my settings to a text file and input them manually to 3601. Then saved the manually entered stuff and overwrote the old profile. Tedious, but worth not having to deal with the extra headache.
Noticed the same thing when it listed the items for a profile "restore" from one of my saved profiles that I attempted with 3601. I just used/loaded the "Safe defaults" options and then went back in and manually set everything back up to where I had it. This new BIOS obviously moves some things around structurally so that it is no longer compatible with old profile saves.

Thanks for the heads up.

any updates to some performance improvement on 3601 or is it just for compatibility
Not noticing anything as to any real performance bumps yet (either negative or positive), but the fact that it brings in AMD's latest AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A and also addresses improvements to systems stability are both good enough reasons in my book to apply and use it.

I am going to update my bios shortly, any suggested optimal settings I should setup?

PSA on new DH 3601 BIOS:

One other thing I'll mention about using this new 3601 BIOS is that I think ASUS has moved its internal BIOS layout/structure around significantly enough so that the DH's "Safe Boot" switch now also won't work (i.e. If your BIOS settings get you stuck in a non-POSTing situation/black screen, then using the "Safe Boot" switch will not allow you recover successfully from a failed MB POST.

So, if you are playing around with the DH's BIOS settings (memory for example) and set things up to where the MB may not POST/boot successfully (like using overly aggressive/incompatible memory settings), then the DH's "Safe Boot" momentary push button switch (located near the edge of the board near the last PCIe slot) seems to load up a set of defaults that are no longer compatible with the new 3601 BIOS structure/layout. And no amount of pushing that Safe Boot recover button will get you unstuck.

If you find yourself in this situation, the only way to recover successfully is to unplug your system's power supply cord, let residual power drain off and then pop the MB's CR2032 backup for a bit to allow the DH's BIOS settings to fully clear out. Then replace the battery, plug your PS back in and power back up - the DH will then once again POST successfully to its defaults.

I found this out the hard way playing around with the new g.Skill 4000 CAS 14 RAM that just released this month. Its stock speed/timings are simply too aggressive to run stable without WHEA errors with a 2000Mhz Infinity Fabric (at least in my experience with both a 5900x and a 5950x). When I tried lowering the CAS to 16, it didn't seem to like something and would no longer POST. So in my experience, 3600 RAM CAS 14 with a 1800 IF works well with both the 5900x and 5950x (even if you want to overclock the CPU slightly), but 4000 CAS 14 memory is simply too aggressive to remain fully stable.

PSA on new DH 3601 BIOS:

One other thing I'll mention about using this new 3601 BIOS is that I think ASUS has moved its internal BIOS layout/structure around significantly enough so that the DH's "Safe Boot" switch now also won't work (i.e. If your BIOS settings get you stuck in a non-POSTing situation/black screen, then using the "Safe Boot" switch will not allow you recover successfully from a failed MB POST.

So, if you are playing around with the DH's BIOS settings (memory for example) and set things up to where the MB may not POST/boot successfully (like using overly aggressive/incompatible memory settings), then the DH's "Safe Boot" momentary push button switch (located near the edge of the board near the last PCIe slot) seems to load up a set of defaults that are no longer compatible with the new 3601 BIOS structure/layout. And no amount of pushing that Safe Boot recover button will get you unstuck.

If you find yourself in this situation, the only way to recover successfully is to unplug your system's power supply cord, let residual power drain off and then pop the MB's CR2032 backup for a bit to allow the DH's BIOS settings to fully clear out. Then replace the battery, plug your PS back in and power back up - the DH will then once again POST successfully to its defaults.

I found this out the hard way playing around with the new g.Skill 4000 CAS 14 RAM that just released this month. Its stock speed/timings are simply too aggressive to run stable without WHEA errors with a 2000Mhz Infinity Fabric (at least in my experience with both a 5900x and a 5950x). When I tried lowering the CAS to 16, it didn't seem to like something and would no longer POST. So in my experience, 3600 RAM CAS 14 with a 1800 IF works well with both the 5900x and 5950x (even if you want to overclock the CPU slightly), but 4000 CAS 14 memory is simply too aggressive to remain fully stable.

It has a button on the back plate to reset the bios, so you don't have to pull the battery.

Back